Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 AM
*Boose*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. Sounds like this build started years ago. We still have a lot of potential for tuning our revups. Can't wait for you to make that high rpm power. It will get me off my fat ***. I love u btw noooo homo. Also I think you're going to make more like 20+ whp from 6500 and on. That's my guess. What size piping after the cats do you have? Single exhaust or true dual? Single outlet or dual?

Last edited by *Boose*; 01-21-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck! Hopefully those headers correct some or most of the problems your seeing in the upper powerband. My guess is, they will yield about +10 whp on top and the rest is a little gremlin somewhere that needs to be found. Here's to hoping I'm wrong though.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by *Boose*
Here's my question for you. Why did you build the block? Unless you were planning to rev to the moon which your car doesn't. I don't mean to come off as a dick but I see a lot of useless money spent in some of these builds. I understand that not many people actually take the time like you have, to pave the way for us. But do most people who own these parts just buy them or actually do research before they buy? I know every part I have bought or plan to buy was researched not only for my current setup but for the future as well.

Why mismatch parts? Lastly if you ponied up for the Cosworth manifold, why not buy the Jenvi ITB's? I think they were like 3k or so but when you're paying half for something you're not sure about gains on, its spending you're money blindly.

I forget who but someone had a ITB revup build on a G35 coupe and it made over 30 whp with the itb's. It's on the boards here somewhere.

The way I see it, if you're going to go all out on a N/A build. Go all out. When I get back from my deployment this year, my plan is to go all out. To include ITB's, dry sump lubrication, Nismo heads, Tomei cams, and a Nismo exhaust, with Haltech tuning and supporting mods.

Good luck to you and your build as I will definitely be feeding off information for my own. Thanks for your research as it is greatly appreciated.
Out of curiosity what are you expecting to spend on your motor build?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^I spend A LOT over the course of swapping parts out, etc. I see close to 14k in those parts alone. That build should be the ultimate NA motor.

Before I do something rash and switch to ITBs, I want to max out my setup now before sell it and swap it out. You have to put the money in, but once you're in, you're not losing everything since the parts will still hold value. Like I said, it is an ongoing project. I'm still using MAF to tune, which is the norm for most NA setups. I'd like to think I'm in a position to continue building and experimenting for years to come, so the experience and money spent now does have merit.

Last edited by kacz07; 01-21-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 AM
kacz07

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Good luck! Hopefully those headers correct some or most of the problems your seeing in the upper powerband. My guess is, they will yield about +10 whp on top and the rest is a little gremlin somewhere that needs to be found. Here's to hoping I'm wrong though.
Inherently, I'm being conservative with 10whp UNTUNED, despite good success on Gabe's stroker and SG's car. I'm conservative also because I do not know how the porting and stepping in the intake/exhaust runners will affect flow.

With my current Mrev2/ 5/16th" spacer manifold setup, I expect my highest number is still going to be at 6300rpm, but with much better power to redline. A larger spacer than the 5/16th" will likely sustain greater high RPM power.

I'm likely going to switch out the lower collector for the Rev-up or do the Cosworth, at which point the car will be tuned. That is where I think we'll see a higher peak gain, 15-20+whp, shifted further to the right (peak at 6700rpm) and continuing on to 8k or further.

Last edited by kacz07; 01-21-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 AM
kacz07

The "gray area" we're in now, is a result of a few things:

1) On stock internals, no one saw the real need to try larger spacers after MotorDyne's dyno shootout concluded that the 5/16th" (combined w/ Mrev2 for Rev-ups) made just as much power as the 1/2". That, I believe, was an untuned test.

On a Rev-up, I would venture a guess that the 1/2" spacer, combined with Mrev2, AND TUNE, will make more peak and residual power to redline than the 5/16th, especially with the tune's exhaust cam phasing.

I also think switching out the Mrev2 with the Rev-up lower collector will make the most power up top and to redline, but at more of a cost for low and mid-range output.

2) Almost no one with bolt-ons had delved into cams. For such a small market, MotorDyne, nor anyone else, performed testing on a highly modified NA motor. For anyone even questioning my motives, I am NOT placing blame. There was just no market or profit. I feel like I need to express that or risk some sort of misunderstanding.

3) Aftermarket EMSs were available before we maxed out the airflow capacity of the MAF, so people were polarized into two groups: those who spent small money (not really, just significantly less than FI) for intake/exhaust and those who went big and went FI.

SG is working hard on filling in this gap, so I'm sure this will be better understood during the R & D of their "Bolt-on 300+whp" package.

Last edited by kacz07; 01-21-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 AM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Out of curiosity what are you expecting to spend on your motor build?
An endless amount as I've come to terms I will never have enough ***** to sell it. I've actually calculated somewhat over $20k to build and tune. Probably going to run into issues along the way so probably a $30k cushion. So probably by 2013-2014 it will be completely finished. It's a short term goal. Gotta start saving if I want to do it right. However, more expensive unnecessary add ons like the dry sump is more of a dream than possibility. Maybe if more people dwell into that area then it may become a reality.

Last edited by *Boose*; 01-21-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys throw around dollar amounts and I laugh my *** off.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

30k for NA? WTF
Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 AM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kacz07
The "gray area" we're in now, is a result of a few things:

1) On stock internals, no one saw the real need to try larger spacers after MotorDyne's dyno shootout concluded that the 5/16th" (combined w/ Mrev2 for Rev-ups) made just as much power as the 1/2". That, I believe, was an untuned test.

