Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Bay area/ San Francisco people step up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Bay area/ San Francisco people step up!

Hey I'm going up north to the bay for a concert know Friday but I'll be there the whole weekend. Only plans I had were get drunk and see the bridge, that curvy street, and alcatraz

But after going on Alcatraz site I see they are sold out for months. Didn't know such a thing happened and that was one of the main reasons I wanted to make this weekend trip

Anybody know of fireworks out there this weekend?

Also would love good food places to check out or anything you guys think is worth my time
Old 06-29-2016, 09:28 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,260 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
Hey I'm going up north to the bay for a concert know Friday but I'll be there the whole weekend. Only plans I had were get drunk and see the bridge, that curvy street, and alcatraz

But after going on Alcatraz site I see they are sold out for months. Didn't know such a thing happened and that was one of the main reasons I wanted to make this weekend trip

Anybody know of fireworks out there this weekend?

Also would love good food places to check out or anything you guys think is worth my time
Dude!! You choose the weekend I'm gone!! (For three weeks actually...)

So where are you staying? IN San Francisco?

Best fireworks in town is the big show down at Chrissy Field, on the extreme North end of town next to the Bay. It's a madhouse of people though; but the fireworks - when not fogged out - are spectacular there. And the fog is a very real possibility. Summer in SF is a repeatable pattern. Fog rolls in afternoon/evening, stays put, and burns off by mid-morning....generally.

When I advise people coming to town about food, it's a hit or miss because of varying peoples' tastes but here the places I recommend:

R&G Lounge (Chinese food) at the foot of Chinatown on Kearny. Go there to have lichee martinis and their specialty, Salt & Pepper crab. It's basically a battered and deep fried crab so if you don't get into deep fry, pass on this but it's THE quintessential dish at this Chinese restaurant. Hint: best to get there before 5 for an early dinner else you'll wait a while....

Then, following R&G, you drive across the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge to Oakland and go to Fentons, the most famous ice cream parlour in the area. The sundaes are obscene and ohhhhh-so-freakin'-delicious. Or you can go there on a separate trip - like on the way back to Hwy 5 heading back down South. They have a full menu but we RARELY eat the food, which is just sandwiches, burgers, fries, chicken, etc. It's ALL ABOUT the ice cream, still made on prem.

As far as visiting Lombard Street - the allegedly crookedest street in the world, well, all I can say is, GO EARLY IN THE MORNING while the rest of the tourists are still asleep or eating breakfast. The line to drive down it isn't worth it. (If you do go though.... imagine a young Mic, who, growing up in SF had the highest aspirations to drive UP the street.... at an alarming rate of speed in one of his S30s....) Laff....

Too bad I'm not around though..... I could show you a way lesser known street in the South end of town that is just as (or more) crooked and is wider so you really can test your driving skills on it. FWIW, the street name is Vermont and runs North-South over in the Dogpatch (or Potrero Hill??) neighborhood. It's shorter but equally fun.

Anyhow, enjoy your trip up to the Bay Area. Maybe you'll run into TheSwede, who's here sometime soon too.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-29-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 AM
HRMoneyPit

Oh and weather! What to wear out there this time of year? Same as I do in SoCal? Shorts and still dying of heat? Or I'd assume it's a lot cooler? Last time I went to Seattle I got their weather wrong and was freezing!

I'd love to take my Z out on the trip but with my aggressive alignment and all that strait driving (6.5 hours) I'd have no tires left

The hotel I'm staying is Hotel Witcomb. Not the best I read but it the cheapest I could get.
I wanted to see Alcatraz so bad. Ugh
Old 06-30-2016, 08:19 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
Oh and weather! What to wear out there this time of year? Same as I do in SoCal? Shorts and still dying of heat? Or I'd assume it's a lot cooler? Last time I went to Seattle I got their weather wrong and was freezing!

I'd love to take my Z out on the trip but with my aggressive alignment and all that strait driving (6.5 hours) I'd have no tires left

The hotel I'm staying is Hotel Witcomb. Not the best I read but it the cheapest I could get.
I wanted to see Alcatraz so bad. Ugh
Layers. Bring a jacket. Mornings in the 50's then warm to 70's+.

BTW, just saw on news that heavy fog forecast for the 4th so fireworks may be a no-go.

Alcatraz.... You can go to the ticket booth and try to get tix (cancellations and such). Worst case, if you can't do the tour, you can take a bay cruise (Blue & Gold or Red&White fleets) that takes you BY the island and out to the GG Bridge. I've done it once in my life when I was like 10, haha....y'know, natives on a tourist attraction...doesn't happen much.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:41 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,056 Likes on 6,521 Posts

70s in afternoon.... hell it is hotter than that here when i get up at 445 in morning
Old 06-30-2016, 09:17 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by travlee
70s in afternoon.... hell it is hotter than that here when i get up at 445 in morning
I'm sure it is....and that's why I live here instead of Tejas. 😜

But yeah, been in the 90's of late here in SillyCon valley but SF is always much cooler being by the bay/ocean.

Fog=natural air conditioning. 👍
Old 06-30-2016, 01:43 PM
HRMoneyPit

Yeah I've been in the 90s and 100s for weeks out here

Okay so layers. I have Saturday all day so I guess I'll try and find a place to get tickets in the morning. But I wouldn't even know where to start lol

I won't be there the on the 4th anyway but I was wondering if they had anything the day before?
Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 PM
HRMoneyPit

Packing for the take off at 4am!