Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Forged Performance: High Boost Greddy TT with Meth/FCON

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r0mey
yes we were sharif do you have any knowledge on this man?
You guys are right. The 20G upgrades dont provide a whole lot more airflow..about 10% more. IMHO, its an expensive upgrade, and might not be worth it for everyone. Personally, I would suggest sticking with the basic turbos for now...they also tend to last a lot longer than the 20G's.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman

Very nice post. Nice to see you backing the unsleeved motors. IMHO, the extra heat, machine work, cost, and risk of sinking with sleeving this motor just isn't worth it. At least not until we start seeing motors failing because of a compromised cylinder wall
Wow I agree with Zivman on something. I've believed sleeves weren't a necessity for most of these high hp builds for quite a while now. Hopefully soon someone will push them to their limits so we have a good idea of where our limits lie.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
You guys are right. The 20G upgrades dont provide a whole lot more airflow..about 10% more. IMHO, its an expensive upgrade, and might not be worth it for everyone. Personally, I would suggest sticking with the basic turbos for now...they also tend to last a lot longer than the 20G's.
that is what we thought def not worth the upgrade money. I guess the 25G would be the direction to go if you want to upgrade then right?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 AM
MADScientist

Thanks everyone! To to answer everyone's question, YES I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS!!!

This is the power level that I was shooting for when I did this project, and I knew I could get there with pump gas and meth. There only a few meth kits out there that I would trust to do this with and Alky Control is probably the best one avail taking everything into consideration including cost.

I think with a freer flowing turbo and CJM twin pumps we could have broke 700whp on this dyno all on 93oct. But honestly guys, this power is just stupid!!! The difference between 525 and 650 is huge. Basically take every gear and shift it up one for traction issues. I will be happy with this power til at least the end of the summer! LOL

As for the tune... I thought we would need more boost than 18psi to get to 650, but with 18psi that is awesome. Turbos will last much longer not pushing them to the limits all the time. And with the FCon accepting the 5V trigger from the meth kit it is 100% seemless in the transition of the sub map for timing and fuel. This kit is very aggresive on the amount of meth that is being sprayed. Sharif had to pull 23% of the fuel at 15psi that we had before with out meth. We are adding timing, but not sure were we stopped at. I want to say 3 degrees...

We could have gone higher, but the single 255 was getting close to its limits and Sharif likes to tune in a manner that will keep the engine at that power level for longer than a month... And that is the key reason I trust him with my car, I know that when I leave there the setup is going to stay in one piece! Like Sharif said, I do all of my own work, except the tuning... I have owned my own shop before and still do a lot of side jobs to support my habits, and Sharif is the only one that is close to where I live that I would trust tuning the car. I give him crap and try to push him further all the time, but I respect the fact that he will not go further than what is reliable power. A lot to be said there, and that is why I work with him and would consider him a good friend as well!

I am heading to Friday night drags tomorrow to see what kind of trap speeds I can hit, since traction on my street tires will make my E.T.s a joke! Next on the list is a roll cage, fire system, axels, and sticky tires.

If you guys have questions about the tune or kit feel free to PM me for specifics of the setup, since this was the first kit Alky Control did for the Z it was a bit of a custom setup...

Here are some more pics of the install that I took at home... Enjoy!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 AM
MADScientist

A few more pics... Custom oil cooler I did as well... I eliminated the stock oil cooler completely and all of the coolent lines that supported that system. Took a custom sandwich adapter to do it, but I think it turned out pretty good!

Last edited by MADScientist; 07-05-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:55 AM
MIAPLAYA

Its too bad someone doesn't make a TD0X to T3 or T4 adaptor that will fit on the Greddy kit. I know we have talked about that before. It would let you bolt up whatever turbo you want to the Greddy system for more power potential.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Its too bad someone doesn't make a TD0X to T3 or T4 adaptor that will fit on the Greddy kit. I know we have talked about that before. It would let you bolt up whatever turbo you want to the Greddy system for more power potential.
i guess you could also cut and weld a new flange on, but.. 25G's or T67's are also Mitsu Turbo's.. they should make good power too
Old 07-05-2007, 07:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by doug
i guess you could also cut and weld a new flange on, but.. 25G's or T67's are also Mitsu Turbo's.. they should make good power too
Its difficult to do that on a cast manifold. Not that it can't be done but cutting and welding to cast is not something I would do on my car. The 25G compressor would flow well yes but I'm more concerned about the turbine section. I don't think a TD05 or even TD06 is going to flow enough for the amount of power you will be making with 25G compressors.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:00 AM
doug

yummy http://www.hahnracecraft.com/hahn/parts/s25g.htm
Old 07-05-2007, 08:01 AM
doug

