Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

Beginner DSLR - good deal for Rebel XT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beginner DSLR - good deal for Rebel XT?

http://www.americantv.com/itemDetail...emCd=145773998

I'm looking to take some nicer photos of the Z - night shots, long exposure, HDR, etc. I don't want to spend too much, but $400 seems pretty good for an entry level DSLR. Would this be a good route for my first non-point and shoot? I don't plan on getting too into photography since the Z is enough of a money waster, so would I be better off spending $250 on a camera w/ built in lens that still has a lot of the manual settings?

Any info would be appreciated - thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM
MR_X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't plan on getting to much into photography, I would suggest a Canon S5 IS. It is a point and shoot but it has some nice features that are common in DSLRs. It will allow you to do all the types of picture you want to do. You also have the ability to add wide angle and telephoto lenses. Then practice practice practice.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15207
Old 12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
dchi_t

i'm thinking about selling my Canon Rebel XT. its an 8mp SLR camera body (no lens). $300obo? i've had it for 2 years. =)
Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 PM
TheOtherRob

Ive been thinking of selling my Nikon D50 also. If your interested PM me.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:36 PM
AUtigers350z

Originally Posted by MR_X
If you don't plan on getting to much into photography, I would suggest a Canon S5 IS. It is a point and shoot but it has some nice features that are common in DSLRs. It will allow you to do all the types of picture you want to do. You also have the ability to add wide angle and telephoto lenses. Then practice practice practice.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15207
Agreed. Unless you think there's a remote chance you might actually get hooked on photography I bought my Nikon D40 thinking I would just use it here and there. Let me tell you.. photography can be just as addicting as modding a car
Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM
stanleylee

i think, Dslr are much better then Point and Shot camera,
well at least it would let you shot some "Creative" photo,
for me i think point and shot camera are more for ever day photo.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 PM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by AUtigers350z
Let me tell you.. photography can be just as addicting as modding a car
Ha, that's what I'm afraid of. I think I would really get into it. I would probably be better off getting a camera that I can't "mod", since I have a bunch of things I still want to buy for the Z.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:53 PM
tware

hmmm, I just sold my XTi. I also bought a Sigma 24-200 IS lens (forgot the exact one but it was like $500+). Then I started lusting after some other lenses. Everybody says this and it's easy to dismiss, but the body is somewhat inconsequential and probably the least of your budget concerns. It seems that most real serious photogs (just at the obsessed hobby level) have at least 2x or 3x, sometimes 4x more invested in glass. I just couldnt commit to the hobby on that level and felt like I wasnt able to do some things I wanted with it.

Plus I found carrying/lugging around a DSLR wasnt for me. And people dont react well to spontaneous/candid shots with a DSLR.

Last month I picked up a canon G10 for $375. And they were even a few bucks cheaper last week. And there are some G9s floating around at the $300 mark (maybe even your 250 mark). You can use 2x tele and wide lens (which dont come close to DSLR quality) so you have alittle flexibility. But, you will have a great lens with all the manual controls you need to learn and understand all the aspects of photography.

The ISO/exp controls on the G10 are just so easy to use. And it really encourages you you to learn more. It also has a Neutral Density filter built in.. and a remote jack, and a flash shoe. And does bracketing for HDR. Its got a lot going for it. I'm loving mine.

another option (assuming you set your expectations accordingly), is an inexpensive last gen Digic II Canon running CHDK firmware. Seriously, its awesome. I have a A710 IS, maybe 150 street value, that with CHDK running will do some amazing things. Bracketing, super long exposure... motion detection, timelapse, lightning triggered shooting, RAW, expanded ISO settings.. and so much more.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

see the right side for cams supported. It doesnt actually alter the camera in anyway, just cycle the power and its back to canon firmware

The S5 IS is mentioned above. thats a great P&S cam if the size doesnt bother you. Plus, I *think* CHDK is running on it. its not running on the G10 yet.. but is running on the G9