I have an '04 and have RECURRING feathering
10.62%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Feathering poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Chicken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With only 410 votes, it seems the numbers aren't high enough to reasonably use the data (yet), but (if it hasn't been mentioned before), I found it hard to vote between...

> I have an '03, HAD feathering, but appears to be solved
> I have an '03 and have RECURRING feathering

-as I have an '03, had feathering, they replaced the front tires and did the alignment, but I can, in no way, say that the issue has been solved, nor can I say it has recurred (as it hasn't been long enough, about 500 miles, since the warranty work).

Need third option...

> I have an '03, HAD feathering, (tires & alignment done by dealer), not sure if it's fixed

That's really the only thing I could state for sure. I doubt what they did will fix it, but I can't say that at this time, nor could I choose the second choice above.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Zonny

Question Don't Know If It's Fixed Yet????

I bought my 03 Z Touring in Nov. 03. The noise started at about 4000 miles. Had front tires switched. A little less noise. Noise came back with a vengence. Had tires switch again and aligned according to Nissan Tech Bulletin. Noise (harmontics) started showing up at high speeds and roar at low speeds. Nissan replaced front tires at 12,000 miles (last month), I have not driven it enough too know if problem is fixed . . . maybe at 16,000 miles I will know?

I do know that once a wear pattern developes in your tires, it is nearly impossible to get rid of it and the noise that it creates.

No noise for NOW . . . wait and see.

This post needs another category for sound gone with new tires but waiting to see if it comes back.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:42 PM
pisces9ca

Angry Nissan drops the ball!

Just got a call from the local Nissan Service manger, the GRT(?) or Goodwill request to fix my tire roar problem has been turned down by Nissan. I'm 3 days past my 12 month warranty with only
6600 miles on the car. I have documentation from March and July of this year via email to Nissan dealers on the tire feathering/roar problem. Even though the 04 is unchanged from the '03 model, which has had it's warranty extended to 24/24, they are looking to screw the '04 owners. My build date is June /03.

We need another category:
04 with feathering and Nissan doesn't give a darn!

NNA file 4655946
I paid more for the z roadster than I did my RX300 SUV, which has 33,000 miles and I've not had a single problem with it.

Sticking to Toyota in the future, bye bye Nissan!

Last edited by pisces9ca; 08-23-2004 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Zonny

Unhappy Re: Nissan drops the ball!

Originally posted by pisces9ca
Just got a call from the local Nissan Service manger, the GRT(?) or Goodwill request to fix my tire roar problem has been turned down by Nissan. I'm 3 days past my 12 month warranty with only
6600 miles on the car. I have documentation from March and July of this year via email to Nissan dealers on the tire feathering/roar problem. Even though the 04 is unchanged from the '03 model, which has had it's warranty extended to 24/24, they are looking to screw the '04 owners. My build date is June /03.

We need another category:
04 with feathering and Nissan doesn't give a darn!

NNA file 4655946
I paid more for the z roadster than I did my RX300 SUV, which has 33,000 miles and I've not had a single problem with it.

Sticking to Toyota in the future, bye bye Nissan!

pisces9ca,

What a coincidence, my wife has a RX300, just turned 30,000 miles. Took it in for that Lexus 30,000 major service, cost $700 plus. Damn, that hurts too. Maybe we both should think about American made.

Old 08-29-2004, 06:34 AM
PumpedVA

WOW I didnt know this was as big of a problem to I did a search and found this post. I own a 03 tourning and got that letter in the mail about the tires but put it off to my next oil change 19k miles so I took a look today and my tires are showing the steal treads. **** I was rolling down the highway yesterday. lucky me. I take the car in monday mornning and wiill let you guys know what the do or say.

Hey has anybody found anything out about that class action suit? I just added my info to it.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:51 AM
350tre

i have an 04' enthusiast auto. i noticed greater road noise around the 7.5k mark, didn't really pay much attention to it. went to nissan for the 15k mile service. the manager came out and asked if i wanted to have the tires aligned to solve the tire feather issue. i informed him about the problems i have been reading about and how many other dealers were either aligning for free, or replaceing the tires, or some variation inbetween. i also tried pulling a fast one on him bye saying that there was a recall, or that unofficial, "we don't have to tell you" recall. he said that that was only for the 03' and i was **** outta luck. first off, isn't the feather issue because of the camber, which is not adjusted by aligning the wheels???? also he said flat out "you have feathering". duh! one thing i also noticed when i took off my wheels is that it seems nissan tried to fix the feathering issue by putting strips of weight on the outside edge of the inside of the rim. if you think about it, the additional weight on the oputside would cause the tire to spin in a more balanced fashion. it seems that nissan is well aware of the problem and instead of invest time and money into the feathering issue, they just decided that throwing some weight on it would be a temporary fix for the problem. what do you guys think ????
Old 08-30-2004, 07:54 AM
350tre

bye the way, my car purchase ended up being between, the rx8, thank god not, the 350z and the lexus is300, maybe i should have gone with the lexus, even though it was more expensive ???
Old 08-31-2004, 09:51 AM
deblooz

