Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

NISMO Z vs. standard Z debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:07 AM
Fluid1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not worth it to me. I can pick my own ugly body kit.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:07 AM
njsho

How much would it cost to have a stock non-nismo Z stripped and seam welded and put back together?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:13 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Functional body kit vs a non-functional and just for looks body kit. Give me the NISMO one.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:14 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by njsho
How much would it cost to have a stock non-nismo Z stripped and seam welded and put back together?
More than the car is worth seriously.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Obviously you haven't done your research about the car. And I refuse to discuss it with someone like yourself.
Very well. Off the NissanUSA website:

Nismo:
The best handling Z®. Ever. [2] Features Enthusiast equipment, plus: Brembo® braking system, NISMO super-lightweight wheels by RAYS®, enhanced aerodynamics kit, body weld reinforcements, NISMO-tuned sport suspension, NISMO-tuned exhaust, a special NISMO tachometer face and a serialized plaque commemorating the NISMO Z®’s limited production.

So, to be fair based on what Nissan is saying:

Enthusiast - $30,210
Nismo - $38,680
Difference: $8470

So, for $8470 I get marginal BBK, Rays, questionable body kit, struts/shocks and springs, cat-back, extra chassis stamping and a plaque Seems very expensive. I noticed that you're a Nismo owner so it's pretty safe to assume you're probably slightly biased. If I missed anything, please add to what I just said and educate me.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Ziggyrama

Functional body kit vs a non-functional and just for looks body kit. Give me the NISMO one.
I hate be the one to state the obvious but 99.9% of body kits on street cars are not significantly functional. They're added to enhance curb appeal. They create some kind of down force or reduce drag coefficient? Probably. By how much? 5%? Point of diminishing returns. It's almost an equivalent to modding an NA car for power with bolt-ons. Lots of money for almost no gain. I guess you can say they are marginally functional but let's not kid ourselves as to what the primary purpose is.
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cannot just buy an Enth model and reproduce the car. The chassis has extra seam welding done. I am glad it is limited to 1500 copies over two years. At the price I got it (invoice) it is worth ever penny. Those of us who have one will continue wiping the grin off our face every time we drive it.
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Obviously again you did not research.

2007 Nissan NISMO 350Z Continues Tradition of Performance With Super GT Race-Inspired Styling and Features

****Taking Performance One Step Further With the 2007 NISMO 350Z****

For the first time ever in the Nissan Z’s 37-year history, a high-performance NISMO 350Z is part of the extensive Z lineup. The new 2007 Nissan NISMO 350Z, which makes its North American debut at the 2007 New York International Auto Show, features an extensively developed list of unique equipment – including a special body package and improved handling equipment. This new model, the fifth in the 2007 350Z Coupe lineup, is available with a 6-speed manual transmission only. It goes on sale at Nissan dealers nationwide in July 2007.
NISMO, the premier supplier of high-performance aftermarket parts and accessories for Nissan vehicles in the United States since 2003, previously participated in the development of the NISMO Frontier off-road pickup truck, introduced in 2005. The NISMO 350Z is the second Nissan model to be branded with the legendary marque. Like the Frontier model, which is specially equipped for off-road excursions, the 2007 NISMO 350Z is optimized for enthusiast drivers.
“With the combination of the new VQ35HR engine found on all 2007 350Zs and NISMO performance and design enhancements, the NISMO 350Z represents the pinnacle of Nissan performance machines,” said Bill Bosley, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division, Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA).

"The NISMO 350Z is the ideal package for true enthusiasts – adding a high level of aesthetic and performance enhancing equipment which is not available in the aftermarket – while retaining the reliability, durability, and comprehensive warranty found standard on every 2007 Nissan 350Z,” he continued.
The most striking visual feature of this special vehicle is the NISMO aerodynamics package, which strongly resembles the Super GT championship winning Zs. Featuring an aggressive front fascia with chin spoiler, side skirts, an extended rear fascia with underbody diffuser and a rear wing, the NISMO 350Z produces additional aerodynamic downforce to provide enhanced cornering and handling performance.
Special consideration is given during assembly of the NISMO 350Z – structural rigidity is enhanced by additional body welds to the already rigid 350Z body and additional supports have been added front and rear. The NISMO 350Z also utilizes special body dampers mounted in the front radiator core support and in the rear cargo area, which assist in controlling body vibrations.
Additional performance features include a special NISMO-tuned independent multi-link suspension, Brembo brakes with four-piston front and two-piston rear calipers (with 12.8-inch front and 12.7-inch rear rotors) and special NISMO-branded gunmetal gray RAYS super lightweight forged-alloy wheels (18x9-inch front and 19x10-inch rear with 245/40WR18 front, 265/35WR19 rear Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires). A special NISMO-branded tuned exhaust adds an even more authoritative tone to the Z’s 306-horsepower V6 engine.
“The combination of aerodynamic enhancements and performance tuning adds up to a Z with enhanced cornering, steering precision and handling,” said Bosley. “Every exterior and mechanical improvement made to the NISMO 350Z isn’t just for show, it’s also for performance.”
Four exterior colors are available, including Redline Red, Magnetic Black, Silver Alloy and Pikes Peak White.