On a Rev-up, I would venture a guess that the 1/2" spacer, combined with Mrev2, AND TUNE, will make more peak and residual power to redline than the 5/16th, especially with the tune's exhaust cam phasing.

I also think switching out the Mrev2 with the Rev-up lower collector will make the most power up top and to redline, but at more of a cost for low and mid-range output.

2) Almost no one with bolt-ons had delved into cams. For such a small market, MotorDyne, nor anyone else, performed testing on a highly modified NA motor. For anyone even questioning my motives, I am NOT placing blame. There was just no market or profit. I feel like I need to express that or risk some sort of misunderstanding.

3) Aftermarket EMSs were available before we maxed out the airflow capacity of the MAF, so people were polarized into two groups: those who spent small money (not really, just significantly less than FI) for intake/exhaust and those who went big and went FI.

SG is working hard on filling in this gap, so I'm sure this will be better understood during the R & D of their "Bolt-on 300+whp" package.
Sorry man, I researched this extensively and ultimately what you are doing is trading total area under the curve for peak power, and it probably will not be any higher. I was a HUGE supporter of the Rev Up plenum, until insurmountable evidence proved that it just wasn't as efficient as the non rev. The Cosworth manifold is all around rubbish, and I wouldn't even consider it.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 PM
KA24DE

https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/4...d-build-6.html
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 PM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
30k for NA? WTF
To do it right. But I'm full of **** anyway. It probably won't happen. I wont even have an exhaust by the end of the year.

Last edited by *Boose*; 01-22-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 PM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by KA24DE
Sorry man, I researched this extensively and ultimately what you are doing is trading total area under the curve for peak power, and it probably will not be any higher. I was a HUGE supporter of the Rev Up plenum, until insurmountable evidence proved that it just wasn't as efficient as the non rev. The Cosworth manifold is all around rubbish, and I wouldn't even consider it.
Even with bolt ons you lose peak power going to the non revup. To say the revup is not efficient I believe is wrong. It just needs more airflow. I.e larger tb, more intake etc.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM
kacz07

For my setup, I think a ported Non-rev or Revup lower collector and a big spacer would give me the most peak and no drop off to redline, which I may be able to increase so long as it makes power. Power extended and slightly higher peak makes up for the area lost "under the curve" in the lower rpms. With larger cams, manifold volume becomes more important. Then, in my amateur opinion, intake increases will be a back and forth between velocity (more throttle body size and runner porting) and volume (spacer/porting for volume/collector choice). SG blew out the intake and opened it up as much as possible, but for those using MAF to monitor airflow, we have a few restrictions.

Last edited by kacz07; 01-23-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:30 AM
kacz07

Additionally, the Cosworth probably needs more tuning to optimize. It may lower torque, but allows for high RPM airflow characteristics to extend torque much deeper into the powerband (Gabe, Jmccarty, JB). This is similar to what the Rev-up collector and the HR/VHR manifold does.

The alternative is what I mentioned above, where you're trying to disagree with me, and that is porting the non-rev collector and add a big spacer/upper plenum. You'd keep the area under the curve and get past the 6300rpm surge/dip that 1cockyz, SG, and I have seen with the Mrev2/non-rev lower collector.

Last edited by kacz07; 01-23-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 PM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by kacz07
Additionally, the Cosworth probably needs more tuning to optimize. It may lower torque, but allows for high RPM airflow characteristics to extend torque much deeper into the powerband (Gabe, Jmccarty, JB). This is similar to what the Rev-up collector and the HR/VHR manifold does.

The alternative is what I mentioned above, where you're trying to disagree with me, and that is porting the non-rev collector and add a big spacer/upper plenum. You'd keep the area under the curve and get past the 6300rpm surge/dip that 1cockyz, SG, and I have seen with the Mrev2/non-rev lower collector.
There's only so much porting you can do. The mrev2 isn't that almost ported to the max? Regardless they don't sell just a non revup plenum. There is an extensive amount of work put into that manifold. I know there is. No matter what a stock non revup plenum will not outflow at max rpm a stock revup. It shows with bolt ons and it shows with built cars. What we need is a larger tb, larger vstack, and a larger plenum spacer. That will ensure power is made up to 7k rpms. Also he needs a better header setup. Until he adds the sg headers we will not know how much restriction the intake is causing.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:36 PM
KA24DE

Originally Posted by *Boose*
Even with bolt ons you lose peak power going to the non revup. To say the revup is not efficient I believe is wrong. It just needs more airflow. I.e larger tb, more intake etc.
Actually, no you don't, where are you getting this information from?

Nonrev vs revup plenum, same tune.

And stop mentioning the cosworth, it's a terrible manifold design that showed 0 worthwhile gains over a nonrev with spacer.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

And stop mentioning the cosworth, it's a terrible manifold design that showed 0 worthwhile gains over a nonrev with spacer.
Wow KA24DE, I didn't realize that blue line was a Rev-up Manifold. I really think there is something robbing your top-end. There aren't any other extra mods in the red and green lines?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
*Boose*

I never mentioned the cosworth.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM
*Boose*

And look at any dyno with bolt ons as these are the only ones that compare revup manifold to mrev2 and you will see a power loss from 6500 and on. For instance motordyne has a few on their site that shows.

Here:

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/...i-analysis.jpg

and here:

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/...page_large.jpg

Both show losses of power at top end. However, I do understand you gain a decent amount mid range, but that's not the arugument here at all. All you have to do is look at a dyno, that's where I get my information from. People who have already spent their money.

Last edited by *Boose*; 01-24-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP