Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

king windward nissan...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default king windward nissan...

so I've been taking my Z to king windward nissan for that last few visits. this is partly based on recommendations, mostly based on my work being in kaneohe right now. anyhow, I've come to the conclusion that although their service reps are good (much better than new city), some of their techs are either idiots or poorly trained.

the first time I brought my Z in my service tech was a lady named gayle. she was nice and all and I made her job easy by bringing in a copy of all the TSB's I wanted addressed prior to my basic warranty expiring. she took all the info and aside from not being given a loaner (supposedly their dealer policy unless you bought your nissan from them) I was thusfar happy. they completed a few of the TSB's and told me that the rest of the parts were on order. great I thought. a few days later however when I actually had a passenger in my car, she noticed that my tweeter pod was discolored. it looked like someone jizzed all over it, however the stain wouldn't come off, even with soap and water. also the passenger side interior door handle that you use to pull the door closed was broken, the bottom was just hanging there. now I know that I didn't stain the pod or break the door handle because they looked and worked perfectly before I dropped it off. I've never touched the interior of my car with anything other than a microfiber towel and aerospace 303 and my gfriend used that door handle the night before I brought my car in for service. however one of the TSB's that king WWN performed was "lubbing" the window channel on the passenger window, so I knew they took apart my door.

within a week king windward called me to let me know that my parts were in which I thought was great since they came so fast. when I brought my car in I mentioned the door issues and they ordered replacement parts, however they haven't admitted any fault regarding it nor have they said if they are going to pay for it. I guess I'll have to wait and see. on this second visit they did the TSB to resolve the rear axle clicking issue and now I've got this blackish (what I assume is differential oil) leaking from the axle area onto my exhaust and its pretty heavy. I also had the service manager, Frank, take me out for a spin in my Z because coincidentaly I had just developed the infamous 3rd gear grind. but of course he couldn't get the car to replicate the problem because the tranny was already warmed up. I told them it only does it when the tranny is cold, but they didn't seem to want to hold onto my car to find out. but frank did say I needed a new pressure plate so they added that to my order list. frank also mentioned that they haven't had any issues with the Z tranny, however I found it really odd that he wanted to drive my Z himself and not have a tech drive it first. maybe I should show him the "those who have had they're tranny replaced" post.

so last week they called to tell me my parts are in. this time it took about 1 month to get them in. I took my car in today and talked to a service advisor named paul. he said if they have to keep my car overnight, they'd give me a loaner. which was really surprising since they had been so adamant about not being able to provide me with one before. maybe its just a personal policy anyhow paul calls me later in the day to tell me that they will have to keep the car overnight because they also have to replace me clutch. now thusfar they haven't said if they are covering this under warranty or not, but if they try to stiff me with the bill I'll flip my fricken lid. I seriously doubt the clutch and pressure plate will fix the trans issue and I don't want to get stuck dealing with this problem over and over again. I wish they would just replace the thing...

anyhow sorry for the rant, I guess I'll just have to see how it goes...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:52 PM
fdao

Best of Luck with everything. Hopefully everything works out in the end. My experience with Tony was positive for the most part, except when they tried to do the tire warranty. They forgot to order the tires for 2 months, and then scrape the Rays Track Wheels by using air compressor to loosen/tighten the lugs
Old 03-02-2006, 11:28 PM
punish_her

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havnt had any issues with TSB. Or at least I dont think I do... The only problems I've had with my car were induced by myself and a foot. An odd pop every once and a while up front but thats it. No feathering, no grind, no nothing. Guess I'm trouble enough for my self .

Good luck on everything with the car man. stick it to the man!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:32 PM
showstoppertk

thanks guys. it was kinda funny too because when I brought it in today they asked if I wanted them to do the safety check since it was expiring this month. I said sure, but when I asked them about it when I picked it up they said they couldn't do it because I had aftermarket springs (tein s-techs). they told me that I would need recon before they would give me a safety check. so I asked them why they sell and install nismo suspensions on their new cars and then stick a safety check sticker on those. they didn't have an answer for that one.

I mean I know the rules and I don't mind that they couldn't do it. hell I didn't even ask for it, but don't give me some bullsh!t answer.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Aloha350z

I can't vouch for this one, but...

It's been rumored that King Windward Nissan's Service dept. is not equipped to do all service jobs. I've heard that they will send your car out to another shop to get the job done because they don't have the equipment to do it.

But...once they take your car out to the service dept., you can't see any of the things they are doing to your Z at any of our dealers here.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:05 AM
dsmal

The old king windward sends your to sears at WWM to replace tires...no big deal, since sears did a decent job. King's old shop wasnt very well equipped. Gayle is nice, I like dropping my car off to her. Frank was cool too, but not as friendly.

They couldnt replicate my trany grind either, but I havent ground 3rd in a while either (strange).

The parts staff is R-E-T-A-R-D-E-D I asked for touchup paint, QX1, and they said none existed, check the car with salesman, it says QX1. Parts guy denies the availablilty of QX1. And got schooled about touchup pens too.

