Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

NISMO Z vs. standard Z debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Nidhogg
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Not sure how my base Z is relevant to this discussion and I fail to see how me driving a base Z makes the Nismo any better. Way to be ignorant.
Just seems like you've got a little envy or trying to justify cheeping out.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:40 PM
wrxgrillin

U guys al talk about saving money and all this ****, i picked up my nismo for 26,500 granted it had 9k miles on it but thats still pretty much new. Like i said before in another post with the economy the way it is u can get a nismo for 35k ttt. Why not?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Simann

I am really appauled at reading some of the nonsense on this thread. Evidentally someone really has a chip on their shoulders. The car is amazing, if you ever have a chance to drive one, you will instantly understand why there is so much hype about the car. Its handling is by far, lightyears ahead. The chassis is noticably much more rigid and defined as you drive it. There are more harmonics that resonate inside the cabin (something I particularly love).
And the body, I admit when I first saw the press photos I hated it. But when I saw the first one in person (Nagaro Red), I did a triple take! Then I saw my silver one at the BMW of Nashville "used" lot with a meere 158 miles on the odometer, I litterally fell in love.

You cannot justify reading articles to understand a machine like this. You must simply experiance it for yourself to give a educated opinion. Anything less is purely unintelligent gossip.

-Jonathan
Old 10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nidhogg
Just seems like you've got a little envy or trying to justify cheeping out.
+1 lol
Old 10-09-2008, 07:24 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KManZ
My question is: is the suspension on the Nismo Z the S-Tune parts? (Shocks/sways)

Like BBoy said above me, the Nismo wasn't made for straight-line/ 1/4 mile times. The Nismo kit on the car is designed for downforce, which equals drag, which equals resistance to air flow, and hence, a slightly affected 1/4 mile time.
how does downforce = drag?. Downforce might create some drag. Cars that produce downforce are usually more resistant to drag, because their also aerodynamic which allows the air to flow over and around the car with very little resistance. Basically what your saying is, a car that is less aerodynamic has less drag? that doesn't make any damn sense. The more aerodynamic a car is, the less drag it creates. With that being said, a nismo Z will run the 1/4 just as fast as a standard Z.

Last edited by NISMO_558; 10-09-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
how does downforce = drag?. Downforce might create some drag. Cars that produce downforce are usually more resistant to drag, because their also aerodynamic which allows the air to flow over and around the car with very little resistance. Basically what your saying is, a car that is less aerodynamic has less drag? that doesn't make any damn sense. The more aerodynamic a car is, the less drag it creates. With that being said, a nismo Z will run the 1/4 just as fast as a standard Z.
No. Just no.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 PM
konaforever

Um, wrong. The downforce is the redirection of passing air downward to keep the car planted, thereby increasing drag. So the Nismo is less aerodynamic. That's the point of creating downforce!

"The creation of downforce by passive devices can only be achieved at the cost of increased aerodynamic drag (or friction), and the optimum setup is always a compromise between the two."

Last edited by konaforever; 10-09-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Dozzi94

/\/\/\/\/\ +1 Nismo = Twisty Friendly.

Nismo \=\ 1/4 Mile.

At least until you put the TT in it .
Old 10-09-2008, 11:36 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by konaforever
Um, wrong. The downforce is the redirection of passing air downward to keep the car planted, thereby increasing drag. So the Nismo is less aerodynamic. That's the point of creating downforce!

"The creation of downforce by passive devices can only be achieved at the cost of increased aerodynamic drag (or friction), and the optimum setup is always a compromise between the two."
sorry I don't hold a major in vehicle aerodynamics, the whole thing is irrelevant, so a nismo may be a tenth of a second slower in the 1/4, if that, everybody makes it seem like it's so much slower.

Last edited by NISMO_558; 10-09-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

^ Don't try and talk about a subject you have no clue about then. Makes you look stupid.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:36 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Downforce pushes the car down to the ground. When this happens, it puts more drag on the car and will slow it down. It will not be as fast as a normal 350z top end, but it will be more stable.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:10 AM
WTX350Z

Completely a personal preference as to whether its worth it, or even worth owning.

I Personally wouldn't own one if I could trade straight up for my 2003. yes I'm serious. I think they are freakin ugly, and yes I'm that shallow. I like pretty women, and pretty cars...the Nismo isn't pretty. Its "boy racer" and while some people like that look. I don't. Again to each their own. but there's my
Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 AM
K223

Originally Posted by wrxgrillin
U guys al talk about saving money and all this ****, i picked up my nismo for 26,500 granted it had 9k miles on it but thats still pretty much new. Like i said before in another post with the economy the way it is u can get a nismo for 35k ttt. Why not?
Did you buy it privately or from a dealer? Where about are you located? I am in South FL and looking to be in one soon most likely.

K223
Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 AM
crskillz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Lol...this thread is very very funny, yet very interesting and informative. I love the passion expressed for the Z!

