Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

375 whp NA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Ivory

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In typical japanese marketing, they don't really dish out the real digits unless they have got the goods. I remember an old japanese article rounding up all the 300+ hp Zs from various tuners, too bad the article went down, it had a list of mods for each.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^ It's not down... Kwame always keeps the goods on hand....

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/featur...2/z33_v35.html
Old 03-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Ivory

Ha! nice...swore when i last checked it was long gone.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Ivory

Interesting read how they have used Nismo parts one way or another, especially the spec 2 heads which I looked into previously...the price point just makes it unreasonable.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:21 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT-2 350Z
I believe that you really need to get a standalone ECU to get the most hosepower out of the VQ. The first motor I put in my car was a wrecking yard VQ30 with just headers and Motec and it put out 220 RWHP from a 190 hp motor. Then I added Nismo heads and cams and it would make over 260 rwhp.

This was with a stock bottom end. Most of the time you are limited by emissions so a Motec etc. can not be run, but I know a Motec really wakes up the VQ.
Not sure why you would say that about a normally aspirated VQ engine.

I could understand it when discussing a FI VQ with boost. MAP mode would possibly be more desirable than using a MAF sensor. Control of Nitrous and Meth would also be easier with a standalone.

What can a standalone control on a NA VQ that software like Osiris Tuner can not control?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM
GT-2 350Z

I am not familiar with the other units for tuning the VQ. When I set up the car there was not much available to run the motor except to have JWT flash a stock ecu to a certain setup and if I changed something I would have to wait to get it flashed again. With the Motec we could instantly bump the timing,and fuel and see the results on the dyno. I don't know what your setups are capable of for tuning but I know the Motec can produce results on a stock motor with only headers. If I remember correctly we had the VQ30 at almost 40 deg advanced and this motor ran fine on pump gas. It just seems that people are adding cams and exhaust and so on and they still do not seem to get the power out of the motor and I think it is limited by what the ecu can do.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:54 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I am not familiar with the other units for tuning the VQ. When I set up the car there was not much available to run the motor except to have JWT flash a stock ecu to a certain setup and if I changed something I would have to wait to get it flashed again. With the Motec we could instantly bump the timing,and fuel and see the results on the dyno. I don't know what your setups are capable of for tuning but I know the Motec can produce results on a stock motor with only headers. If I remember correctly we had the VQ30 at almost 40 deg advanced and this motor ran fine on pump gas. It just seems that people are adding cams and exhaust and so on and they still do not seem to get the power out of the motor and I think it is limited by what the ecu can do.
I agree that Motec is the creme of the crop as far as EMS for the VQ engine. I believe (but am not sure) that it actually interfaces with Nissan's drive-by-wire interface so it can control some of the RevUp options that none of the other popular EMS systems can control.

Modern versions of UpRev's Osiris Tuner software are also capable of tuning the timing and fuel in real time as you mentioned above. Additionally, because you are changing the actual ECU settings, the complications with the RevUp engine's limitations do not affect this type of tuning.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarmac Attack
Oh ok. Last time I heard anything about it the car was making 350PS, which in HP is about 345. Although I'm not 100% sure and it more than likely was rated at the flywheel.
The only reason this thread caught my attention was because I have someone about to go through a VQ35DE rebuild and was keen on keeping it naturally aspirated, but mentioned wanting to make about 350 whp. I have never had a chance to get my hands dirty on a VQ35 yet, and at first I had thought it wouldn't be impossible.
I understand that naturally aspirated tuning doesn't yield as much power as forced induction, but with a large displacement V6 why is it so difficult to break 300?
For reference I have the main components of the build planned out as follows:
Wiseco 11:1 Pistons
CP Rings
ACL Bearings
Eagle H-Beam Rods
BC 272s IN/EX
BC +1 Valves
BC Springs and Titanium Retainers
Heads are being ported and polished, valves angled
I also thought of using Cosworth MHGs

I don't know what's going to be used as far as intake manifold, exhaust system, exhaust manifold, fuel system, etc.
What's the weak link that keeps this motor from making N/A power?
-Justin
my lack of (enough) funds.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
OCG35
Banned

most ppl I know (including me) that have cams have had the ECU flashed via dyno tune with Osiris or TechnoSquare.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
GT-2 350Z

Originally Posted by OCG35
most ppl I know (including me) that have cams have had the ECU flashed via dyno tune with Osiris or TechnoSquare.
So I take it then that the newer tuners can now do it at the dyno as they run and adjust accordingly. It would be interesting to see the fuel, timing maps to compare with the Motec setup. I would imagine there is a safety factor in your tune where we push the limits.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

So I take it then that the newer tuners can now do it at the dyno as they run and adjust accordingly.
Yes, exactly. UpRev's Osiris is actually the only ECU tuning software (that I know of) with this capability. Most other ECU tuning companies offer pre-programmed maps or require you to mail the ECU to them for flashing.

It would be interesting to see the fuel, timing maps to compare with the Motec setup. I would imagine there is a safety factor in your tune where we push the limits.
Quite likely, but it is the owner/tuners choice... Not a limitation of the software.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:45 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by __jb
Yes, exactly. UpRev's Osiris is actually the only ECU tuning software (that I know of) with this capability. Most other ECU tuning companies offer pre-programmed maps or require you to mail the ECU to them for flashing.

Quite likely, but it is the owner/tuners choice... Not a limitation of the software.

AAM flashes ecu's and it doesn't have to be mail in
Old 03-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
true, if you go to them

same with technosquare - if you go to them, you don't need to mail in your ecu
Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
true, if you go to them

same with technosquare - if you go to them, you don't need to mail in your ecu
So, maybe I should have said:

"require you to mail or drive the ECU to them for flashing."

Hahaha... No bashing intended... Just trying to show that there are new options for tuning stock ECUs in real time without a piggyback/standalone.