Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

My Encounters With The E46 M3....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 11:27 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb My Encounters With The E46 M3....

*NOTE* "My Encounters" not what I read or hear!
Originally posted by Nyoneway
1. BMW overrate their engines. *Edit* I mean underrate.
2. Torque Curve.
3. BMW uses aggressive gearing.
4. The M3's trap speed for the quartermile is around 107mph. Around 5-6 mph faster than a 350z. Meaning at the end of the quartermile, the M3 is going 5mph faster and gaining. It will take a lot more than just a couple of bolt-ons to gain 5mph on a 350z. In the world of drag racing, 5mph is almost another class.

Of course in the real world many variables come into place, such as driver, etc and anything is possible. I assume that most people who drive M3's are not as aggressive as people who drives 350z.
As qouted from ROAD & TRACK'S *David vs. The Goliaths Issue*

"Even at the high speeds we encountered driving on the 2.5-mile "Big Track" at Willow Springs International Raceway, getting the 350Z to rotate its tail takes a concerted effort. Its natural tendency is toward a slight turn-in/mid-turn push that gives way to a balanced corner exit drift. The result is a car whose considerable limits are fun to explore without venturing too far into the unknown. Senior Editor Andy Bornhop said it best following his first hot laps in the Nissan, "The 350Z inspires confidence because it doesn't feel like it will ever bite you." This confidence is most evident in the lap times, where the 350Z turned a fast lap just marginally faster than both the M3 and 911. Being able to push the Z comfortably right up to the limit contributed substantially to its surprising pace around the track.

It is truly 'W H A C K' that sooo many of you rely on numbers on paper to support "real time/world" driving and racing.

The Z has less hp than the E46 M3 yet more torque, that is a fact! The M3 beat's out the Z's times ON PAPER from anywhere a couple of tenths to a full second (according to some) again ON PAPER. I attest to you that I have run 3 of them. Results as follows:
1st: Black 'modded' (exhaust was VERY apparent so was sound) on the Tollway with my wife in the car! From @ 80, he pulled a couple of cars ahead. Now mind you I'm losing, but in NO way being dusted (in my previous supercharged modular Cobra, I have pulled away so hard on cars that they appeared to be going in REVERSE! That's DUSTED!)
2nd & 3rd E46 M3 encounters: A white one and a silver one (different occassions) Both from a dead standstill. The White one, I pulled on him @ a car & half up to @ 90. The silver one, stoplight pulled on him ONLY a half a car or so, as I never saw him in my rearview or my pass* window up to @ 75mph. These runs were good enough for me to realize either 1: I encountered 2 bad drivers (NOT ) or 2: My/the Z is quicker than what is being speculated.
Believe it or don't believe it! These are my experiences against them. For the record the ONLY performance mods I have are K&N and Grounding kit. Now I will say that the wider & stickier Toyos definitely reduce excessive wheelspin like before, only letting out chirps. Whereas previously, the way I raise rpm's & shift, the stock tires would break all a loose. And most of you know that ANY wheelspin translates to lost time!
So all I can say people is based on my PERSONAL experience, the M3 has not proved to me that it's quicker than my Z. That's not to say every encounter I might have will result the same. BUT! You have to show me, with me behind the wheel lined up with an M3, we run, and he beats me, to prove me wrong.
And oh yes. That is a welcome invitation for ANY stock M3 owner in the area to show me differently.....

TX
Attached Thumbnails My Encounters With The E46 M3....-david-vs-the-goliaths.jpg  
Old 04-29-2003, 11:44 AM
max2000jp

Default Re: My Encounters With The E46 M3....

Originally posted by TXSTYLE

"Even at the high speeds we encountered driving on the 2.5-mile "Big Track" at Willow Springs International Raceway, getting the 350Z to rotate its tail takes a concerted effort. Its natural tendency is toward a slight turn-in/mid-turn push that gives way to a balanced corner exit drift. The result is a car whose considerable limits are fun to explore without venturing too far into the unknown. Senior Editor Andy Bornhop said it best following his first hot laps in the Nissan, "The 350Z inspires confidence because it doesn't feel like it will ever bite you." This confidence is most evident in the lap times, where the 350Z turned a fast lap just marginally faster than both the M3 and 911. Being able to push the Z comfortably right up to the limit contributed substantially to its surprising pace around the track.

