Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Forged Performance: High Boost Greddy TT with Meth/FCON

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
You guys are right. The 20G upgrades dont provide a whole lot more airflow..about 10% more. IMHO, its an expensive upgrade, and might not be worth it for everyone. Personally, I would suggest sticking with the basic turbos for now...they also tend to last a lot longer than the 20G's.
LOL... Now i find out about this... HAHAHA... guess we should start looking into upgrades now huh...

Sharif: nice work man... Definitely some amazing #'s and the difference between meth and no-meth is just stunning.. I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Joe: Nice to meet you buddy. You have a beautiful car. I did not realize you did all of the work yourself. Great job. Clean and well done. I know you are happy with the new setup and hopefully 600+ will keep you happy til winter.. LOL

Someone asked if I had 700whp on Sharif's dyno. Nope. We got 666 on his dyno and 723 I think on a local dynojet. BUT.... who knows what the future brings........
Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BamBam
LOL... Now i find out about this... HAHAHA... guess we should start looking into upgrades now huh...

Sharif: nice work man... Definitely some amazing #'s and the difference between meth and no-meth is just stunning.. I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Joe: Nice to meet you buddy. You have a beautiful car. I did not realize you did all of the work yourself. Great job. Clean and well done. I know you are happy with the new setup and hopefully 600+ will keep you happy til winter.. LOL

Someone asked if I had 700whp on Sharif's dyno. Nope. We got 666 on his dyno and 723 I think on a local dynojet. BUT.... who knows what the future brings........
i asked brent and thank you for the info
Old 07-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BamBam
haha...you already knew, and I already have an upgrade path for you. Just waiting for you to pull the trigger.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
haha...you already knew, and I already have an upgrade path for you. Just waiting for you to pull the trigger.
hmm... is this turbo's? or some other form of injection?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Kenk2
Professional

This is indeed very informative, but I was under the impression you use meth for safety ONLY.. Not to tune for it..
Old 07-05-2007, 11:27 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Meth is really nice..It turns 93-94 octane into race gas basically and rather cheaply.It also cools the intake charge and cylinder temps and allows you to run more boost and more timing.. The gain was from the added boost and added timing on a more predictable mixture..We are actually in the process of developing a really nice METH injection kit for the Z, keep an eye out for that..Good work Sharif...
Just cusrious, how much extra timing were you able to run on the meth?
exactly... joe told me that after the dyno pulls, the plenum was still at ambient temp... cool to the touch...
Old 07-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Originally Posted by stormcrow
exactly... joe told me that after the dyno pulls, the plenum was still at ambient temp... cool to the touch...
WOW!! that is unreal! That could totally benefit me here where the outside temps are starting to hit 110 now
Old 07-05-2007, 11:40 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenk2
This is indeed very informative, but I was under the impression you use meth for safety ONLY.. Not to tune for it..

I love the automation with the FCON, making what might be an unpredictable setup into something that is totally reliable! This is a testament to it's superiority over other options. I guess having a decent tuner doesn't hurt!

Good thing I'll never want that much power
Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Kenk2
without extra tuning, these types of high flow meth kits will richen the mixture tremendously, so you do have to tune for them. With the FCON's triggering system, I feel pretty confident with the tune. The only issue I can see, is the potential for a clogged nozzle. This particular kit doesnt have clog detection, so I advised To change out his nozzle every 3 months, just to be 100% safe.

In regards to air inlet temps, not only is the temp ramp up decreased during the dyno pull, the inlet temps return to near ambient within 7-8 seconds. So heat soat is virtually nill.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:18 PM
rcdash

Methanol is a solvent - I would think it highly unlikely that something could end up clogging the nozzle. Thinking ahead is always prudent though! But Kenk2 does bring up a good point... What's the cost/benefit of adding a kit for safety vs. performance - ever recommended at lower HP levels? Or overkill?

edit: quick ? - what is the storage for in the trunk vs. in front of the wheel?

Last edited by rcdash; 07-05-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:49 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by rcdash
Methanol is a solvent - I would think it highly unlikely that something could end up clogging the nozzle. Thinking ahead is always prudent though! But Kenk2 does bring up a good point... What's the cost/benefit of adding a kit for safety vs. performance - ever recommended at lower HP levels? Or overkill?

If i remember correctly it is the water that can cause clogs. It is important to run distilled water in order to help prevent clogs.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:07 PM
r1ch1er1ch

The tank in the back is for the meth and the tank in the front bumper is the coolent overflow tank.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

You are correct, in that clogged nozzles are more for the realm of the 50/50 mix, but the possibility still does exist. Particularly when the methonal system is NOT activated. The nozzle will be exposed to air, contaminants, and other things. This is why some kits offer a clog detection system safety.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:11 PM
booger

The Snow Performance Kit offers a clog detection that opens a BOV when clogged .
Old 07-05-2007, 01:33 PM
rcdash

d*mn, how do you guys know all this ****? lol - thx for the responses. This setup is sooo sick!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:57 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Yep! This set up is sick but its only going to get better.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Yep! This set up is sick but its only going to get better.

Right you are bro! I am not done with this setup yet! Need more fuel and possibaly a turbo upgrade, we will see... I am happy as hell with this setup the way it is now.

I know you are gonna be packing a little some somethin... You better beat my number! lol
Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
failsafe306

Props to the do-it-yourself installers! That's what being a true car guy is all about imo.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by jkenefic
Right you are bro! I am not done with this setup yet! Need more fuel and possibaly a turbo upgrade, we will see... I am happy as hell with this setup the way it is now.

I know you are gonna be packing a little some somethin... You better beat my number! lol
I'll try From what your saying i might be able too.

Good luck tomarrow at the strip, hope to see some 130's for trap speed.

Great job on the install looks very clean.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
bullseye

I know methanol is a solvent. Of course, the VQ35 was probably not engineered with meth injection in mind. Therefore, when using methanol injection, do you need to worry about engine seals and such dissolving from contact with the methanol?

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: High Boost Greddy TT with Meth/FCON