Inside, NISMO 350Z drivers receive special treatment with unique black cloth seats with red inserts, red stitching throughout the interior and special NISMO white-faced tachometer. All NISMO 350Zs receive a serialized NISMO-etched aluminum plaque mounted on the center console, designating its limited edition status.
The NISMO 350Z includes a full complement of 350Z standard features, including the new VQ35HR 3.5-liter V6 engine producing 306 horsepower @ 6,800 RPM and 268 lb-ft of torque @ 4,800 RPM – with more than 90% of torque available between 2,000 and 7,000 RPM. Engine features include variable exhaust cam timing (eCVTCS), a 7,500 rpm rev limit and a symmetric twin ram air intake system.
The standard 6-speed manual transmission features close-ratio gearing from 1st through 5th gears for high-performance driving and an overdrive 6th speed for highway fuel economy. For performance handling, standard on the NISMO 350Z is a Traction Control System (TCS) and Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD).
Also standard is electronically-controlled vehicle speed-sensitive dual-orifice rack-and-pinion power steering system, front and rear strut tower bracing, 4-wheel disc Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA), HomeLink® Universal Transceiver, cruise control, aluminum pedals, illuminated steering wheel audio controls and auto dimming rearview mirror, power windows, 3-bay gauge cluster, High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-xenon (high and low beam) headlights, LED taillights, Advanced Air Bag System, side and curtain side-impact supplemental air bags and Active Head Restraints.
“The NISMO 350Z is geared towards enthusiasts who want the ultimate 350Z straight from the factory performance experts,” said Bosley. “They also want a Z that makes a statement and is a testament to their love of driving.”

• NISMO aerodynamics package, including front fascia with chin spoiler, side skirts, rear fascia with diffuser and rear wing
• Additional body structure measures, including additional body welds and front and rear reinforcements
• Special body dampers mounted in the front radiator core support and rear cargo area
• High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-xenon (high and low beam) headlights and LED brake lights
• Long wheelbase (104.3 inches), short overhangs and wide stance; raised rear deck for enhanced aerodynamics
• TBD coefficient of drag
• Strong, spine-like beltline anchored with large, distinctive taillights
• Aluminum hood, distinctive vertical door handles, heated outside mirrors
• Four available exterior colors – Redline Red, Magnetic Black, Silver Alloy, Pikes Peak White

2007 Nissan 350Z Nismo
Well, it's great to know that there's going to be a 2007 Nissan 350Z Nismo, a limited-production version of the 2007 Nissan 350Z that's been tricked up for hard-core drivers. We expect it to arrive in the U.S. later this year.

Introduced at the 2007 Tokyo Auto Salon last month and soon to arrive at Nissan dealers in Japan, the 2007 Nissan 350Z Nismo has already turned a lot of heads. It looks pretty racy, but it's not exactly a Nismo.

The limited-production 2007 Nissan 350Z Nismo is actually being put together by Autech Japan, a longtime builder of specialty Nissans for commercial use and drivers with special needs. In recent years, Autech has been building
high-profile Nissan special editions.

Autech has recently become a motorsports company, and it builds and prepares the Nissan Z-car that competes in the Japan Super GT racing series. The Autech-prepared Z-car even won the series last year with German racer Michael Krumm at the wheel. So it's no surprise that there's more to the Nismo Z than simply some parts swapping from the Nismo catalog.
It all starts with the 2007 Nissan 350Z and its new-generation 3.5-liter VQ35HR V6, which produces 306 horsepower at 6,800 rpm and revs to 7,500 rpm. There's a large, low-restriction exhaust muffler as well.

Autech welds up the seams in the Z-car's unit-body chassis, a familiar racing practice that adds more structural rigidity to the Z-car's chassis than the conventional spot welds from the Nissan assembly line can provide. The usual strut-tower braces further improve chassis stiffness. 2007 Nissan 350Z Nismo
Even more body rigidity comes from Autech's innovative use of special pieces beneath the Z-car's unit-body. Special mass from Yamaha are mounted between the left- and right-side frame members to resist flex and vibration. This must be the first time Yamaha has been linked to the Z-car since the motorcycle company proposed a sports-car prototype for Nissan in 1964, only to have its design refused. (The car later surfaced as the Toyota 2000GT.)
Old 10-09-2008, 05:22 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
I hate be the one to state the obvious but 99.9% of body kits on street cars are not significantly functional. They're added to enhance curb appeal. They create some kind of down force or reduce drag coefficient? Probably. By how much? 5%? Point of diminishing returns. It's almost an equivalent to modding an NA car for power with bolt-ons. Lots of money for almost no gain. I guess you can say they are marginally functional but let's not kid ourselves as to what the primary purpose is.
Most are, but hte NISMO is not just a body kit. Read the article I just posted. It is functional.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Ziggyrama

^^^ Doesn't that add up to basically what I said? Drop a lot of marketing fluff and you have the list I posted, except for the "body dampeners" near the radiator. Just because someone (that is trying to sell you the car) is talking a big game about it doesn't change the facts and the comprehensive list of enhancements.