It is truly 'W H A C K' that sooo many of you rely on numbers on paper to support "real time/world" driving and racing.

The Z has less hp than the E46 M3 yet more torque, that is a fact! The M3 beat's out the Z's times ON PAPER from anywhere a couple of tenths to a full second (according to some) again ON PAPER. I attest to you that I have run 3 of them. Results as follows:
1st: Black 'modded' (exhaust was VERY apparent so was sound) on the Tollway with my wife in the car! From @ 80, he pulled a couple of cars ahead. Now mind you I'm losing, but in NO way being dusted (in my previous supercharged modular Cobra, I have pulled away so hard on cars that they appeared to be going in REVERSE! That's DUSTED!)
2nd & 3rd E46 M3 encounters: A white one and a silver one (different occassions) Both from a dead standstill. The White one, I pulled on him @ a car & half up to @ 90. The silver one, stoplight pulled on him ONLY a half a car or so, as I never saw him in my rearview or my pass* window up to @ 75mph. These runs were good enough for me to realize either 1: I encountered 2 bad drivers (NOT ) or 2: My/the Z is quicker than what is being speculated.
Believe it or don't believe it! These are my experiences against them. For the record the ONLY performance mods I have are K&N and Grounding kit. Now I will say that the wider & stickier Toyos definitely reduce excessive wheelspin like before, only letting out chirps. Whereas previously, the way I raise rpm's & shift, the stock tires would break all a loose. And most of you know that ANY wheelspin translates to lost time!
So all I can say people is based on my PERSONAL experience, the M3 has not proved to me that it's quicker than my Z. That's not to say every encounter I might have will result the same. BUT! You have to show me, with me behind the wheel lined up with an M3, we run, and he beats me, to prove me wrong.
And oh yes. That is a welcome invitation for ANY stock M3 owner in the area to show me differently.....

TX
Were you running 19s when you raced these chumps? Most Zs are running high 13s to low 14s at the track, which is hardly M3 territory. My friend ran a 13.3@106 in his M3 his first time ever at a drag strip in summer weather. You ran a couple of guys who couldnt extract the maximum performance of the vehicle. The M3 is a faster vehicle, end of story. If you think your car is faster, go to the track and run some hard numbers and we can compare them. You better have a trick up your sleeve because you will need to run low 13s to be close.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:30 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Default Re: Re: My Encounters With The E46 M3....

Originally posted by max2000jp
Were you running 19s when you raced these chumps? Most Zs are running high 13s to low 14s at the track, which is hardly M3 territory. My friend ran a 13.3@106 in his M3 his first time ever at a drag strip in summer weather. You ran a couple of guys who couldnt extract the maximum performance of the vehicle. The M3 is a faster vehicle, end of story. If you think your car is faster, go to the track and run some hard numbers and we can compare them. You better have a trick up your sleeve because you will need to run low 13s to be close.
Here we go.......
I don't think crap! And I'm not out to hunt down every M3 in my area or on the track! I made myself QUITE clear above on my experiences, AND I'm not even about to debate, argue, contemplate, or anything else as far as the above instances went. I extended my offer.
As far as me taking the time to go all the way out to a track just to post some damn numbers......
Old 04-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Montez

Default Re: My Encounters With The E46 M3....

TX
I dont agree about the couple car lengths not being "dusted" a few car lengths equates to a few tenths of a second up to 1 second, which is a good win in todays standards.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:36 PM
max2000jp

Default Re: Re: Re: My Encounters With The E46 M3....

Here we go
I don't think crap! And I'm not out to hunt down every M3 in my area or on the track! I made myself QUITE clear above on my experiences, AND I'm not even about to debate, argue, contemplate, or anything else as far as the above instances went. I extended my offer.
As far as me taking the time to go all the way out to a track just to post some damn numbers......
[/IMG]
You posted your personal experience and so did I. I have a friend who ran 13.3 in a stock M3, which is quite a bit faster than ANY N/A Z. The E46 M3 is faster vehicle.....End of story.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:15 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: My Encounters With The E46 M3....

Here we go.......
funny how you could put a HUGE and clear disclaimer in there and you still get the same results from people, I don't get it.

So what you saying is that the Z is faster than the M???
Old 04-30-2003, 09:16 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: My Encounters With The E46 M3....

Originally posted by rodH
funny how you could put a HUGE and clear disclaimer in there and you still get the same results from people, I don't get it.

