Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Starting to look at Z's and upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Pocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to look at Z's and upgrades!

Hello everyone, my name is Pocket. I'm looking into buying and upgrading a 350z (04-09). I have a budget of $12,500 and live in California. I am still trying to decide between grippy race car or a drift car. Most 350z's in my area go from around $6,500-$10,000. I'm looking for recommendations and tips to go either way (grip or drift). Thanks, ~Pocket
Old 08-01-2018, 11:34 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome, Pocket- I'm going to take a different tack and suggest you NOT purchase a 350Z if your intent is to build a race or drift car. You're better off looking for a built racecar or drift car that already has safety gear (roll cage, seat, belts, etc.) installed and some spares to use. Cars that come to mind for someone learning to build their driving skills are cars like the Mazda Miata or Nissan 240SX.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:47 PM
SpartaEvolution

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Hello and welcome! I agree with DK, if you're looking for a street / mild track car the Z is great, but it will be a lot more expensive to maintain when you beat it up on track which is sounds like is your goal.

If you're looking to improve your driving skills and are new to the track -

M iata
I s
A lways
T he
A nswer
Old 08-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Pocket

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome, Pocket- I'm going to take a different tack and suggest you NOT purchase a 350Z if your intent is to build a race or drift car. You're better off looking for a built racecar or drift car that already has safety gear (roll cage, seat, belts, etc.) installed and some spares to use. Cars that come to mind for someone learning to build their driving skills are cars like the Mazda Miata or Nissan 240SX.
Yes I understand that. But I am also looking to daily this car. So it will not be a full blown drift or race car. Also, I am 6"5' so I will not fit comfortably in a Miata or s13/s14 without a decent amount of modification. (Trust me I've tried) Also I'm really into the z platform. (And I fit comfortably). But thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Pocket

Originally Posted by dkmura
Originally Posted by SpartaEvolution
Hello and welcome! I agree with DK, if you're looking for a street / mild track car the Z is great, but it will be a lot more expensive to maintain when you beat it up on track which is sounds like is your goal.

If you're looking to improve your driving skills and are new to the track -

M iata
I s
A lways
T he
A nswer
Yes I understand that. But I am also looking to daily this car. So it will not be a full blown drift or race car. Also, I am 6"5' so I will not fit comfortably in a Miata or s13/s14 without a decent amount of modification. (Trust me I've tried) Also I'm really into the z platform. (And I fit comfortably). But thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-02-2018, 07:57 AM
SpartaEvolution

In that case, depending on how extreme you want to get, most common modifications will lend well to grip and drift, so it will really depend on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to dive. Personally I prefer 'grip' oriented cars, but that's one man's opinion. What events are local to you?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:23 AM
KRyn

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

At 6'5 with a helmet you are not going to fit in a 350Z with an OEM seat. Your first mod should be an aftermarket seat with the lowest rails you can find. Even then, I bet you may not fit.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:32 AM
SpartaEvolution

^^ I was gunna say, I'm only 6' and I had to lower the OE seat in my V35 sedan for my helmet to fit. I've never been in a Z with a helmet, but I'd be surprised if the Z had more headroom.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:36 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Does the 12.5k include the budget for mods? If you spend 6k, it will be a beat up Z and you'll be spending money on maintenance and repairs. If you spend 10k you'll get a nicer example but not much room for mods.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Pocket

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Does the 12.5k include the budget for mods? If you spend 6k, it will be a beat up Z and you'll be spending money on maintenance and repairs. If you spend 10k you'll get a nicer example but not much room for mods.
Yes it includes the first mods, bit the budget will be going up over time
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 AM
Pocket

In that case, depending on how extreme you want to get, most common modifications will lend well to grip and drift, so it will really depend on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to dive. Personally I prefer 'grip' oriented cars, but that's one man's opinion. What events are local to you?
More standard racing events are around and I have been drifing for about two years now (in my friends friends cars, on and off). So I would like a change of pace.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Pocket

Originally Posted by KRyn
At 6'5 with a helmet you are not going to fit in a 350Z with an OEM seat. Your first mod should be an aftermarket seat with the lowest rails you can find. Even then, I bet you may not fit.
Well looks like I'm dropping some money into an aftermarket seat and lower brackets
Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 AM
KRyn

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ I was gunna say, I'm only 6' and I had to lower the OE seat in my V35 sedan for my helmet to fit. I've never been in a Z with a helmet, but I'd be surprised if the Z had more headroom.
I am 5'11 and with the seat more or less lowered all the way down and my helmet on, my head rubs the headliner in some spots. I would be surprised if the OP is able to comfortably fit in a Z with his helmet on even after low profile rails and a seat with minimal padding, good luck!

If you are going to be drifting this car and doing some HPDEs you should look at getting a proper differential. I absolutely love my 350Z but the the biggest short coming of the entire car is the VLSD, it a steaming pile of garbage. If my car wasn't setup to comply with SCCA Street class rules I would have a proper differential in the car.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:28 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
Well looks like I'm dropping some money into an aftermarket seat and lower brackets
Get the car first then start posting your buys. This can turn into a wish list thread very quickly and we all know how those end up.