I have an '04 and have RECURRING feathering
10.62%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Feathering poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 03:48 PM
ltarnoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my '03 Touring with 6,700 miles on it and noticed the tire growl almost immediately. Dealer did the alignment and replaced the tires this week ... and all is quiet on the forward front. What a joy! I'm going to ask him about the A arms and see what he says. Any idea of the cost -- parts and labor???
Old 07-02-2004, 08:09 AM
ricka

I took my car in for the tires being 4 months old w/ feathering and they said that those type of tires (high performance) will feather and all is okay, just as long as they aren't cupping. I know they must have been smoking somthing, but what can I do when NNA only takes the dealerships word.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:50 AM
genbo

Default Fixed my feathering problem today.

Sad to say. Had enough. Sold the car.

Nissan you listening? You lost out on on this one. My friends were waiting on the fence to buy, wanted to see how you dealt with this problem. Oh well.....lots of other cars on the market.

Thinking of a G35 ... friends convinced me not to send any money even close to the Nissan direction. Looks like a BMW will take up the spot in my garage for now.

Good luck guys.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:01 AM
ricka

Default Re: Fixed my feathering problem today.

Originally posted by genbo
Sad to say. Had enough. Sold the car.

Nissan you listening? You lost out on on this one. My friends were waiting on the fence to buy, wanted to see how you dealt with this problem. Oh well.....lots of other cars on the market.

Thinking of a G35 ... friends convinced me not to send any money even close to the Nissan direction. Looks like a BMW will take up the spot in my garage for now.

Good luck guys.
Don't blame ya! Would do the same! Good luck w/ the BMW!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:19 PM
John2001gt

I voted:
I have an '03 and have RECURRING feathering

17,000 miles
Later 03, bought in April/May 03

My first tires lasted for 16k I believe. Nissan replaced the fronts and did the TSB without me even asking. I was really happy with how they dealt with it, must be a dealership thing. They even gave me a good price on the rears (which were also just about bald) so I got them there at the same time.

The car was SO much more quiet and smooth after the new alignment/tires, but it seems to be roaring a bit again. I hope it's just my imagination or something.

I still love the car. I never get many miles out of tires on any vehicle so I'm really not that upset.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:13 PM
d8abusa

Just got the front tires replaced for the third time. The car has 27K miles so they are starting to throw the prorate charge pitch. They replaced the tires without any hassle last week.

Today the car went back for the clicking in the axle and my driver side window needed a new drive motor and "regulator". They gave me back the car since all the parts had to be ordered (window drive motor, regulator, rear bearings for both sides, and rear seals).
Old 07-13-2004, 07:20 AM
ricka

Originally posted by d8abusa
Just got the front tires replaced for the third time. The car has 27K miles so they are starting to throw the prorate charge pitch. They replaced the tires without any hassle last week.

Today the car went back for the clicking in the axle and my driver side window needed a new drive motor and "regulator". They gave me back the car since all the parts had to be ordered (window drive motor, regulator, rear bearings for both sides, and rear seals).
Congrats on the tires. Did you have to deal w/ NNA to get the tires for free? What did you say so they gave in w/out the prorate charges? I obviously need help cause my front tires are feathering AGAIN and they wont replace them. I have 21.3K miles. Please offer some words of advise so I can get a third set of tires.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:29 PM
d8abusa

I just had my wife take the car in with a printout of the TSB in hand. I'm sure they of a note in their system to avoid me at all cost. My patience is pretty much gone.

My Z has had every common problem mentioned. The list is long and they know they don't have a leg to stand on.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:19 PM
ml2316

maybe the poll should differentiate between respondents who have more than > 4k miles and those who have less. respondents who have very low mileage aren't really adding any meaningful data to this poll (i guess i could create a separate one).
Old 07-17-2004, 03:25 PM
ml2316

Default Re: The REAL solution to 350Z tire feathering

Originally posted by midnight247
Hello all!

I am a new member and also an owner of a 350z. I am located in Canada.

I am an aerospace engineer and have looked into the tire feathering problem. I am well versed in vehicle dynamics and suspension.

I have received the tire feathering letter and have taken my car to get the front tires swapped and the alignment done. THIS IS NOT NOT NOT a real fix. The adjustment made by nissan in this notice is regarding the toe in of the vehicle. As many of you may have guessed, from the problem re-occurring after the adjustment being done, this has nothing to do with the feathering/cupping of the front tires. You can perform this service on the vehicle as many times as you would like and never solve the problem.