I don't know what you mean by research. This is not researching how to solve world hunger. Nismo features are a discrete list of enhancements. I am not arguing the "goddness" of all these things (except the body kit which is subjective). I am trying to point out the cost at which you get these things. Nissan posted a list of features unique to the Nismo, relative to the enthusiast model. You just gave me a marketing brochure which, when summarized, states the same thing. Is there anything else I missed in my research? Please don't be fooled by things like "better handling" or "improved suspension". How much better? Would you say the Nismo Z handles twice as well as enthusiast model? 50% better? 10%? Just how much better is it? I bet that the difference in lateral g forces between the 2 are marginal.

Jmark, you said that you smile every time you drive a Nismo. Did you not smile in the non-nismo Z?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Ziggyrama

Most are, but hte NISMO is not just a body kit. Read the article I just posted. It is functional.
Yes, indeed. Subaru claims STI's wing is also functional....at 150mph. How much down force do you think you'll get from it? Grounding kits technically are also very functional. They improve electrical efficiency of the car. I would like to charge you $500 for it. Would you pay for it? Do you get my point?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Nidhogg
Banned

Don't even argue with him. He drives a base Z.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:48 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

...Jmark, you said that you smile every time you drive a Nismo. Did you not smile in the non-nismo Z...
You got a point I driven all trims of the Z, and all have made me grin when shifting. I didn't test drive my car nor did I sit in it before I brought it. Having the factory stamp greatest on the car was enough cause the car before was good. I car handles more confident than a touring/enthusiasts models. The base models always well feel "skinny" to me.

The rear of the car makes the car for me

Last edited by KingBaby; 10-09-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:50 AM
2007 Z

Would you say the Nismo Z handles twice as well as enthusiast model? 50% better? 10%? Just how much better is it?
Originally Posted by superstreetonline
The end result is a NISMO-tuned Z that can run Tsukuba a second and a half faster than a regular 350 Z.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...upe/index.html
Old 10-09-2008, 05:51 AM
jmark

^^^ Doesn't that add up to basically what I said? Drop a lot of marketing fluff and you have the list I posted, except for the "body dampeners" near the radiator. Just because someone (that is trying to sell you the car) is talking a big game about it doesn't change the facts and the comprehensive list of enhancements.

I don't know what you mean by research. This is not researching how to solve world hunger. Nismo features are a discrete list of enhancements. I am not arguing the "goddness" of all these things (except the body kit which is subjective). I am trying to point out the cost at which you get these things. Nissan posted a list of features unique to the Nismo, relative to the enthusiast model. You just gave me a marketing brochure which, when summarized, states the same thing. Is there anything else I missed in my research? Please don't be fooled by things like "better handling" or "improved suspension". How much better? Would you say the Nismo Z handles twice as well as enthusiast model? 50% better? 10%? Just how much better is it? I bet that the difference in lateral g forces between the 2 are marginal.

Jmark, you said that you smile every time you drive a Nismo. Did you not smile in the non-nismo Z?
I did not smile in my 2003 Track. The mismatched springs & shocks sucked. Not till I spent money for Koni SA shocks was I happy with the 03. The Nismo Z is head and shoulders above my 03 in looks, motor, handling & ride. Yes the ride is firm but very well tuned. The HR motor is much more refined than the 03 motor. The Nismo Z is what the Track model should have been from day 1!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by Nidhogg
Don't even argue with him. He drives a base Z.
Not sure how my base Z is relevant to this discussion and I fail to see how me driving a base Z makes the Nismo any better. Way to be ignorant.

OK, so 1.5sec lap difference is worth $8K to you Nismo owners. I am OK with disagreeing about this. It really comes down to money and value for me and reading numerous articles about the Nismo and how great it is doesn't change this fact in my mind. Furthermore, the fact that I keep getting posts of articles from some people on the internet regurgitating the Nissan brochure for me is a statement in itself. I understand all of the owners saying Nismo is a great car. I get it. You feel it's worth the extra cash. I disagree.

Jmark, you're comparing an 03 to an 08. Doesn't seem like a fair comparison. I'd be curious to hear from people that extensively drove both 08s and can post feedback.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 AM
jmark

Why are you curious? You aren't going to buy a Nismo Z. So why even discuss it.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 AM
GHOST1207

Nismo Z > 350Z

•Function over form
•Exclusivity
•Track worthy handling
•Overall it's sexy
•One of the best body syle out there for the Z

While I was in the market for a Z, the dealership I had bought the Z from had a black nismo, #1316 I believe. It was a tough choice to make, but I went for the touring because of the leather and the seat warmers, personal peferences. But the nismo IMO is for the hardcore Z enthusiast who like to go out and road race their car often. I don't have the time to go and hit up time attack and auto X, and plus, I'll be scared to death owning a very limited edition car. I wouldve kept her as a garage queen.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on what you are looking for. For me, no not worth it. Performance is important to me but not all I look for in a car. For the price, no, not worth it.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid1
That too

Quick Reply: NISMO Z vs. standard Z debate