I have an '04 and have RECURRING feathering
10.62%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Feathering poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:02 AM
mattvols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on my third set of tires with 22,400 miles on my 2003. I am ready to go legal. This will get expensive when my warranty runs out.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:28 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First set lasted 8.5K miles.

Second set lasted 13K miles, feathered.

Going on to the third set of front tires...
Old 10-05-2004, 02:19 PM
MikeStevens

Do I get to vote again?

2004 Touring. Alignment and swap done about 5,000 miles. Alignment and new tires at about 10,000. I've got about 15,000 now and I think the roar is returning.

Still love the car and would pay out of pocket if a fix was identified.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Reese

I have a 2004 with 11000 miles taking in tomorrow to have it checked. Tires started roaring about 4000 miles ago and has only became worse with time, but the wear appears to be on outside edge and tiny pieces of rubber are gone on leading edge of tread. I will post my results after trip to dealership.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:34 AM
mattvols

I am so sickof my car, I wrote Nissan a letter asking them to trade me into an 04 that does not have this tire problem. They denied my request. Therefore, I plan to go legal and tell everyone what I lemon I own. I also found a website where we Nissan owners need to start a class action lawsuit. It is www.autosafety.org/filecomplaint.php

Nissan makes me sick. I just got my third set of tires 2 weeks ago. They promised to stand behind my warranty all the way till next month. Woopie! If any lawyers out there want to start a class action lawsuit, please contact me. Mattvols86878284@aol.com.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:22 AM
mattvols

Also, I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I encourage everyone else to do the same with this tire problem. www.bbb.com. Nissan might listen if we complain in numbers.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:22 AM
mattvols

I just called Firestone and spoke to a rep. They said that the tires should last between 15-40 K miles under normal driving conditions. Jill at Nissan used the argument to me that they should last 7-9 K miles. This is an idiodic statement by her and I have proved her wrong. I will go back to Nissan for battle #2.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:29 AM
350zRoadster04

Best idea I've heard so far... I'm filing my complaint today.

Originally posted by mattvols
Also, I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I encourage everyone else to do the same with this tire problem. www.bbb.com. Nissan might listen if we complain in numbers.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:09 AM
mattvols

I forgot to mention, I wrote JD Power's yesterday about this mess too. I received a response from them saying that they were not aware of this situation and thanked me for writing. Guys, let them here you www.jdpower.com. 5 minutes of your time to write may lead to bigger things in the long run.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:10 AM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just called Firestone and spoke to a rep. They said that the tires should last between 15-40 K miles under normal driving conditions. Jill at Nissan used the argument to me that they should last 7-9 K miles. This is an idiodic statement by her and I have proved her wrong. I will go back to Nissan for battle #2.
Nissan appears to be going back to one of their original positions: that all these problems are the tires' fault, not theirs. I had my second BBB hearing last week, and the rep took the following positions:

1. There is nothing wrong at all, the 'feathering' and noise is normal. Accelerated tire wear (to the tune of getting only 5k miles per set) is normal, and the owner should not expect anything more out a "sports car".

2. The problem is all Bridgestones fault, and those who continue to have problems should take it up with Bridgestone.

3. The 'new' RE040 is the result of Bridgestone "improving" the tire, not Nissan pushing a change through to help them avoid responsibility for the problem.

4. I "race" the car, so all these problems are my fault.

All of these statements are flat out lies on the part of Nissan's rep. I hope all their reps that are involved in these cases aren't as dishonest, rude, and obnoxious as the guy I have to deal with. As you can see, the variety of positions this guy took were also contradictory, which makes it obvious to me that he was just spitting out whatever lines he could to try and win the arbitrator's decision.

I think I successfully made my point to the arbitrator that the problems my car has, as well as other cars, cannot be fixed by simply adjusting the toe on the front end. I presented documentation indicating that incorrect caster and excessive cross caster can cause excessive shoulder wear, feathering of the tread blocks, and heel-toe tread wear. Of course, the Nissan rep claimed that was all wrong, and that caster absolutely cannot cause any tire wear problems.

Anyway, I'm still waiting on the decision...

Last edited by GaryK; 10-08-2004 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:18 AM
350zRoadster04

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Originally posted by GaryK
Nissan appears to be going back to one of their original positions: that all these problems are the tires' fault, not theirs. I had my second BBB hearing last week, and the rep took the following positions:

1. There is nothing wrong at all, the 'feathering' and noise is normal. Accelerated tire wear (to the tune of getting only 5k miles per set) is normal, and the owner should not expect anything more out a "sports car".

2. The problem is all Bridgestones fault, and those who continue to have problems should take it up with Bridgestone.

3. The 'new' RE040 is the result of Bridgestone "improving" the tire, not Nissan pushing a change through to help them avoid responsibility for the problem.

4. I "race" the car, so all these problems are my fault.

All of these statements are flat out lies on the part of Nissan's rep. I hope all their reps that are involved in these cases aren't as dishonest, rude, and obnoxious as the guy I have to deal with. As you can see, the variety of positions this guy took were also contradictory, which makes it obvious to me that he was just spitting out whatever lines he could to try and win the arbitrator's decision.

