Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

NISMO Z vs. standard Z debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:09 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question NISMO Z vs. standard Z debate

This seems to be a big subject around here, so basically this is just a thread open to all opinions on the matter whether or not you think the NISMO Z is really worth the extra 5-7K over a standard Z(from the factory), and if it's really any "better" (the definition of "better" is up to you).
Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
2007 Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the Touring and Grand Touring trim levels cost more than the Nismo. Mine was $40k and I don't have NAV. I've seen some GT roadsters at $46k. So the Nismo does not necessarily cost more.

As for performance, I would hope it performs better on an autox than the standard. In the 1/4, I've yet to be impressed...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

nismo > 03-08 Z's > stupid retarded lookin 370Z

my thoughts
Old 10-08-2008, 11:29 PM
stealthz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is probably worth the extra cash but it's just a little too flashy for me.... although does it really cost that much more than a grand touring? cause I know when my track model was new it was close to the same price as the nismo's z
a lot of us put the same mods on, we just use more options that aren't always factory...
but if you like all the options that it comes with it'll probably save you money... and you get the fancy two tone red interior and the nismo badges..
Exhaust cost about 1000
suspension 2000
body kit about another 2000
an used set of factory brembo's go for 2000
extra welds in the chassis... lol priceless
So yea I think it's definitely worth it, if it fits your style.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:35 PM
2007 Z

Originally Posted by stealthz
does it really cost that much more than a grand touring?
It costs less than some of the higher models. It has Nismo performance parts installed, but is lacking in luxury (i.e. no bose, bluetooth, leather, nav, etc..)
Old 10-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Chineseguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes Nismo is worth it. i just wished it came out earlier so that i couldve bought it.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 PM
stealthz

Originally Posted by 2007-Z
It costs less than some of the higher models. It has Nismo performance parts installed, but is lacking in luxury (i.e. no bose, bluetooth, leather, nav, etc..)
my track model came with nav but lacking in bose, bluetooth, and leather... and still was about the same price as a nismo Z... or close to it anyways, so it's good for it's value, like many others I had to buy the body kit, exhaust, suspension, etc... on top of the price of the car.... so yea if it fits your style it'll definitely save you some money later on....

Last edited by stealthz; 10-08-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Ziggyrama

I don't see how Nismo Z is worth it. For the extra cash you pay over a Gtrand Touring model ($2K), you can buy yourself a set of coilovers and exhaust....and have leather with all the rest of the comforts minus the hideous body kit. Nismo = overpriced. Generally, upgrading to performance models from factory works out favorably if you think about what you're getting for the money but in this case, I don't see what the extra money is for.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

The Nismo is absolutely worth it for the stiffer chassis and better suspension. Sounds sacrilegious, but If I got one, I would def swap out the rear wing. I can't stand that thing. I'd be tempted to swap out the rear bumper too.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:17 AM
stealthz

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
The Nismo is absolutely worth it for the stiffer chassis and better suspension. Sounds sacrilegious, but If I got one, I would def swap out the rear wing. I can't stand that thing. I'd be tempted to swap out the rear bumper too.
lol tempted? I think the rear bumper would have to go before the spoiler does... but yea if I owned one they would both becoming off....
Old 10-09-2008, 02:24 AM
SouiT

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
I don't see how Nismo Z is worth it. For the extra cash you pay over a Gtrand Touring model ($2K), you can buy yourself a set of coilovers and exhaust....and have leather with all the rest of the comforts minus the hideous body kit. Nismo = overpriced. Generally, upgrading to performance models from factory works out favorably if you think about what you're getting for the money but in this case, I don't see what the extra money is for.
Nissan Warranty and legit Nismo products..

Its like that with all car company's "factory tuned" has always been pricier than going better performing aftermarket parts from other companies.
When did this become a new thing?

Kinda like getting a Honda S2000CR for 40k instead of a used s2k for 12k.
Why not get a Mustang and supercharge it yourself instead of buying the Cobra.
Getting an NSX and modding it compared to getting the NSX-R.
You get the idea.
Nismo for the Nissan Fans
Don't hate on it because stock to stock "its better" than a stock Z.
Thank god/allah/buddha for aftermarket parts
Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 AM
dcmaxclub

double post.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 AM
dcmaxclub

Originally Posted by SouiT

Its like that with all car company's "factory tuned" has always been pricier than going better performing aftermarket parts from other companies.

You get the idea.
If I were shopping for a Z, whether it is worth it or not would depend on how much additional money it would cost to get that horrendous rear replaced with something decent looking.

For the people that want the best handling Z off the lot, don't plan on doing a lot of upgrades, and like / can stomach the way it looks I think it would be worth it.

What is 'better' will depend on personal preference and what you value the most out of the car.

Last edited by dcmaxclub; 10-09-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:20 AM
bassholic
Banned

can someone direct my to some photos of these two cars
Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

google.com
Old 10-09-2008, 04:56 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
This seems to be a big subject around here, so basically this is just a thread open to all opinions on the matter whether or not you think the NISMO Z is really worth the extra 5-7K over a standard Z(from the factory), and if it's really any "better" (the definition of "better" is up to you).

If you are into road racing, or autox, no questions asked the NISMO is the car to get. If not, then get the normal models, because the NISMO is a bit stiff for daily use.

I have driven the regular 350z, and the NISMO out shines it on the track by a big margin.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Is that worth extra $4K? I figure the difference is really $4k since the nismo looses the leather and heater butt warmers which you get in GT. Seems like a lot of cash for "stiffer chassis" (how much stiffer is it really? 10%? 15%? Certainly not 100% stiffer), some struts and spring and a big whale tail. IMHO, that is not worth $4k. I don't see value in it.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

So..... Everything is NISMO?? I doubt it fellas.. Not to offend you NISMO owners but.. Does your Nismo have Nismo headers, Nismo Clutch/flywheel/clutch cover, Nismo Exhaust/HFCs, Nismo Diff/fin diff cover, Nismo Cams etc.. Prob not.. Id like to know exactly what they added besides suspension/body kit.

Not taking anything away from the Nismo Z, because I do like it alot.. What would that cost if you bought an enthusiast for example and added those parts.. No more than 5k..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 10-10-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by SouiT

You get the idea.
I understand your point. Your example is slightly off since swapping struts/springs vs. supercharging has a significantly different impact on warranty. If I change to coilovers and I am not slammed, I will not have a problem with 90%of warranty claims. Doing that with a supercharged NA car would yield significantly less success.

My point was that the things you get and loose for the amount of money you pay seems disproportionate. I am not questioning that having Nismo suspension is a good thing or having a stiffer chassis is fantastic. I look at it as value proposition and Nismo does not bring value to the table in my eyes. I am not criticizing those who would buy one. Lots of people are willing to pay premium for those extras and they can justify it to themselves. I guess I would not buy the Nismo Z myself....is all.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Is that worth extra $4K? I figure the difference is really $4k since the nismo looses the leather and heater butt warmers which you get in GT. Seems like a lot of cash for "stiffer chassis" (how much stiffer is it really? 10%? 15%? Certainly not 100% stiffer), some struts and spring and a big whale tail. IMHO, that is not worth $4k. I don't see value in it.
Obviously you haven't done your research about the car. And I refuse to discuss it with someone like yourself.

Quick Reply: NISMO Z vs. standard Z debate