Notices

Injected Performance brings you HALTECH PLATINUM PNP STANDALONE

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:30 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

No that's for onboard data logging. When we were in the car I just did a PC datalog for everything that was being displayed on the screen. You just add more gauges to the screen and click the data manager tab at the bottom and tick the box (it is ticked by default) that indicates to log everything on the screen.

I don't know why your car keeps misfiring at certain points, even after you changed plugs. The AFR is ok. The stock ECU is controling timing with no load. Hmmm... I know we discussed the cams and short downpipes and possible reversion but under slight load that shouldn't be an issue.

It could be that injectors are wired out of order. You did the wire tuck - are you sure you've got the right plugs on the right injectors (I know your coils are ok or it wouldn't idle so nicely).
Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Under what conditions are you misfiring?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 PM
rcdash

Mostly just high vacuum while the car sits and you raise rpms above 2500 or so. Also when driving, the AFR will transiently dip to 11, 10 etc but I don't think it happens as frequently while driving or as badly but it still occurs. The fuel tables I think are ok. I sat in the car watching afr for various cells and it would be spot on one second then 2 pts too rich the next. Str8dum1 has base maps from my car I think and he's due to be tuned by Sharif soon. Trying to make the car driveable enough to get down there 6 hrs and put some miles on the engine. My theory was his BC2 cams in conjunction with very short downpipe dumps (no exhaust!) is causing some issues at high vacuum but that doesn't seem that likely under light load to still cause trouble. I have no experience with cars with no exhausts like that.

He's breaking in the engine so rev limiter is set to 5000 and overboost fuel cut is set at 1 psi. This is all happening under vacuum with rpms above 2k. Just suddenly the car will get diarrhea and fart out a bunch of gas. (sorry str8dum, but that's what it sounds like!)

Last edited by rcdash; 03-09-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

What do the afr's do when you slooowly sweep through the rpms at no load?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 PM
rcdash

They hover around 14.7 until the car starts misfiring. Then they dip transienty to 10-12. Then might be ok for 15 secs, then dip again, etc. It doesn't happen at idle. Only above 2k rpms as I recall. Fuel pressure I think was constant. I know he has a gauge in there but I didn't actually look at it. All gauges I think read ok (oil p, fuel p, temps etc) or he would've said something.

By the way closed loop feedback is OFF. It was causing all sorts of headaches with the misfiring going on. To top it off I think the wideband is reading outside air (the distance from wideband to open air is likely no more than a foot!). I told str8dum1 he might not be able to turn closed loop feedback on until he gets some longer pipes on there.

I wonder if the stock ECU, which is controlling timing (copy through set for low loads) is screwed up with the AFRs reading lean because of the short dump to open air? Maybe str8dum1 should eliminate all the copy through cells? Doesn't hurt to try - might start idle hunting, but no biggie.

Now that I recall I was watching the stock ECU timing and it was reading 30-40 degrees advanced at high vacuum when the misfiring was occuring. Not sure if that's the cause... I have copy through for high vacuum on my car but I have an exhaust!

Last edited by rcdash; 03-10-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:04 AM
350zzzgunnar

Hal, do you got any suggestions for where to supply power/ground/etc to the harness? I got my engine build almost ready and soon will tune in the engine dyno shooting for high power
Old 03-10-2010, 03:06 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

^If you are using the stock engine harness you can supply power/ground/etc through the factory harness. Those pins are available in the FSM. If you are using a custom harness straight to the Haltech, please email me to discuss.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

ECU Manager 1.07.2 now available, but no major 350Z-specific updates beyond a couple of fixes.
http://injectedperformance.com/haltech/
Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Glex25

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
ECU Manager 1.07.2 now available, but no major 350Z-specific updates beyond a couple of fixes.
http://injectedperformance.com/haltech/
Does this include the fix about not being able to read intake temps lower than 30?

