Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Phreakdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyjohn
hey do you guys know anywhere that can heat wrap parts? i want to heat wrap my gas line
Why? Are you having issues?

Just buy it online and do it yourself. It will be a silverish wrap with white inner fiberglass mat innerliner. Wrap it around the line and use bare wire to tie it to the fuel line. You shouldn't need to remove anything to install.

While you are at it, wrap the brake lines coming down the driver's side near the downpipe.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
quinnry2

Hey guys it has been awhile but I have been busy with my final exams and moving back home. I got my fenders rolled and an alignment for $300 (including the install of rear camber arms and toe bolts). I am happy with the results but am thinking that I want a spacer in the back. My back wheels are 9.5 in. wide, +20 with 285 tires. I am thinking a 10mm to get it flush, what do you guys think?

Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 PM
tommyjohn

no nothing is wrong its just that my friend has had headers on his z for acouple years and the heat from it caused the gas line to burst so I just want to prevent future things to happen by taking care of a potential problem
Old 05-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Phreakdout

Quinnry or Tommy, Either of you considering going down for ZdayZ this week?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 PM
quinnry2

I want to but I got a call from the HR laddie from work and I started my job a month early, I would love to go but will not be able to get this Thursday/Friday off as today was my first day in the office.

If anyone is looking to meet up on any other weekends let me know.

also...I ended up getting a 10mm for the rear and got it on yesterday, looks good.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like I got another oil consuming engine. This is engine #2.. Down 7mm on the dipstick in 1600 miles. Doesn't qualify for failing (by nissan's standards).. but still sucks ***. That's about 1/3 quart. I'm guessing it's just going to get worse from here.

So.. do I build the engine and hope that fixes it? Or sell it and get a used '08? Not sure how much an engine build will be - or if it will even fix the oil consumption. but the jump to an 08 will be about $10k (and no Lemans Sunset.... )

I don't know why I still love this car... it's being really pissy to me.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:09 PM
rwm10

Originally Posted by thekinn
Looks like I got another oil consuming engine. This is engine #2.. Down 7mm on the dipstick in 1600 miles. Doesn't qualify for failing (by nissan's standards).. but still sucks ***. That's about 1/3 quart. I'm guessing it's just going to get worse from here.

So.. do I build the engine and hope that fixes it? Or sell it and get a used '08? Not sure how much an engine build will be - or if it will even fix the oil consumption. but the jump to an 08 will be about $10k (and no Lemans Sunset.... )

I don't know why I still love this car... it's being really pissy to me.
What oil are you running?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Phreakdout

Have you pressure tested each cylinder? Are the plugs oil fouled? If both are fine, put some oil in the engine and be happy. You don't know oil consumption till you own an RX-8. I'm putting oil in my wife's car every few weeks. (This is normal)
Old 05-18-2010, 05:33 PM
lbk16

There is a nice black 2008 Grand Touring (w/orange leather seats and nav) for sale in the classifieds. It has 8400 miles. The guy wants $22k. I was really, really tempted. You should check it out. You should be able to get $18k for your car - that's only a $4k difference.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 PM
rwm10

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Have you pressure tested each cylinder? Are the plugs oil fouled? If both are fine, put some oil in the engine and be happy. You don't know oil consumption till you own an RX-8. I'm putting oil in my wife's car every few weeks. (This is normal)
+ 1 on the compression check.

How did you drive during the 1600 miles? Stop and go traffic, track days? I'm just curious.

Every car I have owned has always burned a bit of oil. So as Phreakdout said, if all checks out, add some oil and enjoy.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:21 PM
h8bumps

^ +1

Pretty much every car I've ever owned has consumed extra oil. My Z was always down a quart or two every time I changed the oil, but I'm pretty sure it was only because I beat the crap out of it. 1/3 quart in 1600 miles is nothing!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:37 AM
Datona Jess

Steve, you drive the $hit out of that thing....