The real problem is that the vehicles geometry is a little off. This means that the camber angle of the front tires doesn't jive with the struts on the front end. The problem rears it's ugly head on the Z and not the G35 because the struts are different on the Z and not as forgiving as those found on the G35. Hopefully this all makes sense to you guys.

Enough with bad news.

The good news is that there is a REAL FIX for this problem. I have found a set of front control A arms that will, with out a doubt, fix the issue for good. They are from 350EVO. Here is the link where you can find the parts.

https://www.350evo.com/catalog/produ...2a813246504f18

g35 also exhibits feathering but at higher mileage (around 12k) due to higher tread tires. keep us updated on the effectiveness of the a-arms from 350evo. personally, i doubt they are going to fix the problem. i think if it worked 350evo would be advertising testimonials or citing their own tests.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:58 AM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK, the 350 EVO control arms only allow for camber adjustability, which likely is not going to help much. The heel-toe wear pattern that persists on these cars is usually the result of too much caster. Incorrect shock damping, relative to the spring rates, could also contribute. But the camber setting isn't a factor in the heel-toe wear pattern, although adjustable camber could still help get more even wear across the tire.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
jasonkimberson

Originally posted by GaryK
AFAIK, the 350 EVO control arms only allow for camber adjustability, which likely is not going to help much. The heel-toe wear pattern that persists on these cars is usually the result of too much caster. Incorrect shock damping, relative to the spring rates, could also contribute. But the camber setting isn't a factor in the heel-toe wear pattern, although adjustable camber could still help get more even wear across the tire.

love your avatar~!

Old 07-23-2004, 05:12 PM
RichK

I bought a used 03 with 15,000 miles and developed a bad window motor a week later. I took it to the Nissan dealer for that and a lookover and asked about the tires and low speed noise ( which didnt seem too bad until I drove a new 04).
Dealer said I would get new tires, had them in stock and would put them on when the window motor came in.

Guess what! Motor came in, tires went to someone else. Still waiting three weeks later. Tires in short supply.... Dealer said Nissan is checking all VINs, whatever that has to do with anything.

As to the extent of the problem...... I suspect that the short supply of tires affirms the problem is widespread.

Oh yeah..... dealer said my rears are getting close to replacement time. Just what kinda mileage is "normal"?

If this car eats tires at the rate of once a year for my driving rate, forget it.

Anyone see any articles in any car mags?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:08 AM
nsxpower

Just bough a new Z (Pack, EU spec) and it should be here tomorrow. I am very concerned with tire wear and REALLY don't want to experience the problem. That said there are no reports on EU modesl that I could find and I am not sure whether the problem exists in late '04 EU spec 350Zs.

I am also planning to put sways (not sure what brand and setting, please advise) and S03s after ripping through the stock tires on N-ring (that wont be until later this year though).
Old 08-04-2004, 01:10 PM
ml2316

i believe "amycroft" or "melissa" have an 04.5 Z with euro-spec suspension and it has developed feathering.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:18 PM
350zRoadster04

Seems like we should all band together and take some legal action against Nissan. This is ridiculous. Any attorneys reading this?
Old 08-04-2004, 02:49 PM
jwelsch

I've got a 04 performance model and ran into this problem within about 6000 miles. They replaced my tires and aligned the car..so far so good with 12000 miles..We'll see
Old 08-04-2004, 10:00 PM
TSpeed

I've got an 04 Touring, but only 1K miles. It seems like all 350s will have the same feathering problem. I hate to think that replacing fronts and correcting alignment would the future of my Z.

Seems like correcting toe/camber is a temporary fix. Anyone know if it's cheap tires or alignment just getting out of whack? I read somewhere that aftermarket wheels would void the manuf warranty. Anyone with aftermarket wheels have feathering probs?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:32 PM
ml2316

there is no reported aftermarket mod that has fixed feathering. everyone on this board (who had feathering to begin with) who tried different tires, different suspension parts, different wheels, etc continued to experience feathering. 350evo front control arms are rumored to fix it though. but nobody has reported from experience yet.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:37 AM
TSpeed

Originally posted by ml2316
there is no reported aftermarket mod that has fixed feathering. everyone on this board (who had feathering to begin with) who tried different tires, different suspension parts, different wheels, etc continued to experience feathering. 350evo front control arms are rumored to fix it though. but nobody has reported from experience yet.
I've read that about the control arms, but you're right, no confirmation.

Can anyone with aftermarket wheels confirm if you've had to replace feathered tires? I'm in the market for new wheels, but don't want to buy if I have to replace tires on my own dime. Until there's a permanent fix, is it worth getting new boots for my Z?

Quick Reply: Feathering poll