2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Track: How much weight savings is worth it

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 05:38 PM
Mattedg_man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track: How much weight savings is worth it

Hello,

The motor in my 03' recently let go, and I have been mulling over my future with the car. I am going to put another DE in, and since I use the car exclusively for AutoX/track driving I have a lot of options.

Weight reduction has been on my mind the most. With a carbon hatch, driver seat, pass seat removal, and a Ti exhaust, from what I've gathered, it adds up to ~200LB saved, plus the lightweight flywheel I have waiting to go in. (I have the heavy *** heated and power seats for reference).

All that extra together is pretty expensive at around ~4500$ excluding the cost of a new motor. This includes my estimate for shipping so it's a bit of clown math but will do for now.

I'm curious if those who have already gone down this path though the cost was worth it for the weight savings and how noticable it was.

Thanks.

Edit: After doing a bit of math this weight savings would equate to around an effective 15 HP gain, considering the new weight to power figure (not power to weight). IE to get the same weight to power figure I am seeing post weight savings I would have to add 15HP to the car as it is now. That incudes me in it, a half tank of gas. Estimating the car without me in it weights ~3200lbs based on everything I can find (touring trim level).

Last edited by Mattedg_man; 07-28-2024 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 07:55 AM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

It depends on where everything else is at modification wise. If it is truly track only, there is plenty of free stuff to do to remove weight. Washer tank removal, AC/radio removal, interior removal. If you aren't already on high quality dampers and 285+ 200tw tires though then the effort and money is probably better spent elsewhere.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:01 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Every weight savings is worth it.
Old 07-29-2024, 03:21 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Having raced the Z33 is W2W competition for the past 16 years, weight savings can help performance, but not at the cost of safety. For example, I've raced the Z in Touring 1, T2 and T3 specs throughout the race history of this car. In T1, the minimum weight was a ridiculous 2,400#, which could never be reached. My current T3 weight is 3,275#, which is what the car must weigh AFTER each race or qualifying is complete. Yes, the car is fully stripped interior wise and a full six-point rollcage installed. But stripping down the roof, doors or hatch is not allowed under the rules and are written that way to keep costs and complexity down. For a track day Z, those rules do not apply, and I'd suggest weight reduction might be worthwhile AFTER a good roll bar, harness bar, race seat and six-point harness are installed.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:50 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Weight reduction is always good assuming you care about balance a hatch would be a no go for me. Why make the car more front heavy? If you do a hatch and you counter by moving the cooling system and battery to the back then it makes more sense.
Old 07-30-2024, 10:29 AM
Mattedg_man

They car has suspension work done and I am already running 275mm 200tw tires all around
The following users liked this post:
GreyZ (Today)
Old 07-30-2024, 10:38 AM
Mattedg_man

Originally Posted by dkmura
Having raced the Z33 is W2W competition for the past 16 years, weight savings can help performance, but not at the cost of safety. For example, I've raced the Z in Touring 1, T2 and T3 specs throughout the race history of this car. In T1, the minimum weight was a ridiculous 2,400#, which could never be reached. My current T3 weight is 3,275#, which is what the car must weigh AFTER each race or qualifying is complete. Yes, the car is fully stripped interior wise and a full six-point rollcage installed. But stripping down the roof, doors or hatch is not allowed under the rules and are written that way to keep costs and complexity down. For a track day Z, those rules do not apply, and I'd suggest weight reduction might be worthwhile AFTER a good roll bar, harness bar, race seat and six-point harness are installed.
I do not plan on doing any wheel to wheel racing. Im mainly interested in Time Trials and have already been autocrossing the car for a few years. I do not plan on going for extreme weight savings (gutted interior ect) as of yet or replacing items I feel could compromise safety, such as carbon doors without reinforcement. SCCA TT does not require a roll cage for the classing I am looking at and has a ridiculous minimum weight of around 2700LBS for my approximate power to weight so I feel a few hundred pounds off could give me an advantage. Not to mention in Autocross. Somehow I'm still not used to the price tag of all of this

Old 07-30-2024, 10:40 AM
Mattedg_man

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Weight reduction is always good assuming you care about balance a hatch would be a no go for me. Why make the car more front heavy? If you do a hatch and you counter by moving the cooling system and battery to the back then it makes more sense.
Could that really mess the weight balance up that much? I wouldn't assume so. Personally I dont think -50lbs from that area would completely throw off the cars dynamics but I could be wrong
Old 07-30-2024, 11:38 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattedg_man
I do not plan on doing any wheel to wheel racing. Im mainly interested in Time Trials and have already been autocrossing the car for a few years. I do not plan on going for extreme weight savings (gutted interior ect) as of yet or replacing items I feel could compromise safety, such as carbon doors without reinforcement. SCCA TT does not require a roll cage for the classing I am looking at and has a ridiculous minimum weight of around 2700LBS for my approximate power to weight so I feel a few hundred pounds off could give me an advantage. Not to mention in Autocross. Somehow I'm still not used to the price tag of all of this
I used my W2W stats only to provide perspective. And while SCCA TT rules do not mandate roll cages or fire systems, I'd suggest that the speeds are similar. The risks are REAL and a roll bar with a properly installed harness bar, race seat and six-point harness is the minimum I'd want. There are no "few hundred pounds off" in the Z33 platform unless you're willing to strip the car, and even then, it's not that much. You asked for opinions, and hard realistic experience has taught me there's no easy weight saving solutions.
Old 07-30-2024, 02:39 PM
Mattedg_man

Originally Posted by dkmura
I used my W2W stats only to provide perspective. And while SCCA TT rules do not mandate roll cages or fire systems, I'd suggest that the speeds are similar. The risks are REAL and a roll bar with a properly installed harness bar, race seat and six-point harness is the minimum I'd want. There are no "few hundred pounds off" in the Z33 platform unless you're willing to strip the car, and even then, it's not that much. You asked for opinions, and hard realistic experience has taught me there's no easy weight saving solutions.
That's fair enough. I appreciate your input, and you are correct about the safety aspect. I will begin budgeting for this as well
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,296 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The white z is down to 2600lbs to 2700lbs but I have never raced it competitively (only straight line 1/4mi and 1/2mi) …

I will say the car is more nimble and ‘gets up and goes’ quicker and I feel that it gains speed faster at higher speeds.

I have found that it is much easier to remove weight from the rear of the car and you will need to be proactive to relocate items to the trunk to maintain a 50:50 balance and/or keep weight over the rear wheels.

DK’s statement about weight savings without reducing safety should be your number one guiding light - dont compromise safety to benefit performance.

Last edited by bealljk; Yesterday at 08:25 AM.