So what you saying is that the Z is faster than the M???
LOL! No RodH. Just that "my experiences" have favored the Z in "REAL WORLD" instances. Again, I could go out today, tomorrow, or from here on out and get beat by an M3. So far, I've prevailed.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Nealoc187

So let me get this straight: You beat a couple ******* drivers in M3s from this limited experience you are assuming that the Z is just as fast a car as the M3 is?

Worst case scenario for the M3, it traps at 105, best case scenario for the Z, it traps 102, 3mph through the traps is a very very large difference. 3mph is 4.4 feet per second. You race for 5 seconds and the M3 and the M3 already has 1 car length on you, you race for 10 seconds it has 2 cars on you, etc. This is assuming the driver of the Z is God and the driver of the M3 the kid that has to wear the football helmet and sit in the front seat on the Short Bus. You put average drivers in each car and the Z traps 99 and the M3 traps 106, and it's getting worse and worse for the Z.

If you ever get to the track (and I'm assuming you won't since you're content to quote magazine road course impressions and use 2 races against drivers of obviously lesser than average skill level as your compendium of "knowledge") you're going to be in for a rude awakening.

EDIT: Now you've posted since I typed my post.

Still you're assuming that these 2 M3 drivers that you beat were up to the task. IMHO it's safe to assume they aren't since you beat them in a car that in my mind is in every sense of the word, slower. I think before you go assuming that the Z is a faster car in 'real world' races you have to take into account that you are most likely a good driver, and the drivers of the faster M3 were most likely not up to your skill level.

Last edited by Nealoc187; 04-30-2003 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:59 AM
AngelGT2000

I like it how people tend to call out other make/model of car drivers, on their own forums. Why not go to a BMW forum and call them out. Here i'll help ya out. I'll go ahead and link this thread over at Bimmer Forums and see if there are any takers. Don't know if any will register just to answer, though.

off topic: Man i wish your avatar was a bit longer on the footage. I never saw that fight break out. Man got hit clean on the face What was the outcome?
Old 04-30-2003, 11:08 AM
ELESWON

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Encounters With The E46 M3....

LOL! No RodH. Just that "my experiences" have favored the Z in "REAL WORLD" instances. Again, I could go out today, tomorrow, or from here on out and get beat by an M3. So far, I've prevailed.
Its only a matter of time till you come across someone who knows how to pilot their vehicle and you will loose. I dont own either car in question, but i have raced and driven both on more than one occasion. I can tell you now that any race between those two cars (mods non-withstanding) that comes in favor of the Z is a fluke, plain and simple. Can you come across 2 BMW drivers in a row who dont know how to drive their cars to their potential? I did it 3 times before i actually came across an E46 driver who knew his dick from the e-brake. But hey, you go on quoting rag times and downtalking actual track experiance, your day will come.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Ferris

I was staying away from this thread because quite honestly it's the second most asinine post ever (first are the celicas kids swearing the Grand national is slower because their car is more aerodynamic). Regardless, perhaps you ran two crappy drivers and I applaud your win, but you are not faster then an E46 M3 stock for stock. I have an M Roadster (same engine) and have a dyno chart that proves I put out 297 to the wheels (speed limiter cut in and under rated the pull), so unless you have an under rated fly wheel horsepower, and NO drive train lose and perhaps Miss Chleo used psychic energy to spin the M3's bearings YOU are not going to be faster then a M3 , stock for stock given equal drivers.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:34 PM
Zaphod 350z

An E46 M3, M Roadster, M coupe... anything M with a driver that is at least 2 steps above comotose will spank a Z stock for stock like a red assed baboon wacking off to the banana channel. You have to have some serious power mods, not just CAI, grounding kit and hopes + dreams.
I have an 80hp NOS kit + CAI and 86'd center resonator. I run very close with my buddy who has a slightly modded M roadster. Even around the corners, stock for stock it's damn close.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:45 PM
wileecoyte

Also note that you beat the M3 up to around 75, which is still about 30 mph away from a typical 1/4 mile run. So maybe you might be able to get the jump on a less experienced M3 driver, but what if you kept going to say... 110? He probably would've caught you. I did the same thing in my stock Eclipse GSX to a Z, jumped him off the line with AWD and was ahead to around 80-ish. I backed off and he came flashing past. Did I beat him? Yes I did to 80, but had we kept on it, it was only a matter of time till the Z hunted me down. Plus the M3 makes it's power on the top end, so once it gets singing up around 6k rpms in 3rd and 4th you'd be in trouble. Yes you have beaten some M3's but only to ~80, but like me it would only be a matter of time before physics took over and you were reeled back in. Also b/c I beat a Z I don't claim that I can whip Z's, had the guy been a decent driver he probably would've caught me before that and by the end of a 1/4 would've left me.