Hope they didn't mess up the G35 channels again

Any insight on the couple of fixes they did?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 AM
rcdash

No firmware update - only changes to ECU mgr for us and this is supposed to include the temp fix.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Glex25

Originally Posted by rcdash
No firmware update - only changes to ECU mgr for us and this is supposed to include the temp fix.
^ Thanks

I see Hal is now including a change log on the site so that is always a good thing so questions like these are answered
Old 03-10-2010, 04:23 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hal, is it possible to tell if you have a bad crank or cam position sensor from any of the Haltech logs?

Have you ever experienced random misfire from a bad cam sensor?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Hal, is it possible to tell if you have a bad crank or cam position sensor from any of the Haltech logs?

Have you ever experienced random misfire from a bad cam sensor?
There is a channel named "Miss Counter". This is a running total of misses since rpm was detected. Miss counter always starts at 0 and increases each time there is a cam/crank sync error. You should not be alarmed if it reads 0, 1, or 2 after starting - but it should remain at that number once started. If it continues to climb after starting then there is an issue with the cam or crank signal (could be sensors, wiring, etc). If miss counter is increasing, it is easiest to put a scope on the cam and crank wires to identify where the problem is.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 PM
str8dum1

weird, my miss counter goes up and down. it will show 2 and then go down to 1 and then 0 by the end of the log.

have you seen ign angle go this crazy before? I looked at one of RCdash's logs and he has maybe 3 peaks where the ign angle goes to red 100+++
Old 03-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Ignition angle will report some weird numbers on occasion during while operating in Copy-Through ignition. This does not reflect what is actually being fired, but rather the front end interpretation of the copied-through value.

If your miss counter really is going up and down during one engine running cycle... that is a new one by me. Can you email me a log showing this?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 PM
str8dum1

email sent. Very odd about the miss counter. It definitely wasnt catching all the misses I dont think

If i had actual ignition values in my table, I wont see those funny ign angles? I'll try that next as my original start map didnt use copy thru.

also is there a list showing what each analog voltage refers to? I know 6 and 8 are the widebands. What are the other 8 channels?

Ignition angle will report some weird numbers on occasion during while operating in Copy-Through ignition. This does not reflect what is actually being fired, but rather the front end interpretation of the copied-through value.

If your miss counter really is going up and down during one engine running cycle... that is a new one by me. Can you email me a log showing this?

Last edited by str8dum1; 03-10-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

str8dum1, received your email and reply sent.

There is no list for the raw voltage channels because everything necessary comes through as other channels. For example, tps and app.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 AM
str8dum1

So if the car is obviously missing but the 'Miss counter' isnt changing then is it unlikely the sensors are bad?

In a log I did last night in the garage, whenever it would miss that IGN1 Angle would go all crazy, but no miss counts

There is a channel named "Miss Counter". This is a running total of misses since rpm was detected. Miss counter always starts at 0 and increases each time there is a cam/crank sync error. You should not be alarmed if it reads 0, 1, or 2 after starting - but it should remain at that number once started. If it continues to climb after starting then there is an issue with the cam or crank signal (could be sensors, wiring, etc). If miss counter is increasing, it is easiest to put a scope on the cam and crank wires to identify where the problem is.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by str8dum1
So if the car is obviously missing but the 'Miss counter' isnt changing then is it unlikely the sensors are bad?

In a log I did last night in the garage, whenever it would miss that IGN1 Angle would go all crazy, but no miss counts
Correct - if it is clearly missing and the miss counter is not increasing, then I would start by looking beyond the cam/crank sensors.

Was copythrough ignition timing on when the ign1 angle went crazy? If so, I am not as worried about it (as noted before). Turn copythrough ignition off and verify the results.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:50 AM
str8dum1

I also turned off copy thru and went back to real ign values with no effect on misfire or crazy Ign1 Angles. But Ill recheck all that this week and resend some new logs.

Quick Reply: Injected Performance brings you HALTECH PLATINUM PNP STANDALONE