Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:40 PM
mekatoka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Cool!! I need to learn how to do this from you.
1. Shoot pics with AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) at various exposures to capture the dynamic range in the image - the more the better
2. Combine all of them in a program like Photoshop, Photomatix etc

The key is playing with settings after combining several exposures to come up with a look that you like.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:32 PM
AznSky

Dude Deepu that's awesome as he'll. We can do our own photoshoots now

and to all the new guys, welcome! Hope u guys can make it to the first official meeting of the Michigan z club in a couple weeks

Last edited by AznSky; 06-05-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:56 PM
AznSky

hey what's everybody using for floor jacks / jack stands? My roommate moved out and took all his stuff so now I have to buy my own.

Last week I bought the harbor freight floor jack and jack stands. But ended up returning the jack stands because they felt too cheap for me.

Then I went to Sears to buy jack stands, they only had 2 1/4 ton ones or high lift 3 ton ones. I bought the high lift 3 ton ones but the minimum height is 13.5 in, and the max height of my floor jack is 14 in. So I just returned the those as well.....and I don't want to get the 2 1/4 ton ones cuz the attachment is completely flat, and I don't want to bend my pinchwelds.

Now I'm thinking I also want to return the small harbor freight floor jack and pony up and get a good craftsman floor jack.

I know Deepu just bought a set, which ones did you get and how are they working out?

Also how is everybody jacking up the car? One corner at a time? I used to use the factory jack to get one corner high enough so I could fit a floor jack down the middle of the car, but now I can't do that with the new bumper.....

So recommendations please!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 PM
skingy

i have the 3 ton craftsman jack, 2 jack stands, and heavy duty creeper package - i got it on sale for $99. they definitely feel solid, nothing cheap at all.

i drive up on a pair of 2x4's, then i drive up on 2 more. that gives enough clearance to get the jack under the front jack point. i put the 2 ton jack stands under the sides, then if i need to get the back up, i pull the jack out and get it under the rear pumpkin and once it's high enough i have 2 other jack stands. but i keep the jack under the pumpkin, just for extra safety (so long as i can work around it). also remember to put a pair of 2x4's under the rear wheels before you put it down totally, or the jack will get stuck under it.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by AznSky
I know Deepu just bought a set, which ones did you get and how are they working out?

Also how is everybody jacking up the car? One corner at a time? I used to use the factory jack to get one corner high enough so I could fit a floor jack down the middle of the car, but now I can't do that with the new bumper.....

I bought mine last year and they are made by Craftsman. I don't remember the specs but if they fit under mine they should fit under yours. Like you said, problem might be with the jack. At home I use the big craftsman jack which has a high lift ... again, don't remember the numbers sorry.

I also bought a harbor freight light weight racing jack to use at the track. That jack has trouble lifting the car high enough to put the car on jack stands on both front and back at same time. I noticed this past month when I was at Mid-Ohio.

At home when I use my full size jack, it can lift high enough that I can load the car on jack stands on one side. Then, go to the other side and lift and throw two other stands underneath the car.

Last edited by mekatoka; 06-06-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:24 PM
AznSky

yeah I saw that package at Sears today. I just wish the floor jack was a low profile one.

I really need to get somebody to make me a set of those 2x4 ramps. I bought the rhino ramps but can't use them now cuz of my front bumper.

Yeah I'm wondering if I should keep the harbor freight for track use, and then get a heavy duty one for home.

So Deepu when you do oil changes, you just jack one corner at a time? I was hoping to jack the entire front end up from the central point, but can't get a floor jack under there unless I build some 2x4 ramps.

Last edited by AznSky; 06-06-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:30 PM
skingy

a stock bumper won't work with those plastic ramps either. i returned them same-day, lol.

i will say that the BEST thing about the 3 ton jack is the height it jacks the car up to. lots of room under it to move around and work!

the 2x4's aren't a ramp - i just drive up on 2 pieces of 2x4 wood. it gets the car up 2 inches at a time. my 2x4's are about 6 feet long though - i need enough room so once i get the car up on them, i have enough room to put another pair of 2x4s on top of that (for a total of 4 inches). they're just flat pieces of lumber, though. hope that makes sense.

Last edited by skingy; 06-06-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 PM
mekatoka

yeah I saw that package at Sears today. I just wish the floor jack was a low profile one.

I really need to get somebody to make me a set of those 2x4 ramps. I bought the rhino ramps but can't use them now cuz of my front bumper.

Yeah I'm wondering if I should keep the harbor freight for track use, and then get a heavy duty one for home.

So Deepu when you do oil changes, you just jack one corner at a time? I was hoping to jack the entire front end up from the central point, but can't get a floor jack under there unless I build some 2x4 ramps.
Rhino ramps - are too high for any Z. They will only work with regular sedans. I bought and returned them.