I noticed feathering about three weeks ago ('03 Track Daytona Blue) with 4,716 miles on tires. Dealer fixed per TSB 04-03. Drove across the states from MD, and seems to be okay after 2600 or so miles. Still, from what I seen here, I'll need more miles before I'm convinced.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:01 PM
churak

my 03 has 29K kms on it (18K miles), took it in for the "recall", and they ordered new fronts for me at Nissan's cost... I took both fronts off today (cause i'm painting the front calipers) and i noticed that the wear pattern does not "look" irregular at all, i'm actually surprised they're replacing them... the growl/hum at 20-30 mph is CRAZY loud though, so i'm glad... just hope it doesn't come back after they do the "so called" alignment
Old 09-07-2004, 10:43 AM
jwelsch

My 04 had the tires replaced at 8000 miles, now at about 14000 miles and I just noticed my right front is starting to feather. Have an appt. on Friday for them to take a look. Very frustrating and wish Nissan would just step up and fix this v.s. patching the issue.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:42 AM
Jimmybevis

I have an '03 Touring automatic.

My original set of tires started cupping/roaring at 5,000miles.
My second set of tires started cupping/roaring at 5,000miles.
My third set of tires are currently "on order" and my dealer (who has been very helpful and understanding) says Nissan has made another fix that will correct this problem. My dealer also says the problem is definately Nissan, and not the tire manufacturer.

Nissan does not suck.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:19 AM
PumpedVA

ok quick question I know a girl that leased her 03 Z now if this is a problem that might cause a blow out or make the car unsafe should she be able to cancle her lease without paying a fee?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:08 PM
sundawg

i will be getttin my 03 track edition this week, has 11k miles on it. how do i check to see if the car has ths problem and wut are the stock tires(brand model) also is there any way to contact nna to see if the car has undergone any warrenty work. this feathering issue seems to be a big problem
Old 09-13-2004, 04:39 AM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by sundawg
i will be getttin my 03 track edition this week, has 11k miles on it. how do i check to see if the car has ths problem and wut are the stock tires(brand model) also is there any way to contact nna to see if the car has undergone any warrenty work. this feathering issue seems to be a big problem
You should be albe to see the wear on the inside front tires. Also look to see if the tire on front are look new comparded to the rear. I had mine replaced at 18k (put it off for while should have been about 12k) but now you can really see the diffrence in wear. Also ask the owner for ALL service records on the car.

good luck
Old 09-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Zonny

Originally posted by PumpedVA
You should be albe to see the wear on the inside front tires. Also look to see if the tire on front are look new comparded to the rear. I had mine replaced at 18k (put it off for while should have been about 12k) but now you can really see the diffrence in wear. Also ask the owner for ALL service records on the car.

good luck

Surprisingly, mine at 12,000 miles showed very little feathering wear (they had been switched right to left @6,000), but the noise was unbearable.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
LuksEaZy

Funny thing happened today at my work...(I work for a Nissan Dealership) I had my nissan rep. come in...I had a customer on the phone at the time bitching about feathering problems. I told my Rep. and he said very quickly it is the alignment problem it needs to be realigned...I said quickly back to him I WILL ARGUE THEAT POINT ANYDAY. He shut up fast.

They honestly need to drive a 350z for awhile redo the alignment after 15,000 or when feathering starts and go drive it some more.
then those frinking Nissan Reps will shut up.

I know Nissan has probably done some extensive studies about...but how freakin hard is it to fix.....

I just got my tires replaced and realigned just to see how it does
Old 09-16-2004, 04:38 AM
PumpedVA

What burns my A#$ is they know the problem because the 04 and up dont have it. so FIX IT!!!!!! I just shell out the $ every 3k miles and get a new alignment its sucks but its better than buying new rubber
Old 09-20-2004, 05:52 AM
mistertaz

Hey people!

Looking to buy a 350z, but thought I'd check the net first for any problems! Ouch!

Couple of questions...

1. Anyone in Australia having feathering problems?

2. Any word on the A-arm fix from 350evo?

3. If anyone hears about the problem being fixed for the 2005 model, please yell out!

Thanks!

Taz.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:55 AM
350zRoadster04

Originally posted by PumpedVA
What burns my A#$ is they know the problem because the 04 and up dont have it. so FIX IT!!!!!! I just shell out the $ every 3k miles and get a new alignment its sucks but its better than buying new rubber
My '04 has it.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:20 AM
mistertaz

Oh yeah... and I'm sure a lot of you will already have read this on other forums, but there are rumours floating around that the feathering could be caused by:

a) inherent flexibility of the suspension, which was intended to improve handling during hard cornering and acceleration, but they didn't expect the tyre wear...

b) warping of the suspension architecture during overseas transportation...

Eh, apologies if I'm spouting old news...

Taz.

Quick Reply: Feathering poll