It IS going to consume oil, thats what its supposed to do under those high heat events...
Jeesh man after EVERY track day I always change the oil..and will be a bit low.

EVERY Z I have had has consumed oil...then again everyone knows my driving style.
I always have to add or get an oil change sooner then expected...

Jeesh my 06 after the 24 passes at Milan I was down almost 1/4 a quart man.....(little less)
I had gotten the oil changed like a month before....

If you DON'T want that to happen, get an engine oil cooler...
My Camaro has one and it seriously pays for itself in oil..
Then again that thing EATS EVERYTHING

P.S that is a great deal for that 08..HR MOTOR FTMFW
Miss my white one...

Last edited by Datona Jess; 05-19-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:56 AM
thekinn

I have ~15000miles on this engine. I broke it in nice and easy - and it hasn't consumed oil until now. These 1600 miles have been a mix of city, highway, some rushhour stop and go, and some leadfoot action.

Previously, I used Penzoil Platinum 5w-30 w/ Mobil 1 filter. City/Highway/Track Days.. NO oil consumption. I do change the oil after track days.

For a couple reasons I stocked up on Castrol Edge 5w-30 w/ K&N filter. Now consumption.. Reasons for switching are #1 It was on sale. #2 Heard good things about the oil. #3 I'm shearing down the Penzoil and wanted to try something else to get better protection.

I suppose I need to switch back and see what happens..

Good news is - my oil catch can is working. :P Thanks for the positive replies everyone. I'm not ready to drop Veronica just yet.. just contemplating my options if she decides to take a big s4!t on me.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 AM
ivansz

you should try the new pennzoil ultra synthetic. my engine is running smoother with this oil.i was using mobile 1 and i can tell the diffs. you sould give it a try.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 AM
sig11

I think I'm going to give redline a try when I do my next change... Maybe an aftermarket filter too. :P
Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 AM
skingy

not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but for mobile 1 users: costco sells cases (6 qts/case) and has a pretty decent price, and has coupons a couple times a year off each case. i don't remember prices, but i think this current coupon is something like $12 off a case? i usually pick 2 cases up with each coupon and it lasts me until the next coupon.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by skingy
not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but for mobile 1 users: costco sells cases (6 qts/case) and has a pretty decent price, and has coupons a couple times a year off each case. i don't remember prices, but i think this current coupon is something like $12 off a case? i usually pick 2 cases up with each coupon and it lasts me until the next coupon.
That would be the "second best price". I didn't know Costco did coupons on the oil case may be I overlooked the coupon book. In any case, Advanced Auto Parts has the best deals when it comes to mobil one as they do 5 qts Mobile One oil + Mobile One oil filter (normally 13.99) for $29.99.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:33 AM
thekinn

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
I forgot to address your questions Brian.. No, I have not done a pressure test. I assumed this is the general 2006 Rev-Up oil consumption defect. They never did release a specific cause for this.. maybe rings, maybe some valve blow-by that I don't fully understand... who knows..

I have replaced the plugs recently (troubleshooting a different issue - strange exhaust sound at a particular RPM).. Anyways - the old plugs looks great. I still have them..
Old 05-19-2010, 11:43 AM
skingy

Originally Posted by mekatoka
That would be the "second best price". I didn't know Costco did coupons on the oil case may be I overlooked the coupon book. In any case, Advanced Auto Parts has the best deals when it comes to mobil one as they do 5 qts Mobile One oil + Mobile One oil filter (normally 13.99) for $29.99.
costco still works out to be cheaper. it's normally $30.89/case (6 quarts), but the current coupon is $9 off a case. that's $21.89 a case, and if you use stock nissan filters like me, those are only $6. and with costco's cases, every 5 cases is 6 oil changes.

works out to $24.25 each time i change my oil.

Last edited by skingy; 05-19-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:55 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by skingy
...works out to $24.25 each time i change my oil.

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3