Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

ECU pulling power when applying brake+throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:49 PM
GolfinZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU pulling power when applying brake+throttle

I know a lot of people pull the brake fuse in order to do a standstill burnout, but WHY does the ecu pull power when on the brake and the throttle at the same time?

The reason I am asking is because I talked to UpRev about the issue and want to be able to do a burnout without having to pull the fuse all the time. I am going to take my car there to see if they can make the ecu not pull the power when the brake and throttle are both engaged.

So, why does the ecu do this? Is it due to the electronic throttle control or something else? I need some direction to give to them because they have never been asked this question, insofacto, they have never tuned or flashed for this before. Thanks for any insight they you guys might have. I think it would be pretty cool if they could figure it out.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:53 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

i just said f*ck it and installed a line lock...lol
Old 04-12-2007, 03:23 PM
westpak
SFZCC

It does it because not many people under normal circumstances will be applying the brake and throttle at the same time, and just in case yo uscrew up it is trying to save your ***. If you want it that bad do line locks as suggested.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:44 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eltness350
i just said f*ck it and installed a line lock...lol
do you wanna write up a DIY on a line-lock install? that would cool.... maybe some pics,too?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:11 AM
XuperXero

ECU does it so in case of emergency when you slam on the brake and so happens to hit the gas at the same time, it cuts down engine power so it'll save your ***.

Pretty useless in our cars considering the pedal designs. But damn, definitely need this function in the 06 VW Jetta, the pedals are just Ghey! Hit brake and gas with the same foot all the time and nearly rear ended someone too because of that.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:49 PM
KPierson
Banned

Check this out:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/231581-brake-boosting-a-tt-350z.html#post3617302

Have they got ECU reflashing down to the point they can actually change the way the ECU operates?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you brake, there is a bias towards the front wheels in terms of clamping force. If you were able to gas it at the same time, then you would lock the front wheels while spinning the rear wheels, which would cause you to fishtail or spin out on, say, the highway...
Old 04-17-2007, 08:00 PM
first350

someone on the boards makes a simple switch that you can turn off (essentially 'pulls' the brake fuse)...I made one and have the switch where the seat heater buttons would have been - easy way to do burn outs (and also provides stealth mode at night )

-Peter
Old 05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
nicholasm617

is the brake fuse near the battery or my left foot?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:18 PM
WalkerT
Professional

I did some test with a m35 rental and the best way to do a standing burn out it just pull the main conector off the ABS. This is under the Brake cover in the engine bay. The abs is seeing that you have the brake on and the rear wheels are spining. It "thinks" you have locked up the front and are sliding. SO it puts more flow to the rear brakes and clamps harder on the rear rotors and then no spin. But once you disco the brain on the ABS it does not know that your rears are spining and you can burn them until they blow if you wanted. This is because the normal braking you can over power with the throttle due to the front bias.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KPierson
Have they got ECU reflashing down to the point they can actually change the way the ECU operates?
depends on what u want to change.

i know they have full control of over the TB, but as far as brake operation and gas same time? that i dont know.

are you thinking about something like the Hondata two stage drag setup?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by Chebosto

i know they have full control of over the TB, but as far as brake operation and gas same time? that i dont know.

I didn't have anything in mind, I just just knew that they could change tables, not actual operating conditions.

It would be nice to be able to completely rewrite the software!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 PM
SmokyTyrz

The yaw sensor is located under your elbow beneath the center console. The orange wire is 12v. Install a switch inline to that wire. Mount the switch.

Done

Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM
KPierson
Banned

Will you get dash lights doing that?

Can you add throttle this way while pressing the gas? I was under the impression that this will only disable the VDC system?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Dozer

Originally Posted by first350
someone on the boards makes a simple switch that you can turn off (essentially 'pulls' the brake fuse)...I made one and have the switch where the seat heater buttons would have been - easy way to do burn outs (and also provides stealth mode at night )

-Peter
https://my350z.com/forum/inventor-classifieds/144005-cmods-brake-torque-kit-illuminated-or-non-illuminated.html
Old 05-08-2007, 05:57 PM
nicholasm617

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
The yaw sensor is located under your elbow beneath the center console. The orange wire is 12v. Install a switch inline to that wire. Mount the switch.

Done

and waht would that do?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto

CAN THEY DO THAT?????????????
Old 05-09-2007, 06:20 AM
SmokyTyrz

Will you get dash lights doing that?
Yes. You will get the VDC OFF and SLIP lights. But everything else works as normal. Use these lights to determine when you are in "Yaw Sensor Off" mode.

Can you add throttle this way while pressing the gas? I was under the impression that this will only disable the VDC system?
I assume you mean brake and throttle, and yes you can now trail brake/brake boost without worry of the VDC or traction control "backup system" kicking in.

I have this switch installed in my custom cubby, along with a few others...

Works great! Simple install, and you avoid all the fuss of fuse pulling, tail-light disabling, etc.

Originally Posted by nicholasm617

and waht would that do?
Wiring a switch inline on this orange wire will allow you to turn power on and off to the Yaw sensor. The Z's Yaw sensor acts as a "hub" of sorts, for the portion of the traction control system which manages the VDC and the "backup VDC" that "stays on even when you push the 'VDC OFF' switch". When you disable power to the yaw sensor, you also cut communication from the part of the traction control system that interferes when you try to use brake and throttle simulatenously.

The end result is that the traction control system is completely disabled, while the ABS function is retained. Two indicator lights (mentioned above) are the only visual evidence.

PS: This isn't my invention. There are tons of threads about this on my350z
Cheers
-Smoky
Old 05-09-2007, 08:54 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Great setup Smoky and thanks for the heads up.

Found this for anyone else trying to look up this mod: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/138480-how-do-you-disable-vdc-completly.html

And this has a diagram and a good explanation: https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...1&postcount=12

Last edited by rcdash; 05-09-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
nicholasm617

how many amps go through this orange wire? my switch is rated at 20 amps.

Quick Reply: ECU pulling power when applying brake+throttle