Last edited by wileecoyte; 04-30-2003 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Ferris

What part of texas are you in?
Old 04-30-2003, 02:06 PM
ELESWON

Originally posted by Zaphod 350z
An E46 M3, M Roadster, M coupe... anything M with a driver that is at least 2 steps above comotose will spank a Z stock for stock like a red assed baboon wacking off to the banana channel. You have to have some serious power mods, not just CAI, grounding kit and hopes + dreams.
I have an 80hp NOS kit + CAI and 86'd center resonator. I run very close with my buddy who has a slightly modded M roadster. Even around the corners, stock for stock it's damn close.
This is about the most beliveable and sanest race ive read on this board. I keep tellin you 350 guys, you wanna run with the big dogs (S54 spec M cars, LS1, Supra {stock}, anything that runs deep 13s and traps 105+) your gonna need some help. And i dont mean a CAI and exhaust. Follow Zap's lead. God invented Nitrous for a reason, so use it!!
Old 04-30-2003, 04:18 PM
nyisles

Thumbs down

TXSTYLE, it's time to drink your Kool-aid.

The grape kind.

ps you are clearly not a "GURU."
Old 04-30-2003, 06:01 PM
mpol99

I think you know your cars enough to realize that the E46 M3 is quite a bit quicker car & the people you raced were jackasses who couldn't drive.

Not to put you down, great kills! Glad you embarrased their asses, haha.

Just as long as you realize that you beat 2 quicker cars with ******** drivers.......

My $0.02

peace
Old 04-30-2003, 06:26 PM
zogan

Originally posted by mpol99
I think you know your cars enough to realize that the E46 M3 is quite a bit quicker car & the people you raced were jackasses who couldn't drive.

Not to put you down, great kills! Glad you embarrased their asses, haha.

Just as long as you realize that you beat 2 quicker cars with ******** drivers.......

My $0.02

peace
Good kills, I think you make a good point. Anything can happen on the street.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:30 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

In the spirit of being a MOD and keeping the peace........ My ONLY words to the above nay-sayers are these: "Seeing is believing." Since none of you uhhm folks were there and present, QUITE SIMPLY YOU DON'T KNOW JACK! Paper numbers don't mean S-Q-U-A-T, especially with the minor differences when weight, hp, and torque are equated between these two cars. I'm not gonna even make up excuses for the drivers who LOST. Why should you? Ohh, that's right, because the thought of a $20k less car putting the smack down is too much to handle. Guess what......
Too Bad. Get over it. And again, I reiterate, "MY EXPERIENCES!" Unless you have access to the car in question, and can come and prove me DIFFERENT...Then, well you know.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:03 AM
KeyserSoze

In the spirit of being a MOD and keeping the peace........ My ONLY words to the above nay-sayers are these: "Seeing is believing." Since none of you uhhm folks were there and present, QUITE SIMPLY YOU DON'T KNOW JACK! Paper numbers don't mean S-Q-U-A-T, especially with the minor differences when weight, hp, and torque are equated between these two cars. I'm not gonna even make up excuses for the drivers who LOST. Why should you? Ohh, that's right, because the thought of a $20k less car putting the smack down is too much to handle. Guess what......
Too Bad. Get over it. And again, I reiterate, "MY EXPERIENCES!" Unless you have access to the car in question, and can come and prove me DIFFERENT...Then, well you know.
TXSTYLE,

Seems as if you're taking argumentative advice from the Iraqi Information Minister.

If you're in Houston, I'll be your Huckleberry. Westheimer by Racing Solutions Inc, in front of a whole slew of car enthusiasts. Your 350Z vs my ///M Coupe. Besides one full day of performance school last Saturday, my only other experiences have been illegal road racing.

Whatcha say, I'm throwing down the gauntlet.

Lemme know and I can set this all up.

Quick Reply: My Encounters With The E46 M3....