Techs are pretty cut throat. Flate rate...They get paid book hours...so if the manual says a job takes 8hrs to complete, they get paid that...regardless of how long it takes to complete...great incentive to cheat. My friend works at a dealer...honda...the horror stories...incredible how lazy/corrupt people are.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:45 AM
showstoppertk

yeah most techs that work for dealers are union so they actually get paid a lot. enough so that I've heard a lot about upper management wanting to just can the lot of them and oursource the servicing. oh well, its not really my end of the business.

anyhow gayle does seem nice, but if that paul guy is willing to give me a loaner whenever they need my car overnight I'm going to him. as for the tranny issue I'm tired of feeling like I have to baby the thing for the first 15 min everytime I start it up because I'm worried about the grind. I figure if they can't/won't take the time to figure out the real issue or at least test it when its cold then I'll grind that tranny to **** and then have it towed to them.

its kinda funny about that touch up paint thing though. I "special ordered" one for LS at new city nissan, but I never got a call that it came in (I really hate new city). then I ordered one via peformance nissan and it exploded during the airplane ride. so I'm stuck with this partially cracked bottle of touch up paint, but I taped it up and it still works ok.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:19 AM
dsmal

Yeah, that sucks about the loaner. Did you get the sentras or altima?

BTW, my touch up paint sucks, it looks more silver than white. I should practice using the paint gun again some day.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:50 AM
showstoppertk

I got a sentra. I don't mind it, but its so weird being in that little POS. it makes me really appreciate my Z.

yeah my touch up paint sucks as well as far as matching. it looks about 3 shades lighter than my car. I guess you don't have a clear bra either huh? at least the chips probably don't show up as much on white right?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:47 PM
showstoppertk

good news, after they installed the new clutch and flywheel they took it for a road test and found out I wasn't full of crap when I said it grinded. so they said they're getting approval to replace my trans. hurray! and I told the service guy (oh yeah his name is fred not paul) I wanted to make sure they put in the 009 trans. so they gave me my car back and supposedly they're going to call me on monday to let me know whats up. the new clutch and flywheel feel pretty good. its definately a lot softer than the old one and it's taking some getting used to. the engagement is very abrupt. I'm just happy I'm getting the damn trans replaced.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:45 PM
showstoppertk

so it looks like I'm getting the 008 trans. I guess I didn't have much say in which version I get since its free. but I'm going to work this trans (as much as thats possible considering how little "hard driving" I do) and if it starts grinding again and they have to replace it I'm going to be pissed. on a side note they did get the thing pretty quick. they ordered it on monday and its already here, I'm assuming they had it somewhere on oahu already. also since they screwed up in assuming it was my pressure plate or clutch that was messed up initially, I guess I don't have to pay for that either. so new trans, clutch and pressue plate. sounds good to me and now I can put off changing the trans fluid which I was just about to do.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:50 PM
punish_her

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
yeah most techs that work for dealers are union so they actually get paid a lot. enough so that I've heard a lot about upper management wanting to just can the lot of them and oursource the servicing. oh well, its not really my end of the business.

anyhow gayle does seem nice, but if that paul guy is willing to give me a loaner whenever they need my car overnight I'm going to him. as for the tranny issue I'm tired of feeling like I have to baby the thing for the first 15 min everytime I start it up because I'm worried about the grind. I figure if they can't/won't take the time to figure out the real issue or at least test it when its cold then I'll grind that tranny to **** and then have it towed to them.

its kinda funny about that touch up paint thing though. I "special ordered" one for LS at new city nissan, but I never got a call that it came in (I really hate new city). then I ordered one via peformance nissan and it exploded during the airplane ride. so I'm stuck with this partially cracked bottle of touch up paint, but I taped it up and it still works ok.

My touch-up paint is like a silvery blue color. No matchy painty.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:16 PM
dsmal

indeed, my pearl white touchup paint is a metallic silver...

bleh
Old 03-12-2006, 02:14 PM
636Racer

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
I got a sentra. I don't mind it, but its so weird being in that little POS.
lol +1 for infiniti

too bad we dont get to use the M cars...that would really make me lose interest in the G35
Old 03-28-2006, 05:36 PM
showstoppertk

so I got my Z back. the new trans is ok. its not "buttery" or S2000 smooth. however the grind is gone and the new clutch and pressure plate are nice and light. they also replaced some part of the rear "suspension member" (whatever thats supposed to be) b/c they messed up something when they were doing the rear axle clicking TSB. why is it I alway feel like they're screwed something new up everytime I get my car back? whatevers, I've got her back now and she seems good to go.

they also decided they would do the fuel hose recall at the same time. they didn't even ask me about it, nor did they list anything on my invoice other than "performed recall RO505". so I guess I didn't get much of a choice in that matter either.

bottom line, I like the service advisors at king windward. they're nice, and fairly helpful but all they really do is take your description of what went wrong and tell the techs. they don't really know that much about your specific car. when I was picking up my car, gayle, told me she just bought an 06 Z, however she had no idea what model Z she bought. yikes.