Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

2010 MI-350Z Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM
mekatoka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sig11
Gingerman sounds like fun, but it is so far out. :P The really hard part about it is that Monday morning is my weekly conference call for work... I'll think hard about it after my first run at Waterford.
Grattan and Gingerman are alot more fun in that order as they are much more open than Waterford. You should atleast go to all three tracks (incl Waterford) at least once this year. Waterford is an acquired taste, once you get familiar with it's fun in it's own way.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 AM
AznSky

Originally Posted by sektor 11
I'm a little out of my area here but looks like alot of track guys posting with NASA. I'll be at Putnam and both Mid Ohio times this summer. Hope to meet some of you!
Good stuff, I will be at Mid-Ohio for the July event. Possibly the August too, depending on if I find another new track to go to. A few of my co-workers are going to the putnam one in a couple weeks, but I'm just gonna stay local that weekend.

I plan on going to Grattan for a 2-day event with BMWCCA in September.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Boy
Anyone interested in going to Gingerman on June 7th? It will be the first weekend open with the new track layout. We should be at the top of 4th on the back straight now. I am heading out with my dad. It will be his first time at the track. I will already be 3/4 the way there as I will be at grattan with the bike on the 5th and 6th.
Assuming all goes well at Waterford in a couple weeks, this 6/7 event sounds good. I have some vacation time to burn before 6/30.

To each their own on the opinion of tracks.. I've grown to really enjoy Waterford.. especially due to it's close proximity. I don't mind heading out to the other tracks when I can afford to do it comfortably (ie - stay the night either before or after in a comfortable hotel).
Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Jonny Boy

Originally Posted by AznSky
Good stuff, I will be at Mid-Ohio for the July event. Possibly the August too, depending on if I find another new track to go to. A few of my co-workers are going to the putnam one in a couple weeks, but I'm just gonna stay local that weekend.

I plan on going to Grattan for a 2-day event with BMWCCA in September.
What two day event is this at grattan??? How much and what are the dates? Have any links?

I am really looking forward to gingerman. I am about as far east as you can go without being in the water, and its just over 3 hours to Gingerman from my house. Grattan is a little over 2.5 hours.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
mekatoka

What two day event is this at grattan??? How much and what are the dates? Have any links?
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...xR0FLWVE&hl=en

That's the link to the document that Rob created, it's in the first post of this thread
Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 AM
Jonny Boy

I have paid for the June 7th event at Gingerman. Both my dad and I will be going.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 AM
mekatoka

I have paid for the June 7th event at Gingerman. Both my dad and I will be going.
Looks like you will be having loads of fun, 3 track days in a row - 2 on Gixxer and 1 with Z
Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Jonny Boy

Originally Posted by mekatoka
Looks like you will be having loads of fun, 3 track days in a row - 2 on Gixxer and 1 with Z
Yep! Actually I will be doing two with the bike at grattan on the 5/6th, the going to gingerman on the 7th with the Z, then back to gingerman with the bike on the 12/13th. I dont know if I can have a better week than that, but I garuntee you I will be completely exhausted! You should come out to one of the weekends with your bike!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 AM
mekatoka

I am planning to attend one of the track days either on 5th or 6th. I won't be doing the track day in Z on Monday.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:25 AM
mekatoka

Default WOOT!

Now we have 6, yes SIX! Z's at the 5/13 SEMPCA HPDE, we can have our own little area I have added IL to the spreadsheet as well.

Also if you haven't noticed yet there is going to be a GT-R at the track, so that's cool. I have seen GT-R only once in Dick-Scott on the sales floor. Hope the guy can drive, it will be fun to watch.

Brian, AJ .... you guys should atleast sop by the track, it will be a good day to hang out.

Last edited by mekatoka; 05-05-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:06 AM
thekinn

Awesome. Can't wait to see the GT-R perform at Waterford.. sweet. Might have to pick up 55-200mm lens to snap some pics.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 AM
mekatoka

If you are buying the lens just for the event then I can lend you my 70-200 F4L, if you have a Canon. Alternatively you can also use my 50D to shoot pictures.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM
AznSky

paranoid about my brakes............definitely gonna take it easy my first session to make sure everything's working correctly............driving me crazy.........

Especially since I have to drive 10 hrs to atlanta 2 days later......
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
mekatoka

What? Why? ... you just changed everything. You'll be fine. Besides you are going for an inspection on Saturday, he'll let you know if something's wrong.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 AM
thekinn

paranoid about my brakes............definitely gonna take it easy my first session to make sure everything's working correctly............driving me crazy.........

Especially since I have to drive 10 hrs to atlanta 2 days later......
I know what you mean Rob... I'm going to do the track walk in the morning as a refresher to note the run-off (kitty litter) areas in the event of an emergency.

Thanks for the offer Deepu. I need a new lens anyways - just an excuse to finally pull the trigger on it.

Last edited by thekinn; 05-05-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:07 AM
AznSky

yeah well first it was me thinking I cooked the rotors/pads when bedding....

Mow it's me thinking I'm leaking fluid from my bleeder screws. So I went and checked how tight they were, and I *think* I managed to turn one even more (don't think I stripped/broke it). But that also freaked me into thinking if I did damage to the bleeder screw.... cuz afterwards I read the screw should just be snug.

Still, I checked pedal feel and it's firm, no sinking to the floor which means no leaks.

But everytime I put my finger on the screw I get some fluid.....

All this going through my head.....I'll have a better feeling after the track day goes smoothly with no incident. Roar! I'm wayyy too paranoid......

Last edited by AznSky; 05-05-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 AM
mekatoka

Now you got me worried to attempt an install of the SS lines. I wonder if I should get this done at the shop.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:11 PM
saysangil

just went to gilson motorsports to signup and get inspected.

endup having to change breakpad and fluid(which I found out that

I had 4% of water in my fluid lol)

I decided to try to do it by myself lol

thinking of changing my pads to Hawk HP plus race brake pad
Old 05-05-2010, 07:22 PM
mekatoka

IL, nice job man. I was going to send you PM with the info to get your car inspected and all but you are two steps ahead

Do you have the helmet for the event? Make sure to get to the track by 8 AM. Since it's your first time you'd want to leave some extra time. My first day I was running around trying to get things done so that I can walk the track. Luckily, Steve was there then and he helped me through a lot of the things.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 AM
thekinn

Still, I checked pedal feel and it's firm, no sinking to the floor which means no leaks.

But everytime I put my finger on the screw I get some fluid.....
Correct. You should just be able to snug up the bleeder. My rebuilt-Brembos, and replacement bleeder screws were definately not 'normal'.

Where are you getting fluid? in the cap, around the threads, or the bleeder hole (where fluid is supposed to drain when you loosen them)?

Sorry if my story freaked you out.. I was probably just being overly cautious since it was my first time going through a major brake replacement job with rebuilt calipers... Chances are that there was never a problem with my bleeders - and it was just inexperience and residual fluid in the bleeder seeping out after the fact.

Originally Posted by saysangil
thinking of changing my pads to Hawk HP plus race brake pad
* I have not run with HP Plus pads before. From what I've read they should be better than stock (for wear/longevity). Try to go through a bed-in cycle before the event. There are better track pads out there (from what I've read) but they should be fine for a first timer. - I ran my stock pads on non-brembo calipers my first track day and survived.

Last edited by thekinn; 05-06-2010 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 MI-350Z Track Days