Its difficult to do that on a cast manifold. Not that it can't be done but cutting and welding to cast is not something I would do on my car. The 25G compressor would flow well yes but I'm more concerned about the turbine section. I don't think a TD05 or even TD06 is going to flow enough for the amount of power you will be making with 25G compressors.
ahh.. thanks for the info
Old 07-05-2007, 08:10 AM
MIAPLAYA

ahh.. thanks for the info
No worries. Looking at that turbo you linked its a nice unit but the problem is the Greddy kit doesn't use a turbine housing like that. Its actually a bit of a PITA as far as housings go because of the inlet and outlet flanges. So far the best that can be done using the same turbine housing is to upgrade to a TD06. Nothing bigger will fit turbine wise. That's why I was saying if someone made an adaptor to bolt up a standard T3 or T4 turbine flange you could greatly expand the type of turbos that would bolt up and choose something much bigger for the additional necessary flow at the 1,000 HP level people are shooting for. You would unfortunately need to make an adaptor for the inlet pipe and some kind of additional adaptor pipe to bolt up to the Greddy style downpipes/turbine outlet flange pattern. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to fab up but making something strong and reliable enough to stand up to the heat and fit with the limited space is the challenge. I'm sure it would sell well for whoever did it though. Since the Greddy kit is THE twin turbo tuner kit for the Z I'm sure we would see a lot of people buying that plus some upgraded turbos. The Tial 38s are already ideal for making a bit more power then we currently see so at this point the turbine housing is the limiting factor. Years ago Precision made a TD0X turbine housing big enough to fit the largest T3s out at the time but I can't find it online anymore.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I don't think a TD05 or even TD06 is going to flow enough for the amount of power you will be making with 25G compressors.
I agree. No matter how you slice it, you will be spending a lot of money to upgrade to only a marginally better turbo, in terms of airflow. If someone wants big big power, a better option to use a kit that provides that airflow out of the box...such as SFR or the new SP kit coming shortly....and then sell their exisintg Greddy kit.

But any above 600whp is totally nuts on the street. It's a lot of fun, with a nice wide powerband that is hard to beat.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 AM
mforrest100

Nobody really knows the answer to this question, becuase we have yet to see any stock cylinder wall failures at high power levels. The general community is starting to believe the the stock sleeves can take quite a bit more power than previously thought. My personal opinion, is that the limits of the stock sleeves will exceed the limits of the current crop of TT kits on the market at about 600-700whp, but only time will tell. The stock sleeves have some definate cooling advantages as well, particularly for those that road race/track day their cars.
Thanks for the info. Very impressed by your work. When the time is right the sedan will be coming your way.

Mike
Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 AM
MIAPLAYA

I agree. No matter how you slice it, you will be spending a lot of money to upgrade to only a marginally better turbo, in terms of airflow. If someone wants big big power, a better option to use a kit that provides that airflow out of the box...such as SFR or the new SP kit coming shortly....and then sell their exisintg Greddy kit.

But any above 600whp is totally nuts on the street. It's a lot of fun, with a nice wide powerband that is hard to beat.
Oh I agree. Over 600 WHP on the street is excessive. Not that you can't tune for 600 street and have the ability to go for more via multi-maps but I'm with you. The only way the Greddy kit is going to make SFR like numbers is some kind of adaptor. Selling a kit and trying to buy another one is too much of a hassle.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:34 AM
doug

excellent information Gentlemen.. thank you
Old 07-05-2007, 08:37 AM
MIAPLAYA

excellent information Gentlemen.. thank you
Welcome. Too bad I'm not in a position to fab up something for that or have it cast. It would make for a nice upgrade piece to the Greddy. Just don't have the time or tools to do so not to mention needing a car to play with for who know's how long. Maybe a fab shop like SFR could whip something up but I digress.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The only other issue, MIA, is space, and that's where even if you use an adaptor, you probably wont have room for a significantly larger turbocharger. With SFR/SP, turbos are mounted low, and space is much more luxurious down there.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 AM
MIAPLAYA

The only other issue, MIA, is space, and that's where even if you use an adaptor, you probably wont have room for a significantly larger turbocharger. With SFR/SP, turbos are mounted low, and space is much more luxurious down there.
That is very true as well although I wonder if the turbo could be moved down some based on the Greddy manifold design. IIRC the manifold has the turbine inlet flange positioned facing straight down which might be conducive to moving the turbo futher down via the adaptor. Of course it would require that the turbine outlet piece account for the movement of the turbo but it should work either way. The only concern then is ensuring there is adequate gravity return for the oil and if not adding a scavenging pump. I still think it could be done for relatively cheap assuming someone has the time. Even if not you can do a lot with a machined out housing. Like the SFR kit. It uses twin 60-1 HiFi units which is basically the same turbo the Turbonetics kit uses but stuffed into a machined out T04B compressor housing for space reasons. The turbine should fit no problem unless you are going insanely large there and even then you can shoe horn a T4 P trim turbine wheel into an oversized turbine housing like the one used on the Turbonetics kit as well.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Devil Z

Why Stage 1 and not Stage 2 Fuel Return System?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM
copec

The meth is injected into the intake pipe before the TB. The plenum is tapped for the HKS air inlet sensor, as Phunk mentioned.

Joe is running the AAM 3 inch downpipes with dumps. For this power level, you dont HAVE to relocate the wastegates, but you should try running a 3 inch downipe.

They are getting close to their max efficiency range. On my car, we stopped making power after 19.5psi, and on Brent's old engine...about 21psi. After 19psi, each psi increase in boost delivers less and less power. Backpressure becomes an issue as well, through these tiny exhaust housings.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

That is an awesome setup! Great job guys. Meth injection before the turbos can usually up the efficiency of the turbos by 10-15% if you are looking to unlock more power out of those turbos.

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: High Boost Greddy TT with Meth/FCON