Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:20 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Anyway, here it is...
****... Your car looks it. Nice work.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Jonny Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, I love the Hood!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by AznSky
Will it fit in the 4runner?

Man, my freakin insurance dood is closed today or else I would have turned the insurance on!!
I guess be happy you didn't. This white crap that keeps covering the ground has got to go!! I'm glad I went out today but it was a tease.

^ Looks awesome man! That drop is just gorgeous! Perfectly tucked. Before I would have said to do the 06-08 blacked out headlights but with your chrome wheels, I think the 03-05 match well.

I'm hoping to get do some exterior stuff this summer if I can find the time/money.
THX! I love the drop! I will roll the rears sometime this spring, put on the longer studs and finally install the spacers to flush it up a little better.

Originally Posted by thekinn
****... Your car looks it. Nice work.
Thanks Steve. I thought, Hey, Steve tracks. Maybe this would be good for him. In the end, I was surprised how light the OE hood is versus the carbon fiber. I didn't weigh the two but I'd say that there's only a few pounds difference between them. Other than promoting air flow into the engine bay and out through the hood, I'm not sure if there is a gain from this.

I like the fact you are a Z purist. You track and only add what is necessary to make your lap times go down. I'm the other end of the spectrum.

Originally Posted by Jonny Boy
Looks great, I love the Hood!
Thanks Jon! I got a lot of stares driving around today. I drove down 52 out to Clinton and back up HWY 12 to Ypsi. Just rural straight road but I knew the salt would be at a minimum. These little towns like Tecumseh are fun to roll through with something wild looking. Even old ladies point. See Rob, I can get the ladies with 'da 20's! (I even get a bonus because they don't have teeth!)

Last edited by Phreakdout; 02-21-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM
HRteckie

hey guys Ive got a set of prodrives on the way, I'll be putting up my 08' stockers w/ tpms and tires for sale. Any of you guys want first dibs? sell em to ya cheap. Just need to get pics off of my camera.

Awesome hood btw
Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM
sig11

Lookin' good, Brian. Holy **** it's low. Did you drop it more or am I nuts?

My Stillen G3 shipped today. Just need to get the damn snow to melt now and I can put it on.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by sig11
Lookin' good, Brian. Holy **** it's low. Did you drop it more or am I nuts?

My Stillen G3 shipped today. Just need to get the damn snow to melt now and I can put it on.
LOL - Nope, same ride height as before. Photo angles and the turned wheel must have fooled you.

Congrats on the G3. Those are pretty sweet looking. If you are considering a front bumper change, this is the time to do it. You'll have to remove the bumper to install the G3's anyway.

http://www.*******.com/intake-exhaus...eview-etc.html

For the spot blanked out by this forum: insert The 370Z . com without the spaces.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 02-23-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:43 AM
sig11

The dyno charts of similar setups lead me to believe that this should put me right around 300WHP. They say that after you do it the first time you can remove and replace the bumper in about 30 minutes.

I 'won' about $180 worth of sound deadening material from Second Skin too. I've got 40 spl tiles and 2 sheets of luxury liner pro coming. That should knock out a ton of the road noise from the hatch area.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:59 AM
AznSky

Ok so I decided on my exterior mods:

- Veilside V1 Replica Lip (ordering this week)
- Nismo Replica Sides (Got it from my good friend Ali)

I have a feeling the fitment is gonna be horrible on the lip and sides so I plan on buying a dremel. And since I'm going the cheaper route and buying replica, I plan on painting all the parts myself lol. I've read some stuff online and it shouldn't be too bad, especially with the lip since it's not a big part so any mis-match wouldn't be too noticeable.

I hope to have the lip on by Zdayz, but probably not the sides. If any of you guys have experience working with fiberglass stuff (ahem Brian), feel free to give me a hand

Although Brian you have to help me with my pads/rotors before Zdayz too!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 AM
sig11

I think we need to set up another mod day. :P
Old 02-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Datona Jess

Mod party for sure

Brian, like the look of the hood man...

My modding days are over for the Z's though..Nissan has a new policy out there that I just can't do it anymore. VERY disappointed so we are debating on ordering another one or not.... I will however still help you guys mod your cars...hahaha
Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Painting large parts seems like a daunting task.. Have you looked into this at all?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by thekinn
Painting large parts seems like a daunting task.. Have you looked into this at all?
Agreed. Please don't rattle can them. After you find that it looks bad, then you have the cost of sanding them down, reprimer and repaint.