I saw the NISMO Z at the car show and also didn't like it's overall appearance (rear bumper, wing, front bumper). I like the more subtle appearance of the Enthusiast 350Z. (just my 2cents)...

However, I saw one on the West Side Highway (NYC) and the exhaust note is beautiful!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:55 AM
K223

Originally Posted by crskillz
Lol...this thread is very very funny, yet very interesting and informative. I love the passion expressed for the Z!

I saw the NISMO Z at the car show and also didn't like it's overall appearance (rear bumper, wing, front bumper). I like the more subtle appearance of the Enthusiast 350Z. (just my 2cents)...

However, I saw one on the West Side Highway (NYC) and the exhaust note is beautiful!
I wonder how a car like this would tackle the pot holes of Manhattan LOL Then again would make a great platform to scoot around the streets in quick and nimble...Just avoid the taxi's lol

K223
Old 10-10-2008, 07:14 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by jmark
^ The Nismo Z suspension is NOT the S-Tune parts.
Thanks for answering
Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 AM
350z 6spd

Originally Posted by K223
I wonder how a car like this would tackle the pot holes of Manhattan LOL Then again would make a great platform to scoot around the streets in quick and nimble...Just avoid the taxi's lol

K223
Funny you mention that lol. My buddy and I did a road trip in my nismo from south fl to ny about a month and a half ago. Stayed on L.I., in the city, D.C. Philly, and a little town in NC on the way there. Surprisingly it wasn't too bad through the potholes of manhattan haha.
Also, I had an 03 before the nismo...two completely different animals. As stated above, you have drive it to be able to make an educated opinion.

Last edited by 350z 6spd; 10-10-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:15 AM
K223

Originally Posted by 350z 6spd
Funny you mention that lol. My buddy and I did a road trip in my nismo from south fl to ny about a month and a half ago. Stayed on L.I., in the city, D.C. Philly, and a little town in NC on the way there. Surprisingly it wasn't too bad through the potholes of manhattan haha.
Also, I had an 03 before the nismo...two completely different animals. As stated above, you have drive it to be able to make an educated opinion.
Your not too far up the road from me.....Smooth roads down here compared to up north in some places like the city. I have been beat up in worse rides as far as drive quality goes....Thought the Nismo was smooth as silk after I test drove one....Now I am thinking I need to test drive a GT and see how it handles as it's probably a floater on the highway if many say the Nismo rides to tough. Nice not to be battered in a sports car, but to some degree I think you need to feel the road somewhat in a handling type of car.

K223
Old 10-10-2008, 08:29 AM
TheOne&OnlyZ

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Downforce pushes the car down to the ground. When this happens, it puts more drag on the car and will slow it down. It will not be as fast as a normal 350z top end, but it will be more stable.
lol okay before everyone tries to clearly state there point on how nismo z are not worth it blah blah blah..........just stop i own enthusiast and im happy everytime i get in my car.....i dont like the rear of the nismo thats fine its my opinion some might and thats cool with me. So everyone stop trying prove nismo z are not worth it and that you can find the parts on your own or even better for thousands cheaper. Look when you look up the vin number no matter what you do yours will always be base/enthusiast.touring etc...but for nismo owners they get that satisfaction they have a one of a kind nismo z that was manufactured by nissan. They get all those nice little goodies in a very rare package. They paid more for there car they deserve the satisfaction
of the uniqueness of there car. So if i owned a nismo i would be like ..."screw you guys i did pay alot but guess what i have a nismo and to me its worth everyone penny. lol"...We all love the Z there all great and fun so enjoy and quit trying fight each other over base or nismo.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 AM
pacfwu

I just wanna know why Nismo owners are the only ones that have to justify their purchase. Should I start a thread calling out everyone that has a Touring or Grand Touring model car or a Z owner with an automatic, just because I don't think that power/heated/leather seats belong in a performance car and it's just added weight for no gain or because automatics aren't for a true sports car enthusiast? No. That's just dumb. My opinion shouldn't be any sort of deciding factor for anyone on this forum when it comes to their personal car purchase and I don't care about anyone else's opinion.

You cannot replicate a Nismo for the price difference between it and an Enthusiast. Fact. Can you build a better for the money? Perhaps. What do you consider a better car? Can you use that money to bolt on an FI kit and be quicker? Sure (if you DIY it). Can you slap on a prettier body kit that's more to your liking but probably not as functional? Sure (and if you are a form over function guy, then who cares). Can you just use that money for a super bad-boy suspension and be a track king? Probably. "Better" and "Worth it" are subjective terms.

There's pluses and minuses to every trim level of the 350z, and that's why they're offered that way. There's also a lot of differences between the model years as the car has evolved, many of them having their own pluses and minuses as well. So STFU about how you don't think the Nismo is worth it. I assume it isn't, or you would've bought one. For me, a Grand Touring model isn't worth it. Know how you can tell? I didn't buy one.

Quick Reply: NISMO Z vs. standard Z debate