I think I successfully made my point to the arbitrator that the problems my car has, as well as other cars, cannot be fixed by simply adjusting the toe on the front end. I presented documentation indicating that incorrect caster and excessive cross caster can cause excessive shoulder wear, feathering of the tread blocks, and heel-toe tread wear. Of course, the Nissan rep claimed that was all wrong, and that caster absolutely cannot cause any tire wear problems.

Anyway, I'm still waiting on the decision...
Old 10-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Reese

Originally posted by Reese
I have a 2004 with 11000 miles taking in tomorrow to have it checked. Tires started roaring about 4000 miles ago and has only became worse with time, but the wear appears to be on outside edge and tiny pieces of rubber are gone on leading edge of tread. I will post my results after trip to dealership.
Well, service manager at dealership was really nice. He said since I had under 12000 miles on car they were going to replace them. BUT, tires were not in stock and they would probably be in tuesday (tomorrow) so i call up there today to verify. Well, tires are on back order and they don't know when to expect them in. Said they have been waiting for 3-4 weeks for them to come in already. The good news is he opened up a RO for me with current mileage so when tires come they will still replace no matter what the mileage. He said they would also realign at that point. What worries me is that this will just be a temporary fix and the next time they won't replace them due to higher mileage.

Oh yeah word of advice for anyone else going to dealership to complain, I think your better off being calm about the whole situation and don't raise your voice at them. I got the feeling they will work with you if you just remain calm about the whole situation. They didn't even look at my tires, cause I asked him if they were feathering and he said" it doesn't matter, you say their roaring so we will replace them" he then said as stated in a previous post that for 03's they are replacing them up to 24000 miles and on 04's up to 12000 miles.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:35 PM
350zRoadster04

On 04's they are replacing them up to 12,000 miles? Is this official from Nissan? If so, how can I find it in writing? My dealership has repeatedly told me that Nissan isn't doing anything for '04s.

Well, service manager at dealership was really nice. He said since I had under 12000 miles on car they were going to replace them. BUT, tires were not in stock and they would probably be in tuesday (tomorrow) so i call up there today to verify. Well, tires are on back order and they don't know when to expect them in. Said they have been waiting for 3-4 weeks for them to come in already. The good news is he opened up a RO for me with current mileage so when tires come they will still replace no matter what the mileage. He said they would also realign at that point. What worries me is that this will just be a temporary fix and the next time they won't replace them due to higher mileage.

Oh yeah word of advice for anyone else going to dealership to complain, I think your better off being calm about the whole situation and don't raise your voice at them. I got the feeling they will work with you if you just remain calm about the whole situation. They didn't even look at my tires, cause I asked him if they were feathering and he said" it doesn't matter, you say their roaring so we will replace them" he then said as stated in a previous post that for 03's they are replacing them up to 24000 miles and on 04's up to 12000 miles.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Reese

I haven't seen anything in writing, service writer just told me that. Maybe it also depends on the manufacture date. Mine is 07/03.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:06 AM
inanabhay

I think you should add another variable to your poll:

have 04 with feathering - too soon to see if problem resolved
Old 10-13-2004, 09:07 AM
350zRoadster04

Mine is 06/03

I haven't seen anything in writing, service writer just told me that. Maybe it also depends on the manufacture date. Mine is 07/03.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:32 AM
mattvols

Reese, in my opinion you are getting a band aid not a fix. Nissan obivously does not know the fix. As you can see from my post, I am on my third set of tires in 22,400 miles.

Update to my situation, I just called Nissan C/S again because I have requested 2 times to have their stance that "it is normal to replace tires every 7000-9000 miles" in writing, and they will not accomodate my request. However, I did speak to a differnet rep this time. He told me that Nissan will warrant my recent set of tires for 20,000 more miles (meaing to 42, 400) if I have the same failure, but I will have to pay for the alignment. He also suggested that this is a tire manufacturer problem, not a Nissan problem. Regardless, after my next failure, I am getting a lemon law attorney because I am tired of wasting my time.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:50 AM
350zRoadster04

Did you get the same brand of tires everytime?

Reese, in my opinion you are getting a band aid not a fix. Nissan obivously does not know the fix. As you can see from my post, I am on my third set of tires in 22,400 miles.

Update to my situation, I just called Nissan C/S again because I have requested 2 times to have their stance that "it is normal to replace tires every 7000-9000 miles" in writing, and they will not accomodate my request. However, I did speak to a differnet rep this time. He told me that Nissan will warrant my recent set of tires for 20,000 more miles (meaing to 42, 400) if I have the same failure, but I will have to pay for the alignment. He also suggested that this is a tire manufacturer problem, not a Nissan problem. Regardless, after my next failure, I am getting a lemon law attorney because I am tired of wasting my time.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Reese

How can they not know the fix if the late 04's and 05's don't have the problem. Oh well, it could be a bridgestone problem like they say but for some reason I don't think so. What sucks is this definitely is not improving the resale value of our cars.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:38 PM
zlex

I have an 03 Z. I'm changing rims and tires soon but I have experienced some sounds and feathering from my stock Z around 7k. With aftermarket rims and tires, will my warranty be void? If there is more feathering, can I go to my dealership with this problem?

Quick Reply: Feathering poll