Check around at a few places and see what prices you get. Don't be afraid to stop in with the parts so you get a more accurate quote. You want a shop to paint match and clear coat so everything matches. Rattle can paint tends to fade much faster than automotive paint with clear coat.

One critical factor, test fit and adjust BEFORE painting. Since the paint shop is painting loose parts, much of the R&R and masking costs are not applicable. They are also not fitting and adjusting the parts which is part of the general cost.

If cost is an issue, I'd go MAACO before rattle can.

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
Mod party for sure

Brian, like the look of the hood man...

My modding days are over for the Z's though..Nissan has a new policy out there that I just can't do it anymore. VERY disappointed so we are debating on ordering another one or not.... I will however still help you guys mod your cars...hahaha
Understandable. Honestly, the 370Z is great on its own. I'd say you can get away with simple bolt on mods that can be removed easily. (Short ram intake) Otherwise, just leave it be. You guys get such a sweet deal on the lease that it shouldn't prevent you from ordering another one.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 02-23-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM
AznSky

you guys gotta understand that it's just a lip. It'll get chipped and banged up with everyday driving. I don't want to pay +$100 to paint a lip that's gonna need repainting every year. A quick google search turned up a lot of posts from different forums that showed really good results. Hence another reason I'm getting replica, so I can paint it myself

If I had the money I'd definitely get the authentic, but for just a lip that's gonna get banged up, I didn't see it worth paying $400 for it. Although I am afraid of the fitting issues with the replica.

I am a bit afraid to paint the sides though, but since I got them for free, I might as well try

Last edited by AznSky; 02-23-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by Phreakdout

http://www.*******.com/intake-exhaus...eview-etc.html

For the spot blanked out by this forum: insert The 370Z . com without the spaces.
I believe THIS is the video of that install
Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 AM
mekatoka

you guys gotta understand that it's just a lip. It'll get chipped and banged up with everyday driving. I don't want to pay +$100 to paint a lip that's gonna need repainting every year.
Have you thought about doing a clear bra install. I know you are a handy guy Why not buy the film and try the install yourself. From what i know the film is not that expensive, the labor is.

Although Brian you have to help me with my pads/rotors before Zdayz too!
Let me know when you guys plan on doing the rotor install. I wanna join you guys. I am not sure if my rotors needs to be replaced, I will know once I take the car out in May and attend the track day.

Last edited by mekatoka; 02-23-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Phreakdout

^^ Agreed

Rob. the lip would be OK unpainted if it's already black. It would look better painted. It's up to you. Check with Skingy to see if he has any painting planned this spring. Since a paint shop has to mix paint to match, it's cheaper to have them combine yours and Scott's in one job versus two different jobs. You are charged for the minimum paint they have to mix. The additional spray time is minimal so long as the prep is done already.

But the sides really should be paint matched. It may be cheaper to list these Nismo sides up for sale and wait for a deal on some carbon fiber sides. Then you don't have to paint and rock chips are not so noticeable.

Clear bra material can be purchased on EBay. Go with the thicker material if this is a simple design lip. You can just do the lip and it wouldn't be so difficult to do. A buddy of mine has the material for the stock nose. I'll ask him what he wants for it. Maybe you can do the nose too at some point.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 AM
sig11

Originally Posted by mekatoka
Have you thought about doing a clear bra install..
Who did you have do your clear bra? I kind-of want to get one, but I have no idea who to go to. It's probably too late since I already have a couple rock dings though.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
mekatoka

Who did you have do your clear bra? I kind-of want to get one, but I have no idea who to go to. It's probably too late since I already have a couple rock dings though.
@Lee, we went over this in the past, looks like you forgot
Look HERE
Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
sig11

Gah!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
mekatoka

Gah!
Haha. If you can swing it get the clear bra done even if it has some rock chips. Some people rather get the bumper repainted every few years, but I'd go this route than waiting 3 yrs with rock chips on it.

It helps me a lot at the track days. No messy tape and it does save me time not putting the tape. And, looks sexy in the photos I even got the headlamps covered with the tape.

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3