Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

First Post as a Nissan 350z Owner! Time to Learn Stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 10:17 AM
jthan.ami

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile First Post as a Nissan 350z Owner! Time to Learn Stuff.

I flew from Virginia to Texas 2 days ago after a nationwide search, plus personally test driving 4 cars locally. I settled on this lovely LOW mileage 2006 roadster convertible with 48k miles on it. Hats off to the guys at AutoPark Dallas for an honest, and straightforward sale.

She is a 2006 6 speed with More like 50k miles after driving it 1400 miles back home I even got 25 mph hammering it home in weather, and no discernible oil consumption in that span, meaning the engine internals are likely to be great. It ran like a dream and pulls hard in every gear.

I guess my first question is where are the best places you all go to for service parts? No old car is perfect and I will have many questions and ask for people's expertise here. I am a very DIY mechanic with extensive experience restoring old 60's Mustangs and I do some work on my 2016 Audi too including OBD-II type diagnostics.

Right now I'm looking at serpentine belts and brake pads in the immediate future as these are things I can easily do. I will machine the rotors myself if they can be saved as the brakes look to be OEM original but are 90% used up on the pads. I will replace them all if out of spec or if they are as with German cars a one-time use item. I shall also flush the radiator fluid, brake fluid and clutch brake fluid as well since there is no telling when that last was done.

The only thing that didn't work as expected on trip is the cruise control, and as typical with these cars small leaks at the soft top corners and such. I drove in extremely heavy rain and experienced some minor leaking. I'll address that to gain knowledge in another thread AFTER I look at some old threads on the topic.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:57 PM
Dan Garcia

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

welcome to the forum, Z1 motor sports should have everything you need for maintenance parts plus much more.
The following users liked this post:
jthan.ami (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 04:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your latest purchase- she's a beauty! You might find it useful to scan through the DIY section of this site to pick up some helpful hints. As for the CC, did it simply fail to turn on? Or did it fail to set from the steering wheel controls?
Old 02-24-2022, 06:13 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Welcome and congrats! My 06 ZR is at 111K so yes, low miles. As mentioned above Z1motorsports.com will have everything you might need. Worth mentioning is Rockauto.com also, not near the depth of specialized parts but easier on the wallet with name-brand rotors and pads. Good luck with your new car!

Moved to better subforum.
The following users liked this post:
jthan.ami (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 06:14 PM
jthan.ami

Hi there, thanks! I'm very happy with the purchase and overall condition despite the leaky corners of the soft top stitching. This was the best one of the 4 I saw in person in terms of compromises.

The light will come on green "cruise" when you hit the on button, but when I hit the set button (down) for nothing happens at all. I tried it many times in different ways. I'm sure there are sensors in the clutch and the brake pedal. Hopefully I can uncover a way to diagnose and fix it myself on here and it's not a deeper "behind the wheel" wiring issue. I'll have to make a post on the most common items.

Looking for a downloadable or used shop manual too.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:11 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

Nice find and congrats on the new (to you) ZR. As previously mentioned, Z1 is a good resource for aftermarket and OEM parts. Courtesy Nissan is a widely recognized Nissan dealer that has pretty good prices on OEM parts. I also like CZP and ZSpeed.

As far as a factory service manual, you can download everything for your '06 here. There is another more popular website, but I just tried accessing it and it did strange things, but the link I posted is reliable.

Enjoy!
Old 02-25-2022, 06:32 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

One point on that FSM link above. Go to the IDX (index) section first to get some idea of where to go for specific functions.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:40 AM
jthan.ami

Very cool guys! Thanks so much for the links to the shop manual. I guess no need for a Chilton or Haynes if you've got the OEM version.