When I did the oil change by myself (one and only one time so far ...lol) I jacked the front only and I did from the sides. I can't reach the front central point as my bumper is too low for the jack.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Phreakdout

I have the Rhino ramps. (Bought them from Steve) When I had the stock front bumper (no lip) and I was lowered at my current height, I would just place 2x4s in front of the ramp so my tire would touch the ramp a little higher off the floor. It was bloody close but it cleared and worked.

For me, I can't fit the Craftsman 3-ton under the car. So I have to start with the low profile racing jack from harbor freight. As Deepu said, the reach is not good enough so I slip the 3-ton in when the car is in the air.

I jack one side up and put on two jack stands. (Kind of low) When they are in place, I use the 3 ton and jack up by the pumpkin. This makes some nervous but it works. Then place the large floor jacks under each rear spring bucket. Then jack up the other side and place the floor jack at the desired height. Then go back to the first side and raise up the first jackstand. (A cookie to anyone who understands this.)

I use two craftsman jackstands. (Small ones which are good for the front.) Then I use the large 3-ton stands in the rear. I got these from Harbor Freight.

The ramps are also handy as jackstands. You can set the tire down on the ramp so the weight of the car is on the wheel. This helps if you need to work in an area where the jackstands get in the way.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 AM
AznSky

hmm...so looks like it's ok to use the smaller 2 1/4 ton (4000lb) crafstman jack stands for the front.....

May have to pick up a set this week along with a more heavy duty floor jack and do one front corner at a time just for an oil change *sigh*
Old 06-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Phreakdout

hmm...so looks like it's ok to use the smaller 2 1/4 ton (4000lb) crafstman jack stands for the front.....

May have to pick up a set this week along with a more heavy duty floor jack and do one front corner at a time just for an oil change *sigh*
Think about it, 3000# / 4 jackstands = 750 / jackstand. (It's even less if you leave the floor jacks in place supporting weight.)

Doesn't matter front or rear. I use the smaller in front becuase they go under the sideskirts. I use the taller ones in rear under the spring buckets. It comes out even.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Datona Jess

Rob,

I would say get a low profile one to get the car started then have a 3 ton for getting it up there.

I have a 4 ton and 3 ton jack stands, but I always am leary about shilling under a car without proper jack stands...

Its all craftsman I bought at sears as a package for like $200.00 its awesome. Can life the car SO HIGH its a bit overkill but for the extra $50.00 over the 2 ton set its worth the peace of mind for me.

Maher has a set of built lifts for the front out of wood, you can make a copy of his there awesome!
So easy to get on, and it is perfect hight to get the jack under the middle of the car in the front, its awesome!

Last edited by Datona Jess; 06-07-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 AM
MikeNT256

08 350z at Tamaroff Nissan, anyone know about it? I sent an e-mail to the dealer asking for more information. Still debating if i'll ever get into a Z in this lifetime lol.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 AM
skingy

seems like a pretty good price. it's not exactly low miles, and it's just an enthusiast... but it's my favorite color. do it! lol
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 AM
MikeNT256

The website said it's only got 6700 miles? That's not bad!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 AM
skingy

oh - i thought it said over 20,000... that's great then!

edit: they have a pair of '08 enthusiast's... i was looking at the other one.

Last edited by skingy; 06-07-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 AM
MikeNT256

Oh, whoops!

Well either way, I may go look at them on Wednesday.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Datona Jess

Mike
good luck, break that Z cherry already
You've been grazing in here for long enough....
Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
MikeNT256

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
Mike
good luck, break that Z cherry already
You've been grazing in here for long enough....
No joke man, been a lurker for long enough! For a while there, I thought about just finding a used 03 and quickly paying it off so I could pick up a second vehicle, but priority keeps interrupting lol.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM
scotsz

hey what's everybody using for floor jacks / jack stands? My roommate moved out and took all his stuff so now I have to buy my own.

Last week I bought the harbor freight floor jack and jack stands. But ended up returning the jack stands because they felt too cheap for me.

Then I went to Sears to buy jack stands, they only had 2 1/4 ton ones or high lift 3 ton ones. I bought the high lift 3 ton ones but the minimum height is 13.5 in, and the max height of my floor jack is 14 in. So I just returned the those as well.....and I don't want to get the 2 1/4 ton ones cuz the attachment is completely flat, and I don't want to bend my pinchwelds.

Now I'm thinking I also want to return the small harbor freight floor jack and pony up and get a good craftsman floor jack.

I did buy my jack and stands from harbor freight. Got the low profile jack and it fits right under the skirts. I just lift one corner at a time and lower it onto 3 ton stands. It is a little nerve racking especially when you go to the low side, but you just have to take your time

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3