Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris from Uprev

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 AM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chavoush
Sorry to beat the 2003 issue to death. I remember you guys said as of now there is no support for an external wb like lc-1 to get its data incorporated into osiris, but i was wondering if there was a way you could wire the wide band in to your ecu instead of the stock nb's and then be able to use osiris? Now I know you can have the lc-1 simmulate a NB and feed it into the ecu, but i'm assuming then you would only get nb data on osiris.
Correct, you'd only get Narrowband info, because the ECU is different also. Now if you wanted to go through and update the car with the newer ECU and install factory widebands etc, that would work. But thats a huge cost.

We use the data logs from the LC1+ along with the Cipher logs all the time doing eTunes for customers, it's not that difficult.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:31 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by rcdash
lol. Better late than never. ...thanks to jb for clueing me in.
You're welcome.

I knew you'd notice the difference...

These UpRev guys have lots of cool stuff...
Old 10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
metal_gear350

I have read through the thread and I have one question. If I get test pipes and the CEL comes on will the Osiris be able to disable that CEL so that it won't so up again. My apologies if this has been answered. Thank you in advance
Old 10-14-2008, 07:07 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by metal_gear350
I have read through the thread and I have one question. If I get test pipes and the CEL comes on will the Osiris be able to disable that CEL so that it won't so up again. My apologies if this has been answered. Thank you in advance
Yup. We can turn on or off any of the DTC, and sometimes even change the parameters that cause the errors to show up.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:11 PM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by chavoush
Sorry to beat the 2003 issue to death. I remember you guys said as of now there is no support for an external wb like lc-1 to get its data incorporated into osiris, but i was wondering if there was a way you could wire the wide band in to your ecu instead of the stock nb's and then be able to use osiris? Now I know you can have the lc-1 simmulate a NB and feed it into the ecu, but i'm assuming then you would only get nb data on osiris.
This is actually something I've thought about playing with, but I never found the time to try it when we had a lot of 2003 cars in the shop and now they are scarce.
I actually did this on my Subaru back before the LC-1 was even out (the LM-1 has the same “simulator” outputs). The LC/LM-1 both let you program the analog outputs so that they can either simulate a narrowband O2 or give you a linier output. What I did w/ the Suby was wire the simulator into the NB input on my stock ECU… for normal street driving I would leave it in simulator mode, then when I needed to do some tuning I would reprogram it so that I got a linier output that I could log via Delta Dash (kind of a Suby version of Cipher from the UK). When it was in linier mode the ECU would start throwing CELs and going into quisi-limp-mode after just few pulls, so I had to reset the ECU constantly while tuning, but it did do the trick.
The analog input on the Suby ECU only ranged from 0-1V so the resolution wasn’t great, but it did do the trick.
I’ve wanted to test a similar technique on the 03 Z, but never found the time like I said. The Z ECU may even have a better V range on the narrowband input, but I can’t say for sure w/o doing the testing.

Jared@UpRev.com
Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 AM
chavoush

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PunKidd
This is actually something I've thought about playing with, but I never found the time to try it when we had a lot of 2003 cars in the shop and now they are scarce.
I actually did this on my Subaru back before the LC-1 was even out (the LM-1 has the same “simulator” outputs). The LC/LM-1 both let you program the analog outputs so that they can either simulate a narrowband O2 or give you a linier output. What I did w/ the Suby was wire the simulator into the NB input on my stock ECU… for normal street driving I would leave it in simulator mode, then when I needed to do some tuning I would reprogram it so that I got a linier output that I could log via Delta Dash (kind of a Suby version of Cipher from the UK). When it was in linier mode the ECU would start throwing CELs and going into quisi-limp-mode after just few pulls, so I had to reset the ECU constantly while tuning, but it did do the trick.
The analog input on the Suby ECU only ranged from 0-1V so the resolution wasn’t great, but it did do the trick.
I’ve wanted to test a similar technique on the 03 Z, but never found the time like I said. The Z ECU may even have a better V range on the narrowband input, but I can’t say for sure w/o doing the testing.

Jared@UpRev.com
Thanks for the info Jared. I'll tell you what, if it wasn't for the fact that I need to save some cash to replace the vortech's ss, fmu, pump, etc. my car would have allready been in austin for you to test this on. As soon as I do change this stuff, you'll be seeing atleast one 03 in your shop. for the time being i'm in the process of adding an lma-3 so that i can get rpm and boost to logworks logs. Just give me some time, and I'll be visiting you guys.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:00 PM
frankie945

You need more Pro Tuners. I would like to have your software, but Im not going to drive 500+ miles to a pro tuner. And you won't give a FI car a E-Tune to get me close which I kinda understand even though turbonetics can flash them close. You guys said you could only get my injectors scaled for idle to get me started. Need More Pro Tuners on the East Coast so I can buy this damn thing.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:14 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by frankie945
You need more Pro Tuners. I would like to have your software, but Im not going to drive 500+ miles to a pro tuner. And you won't give a FI car a E-Tune to get me close which I kinda understand even though turbonetics can flash them close. You guys said you could only get my injectors scaled for idle to get me started. Need More Pro Tuners on the East Coast so I can buy this damn thing.
I make calls every day trying to get more Pro Tuners to sign up. It is happening, just not quickly. I'm hoping I run into a few guys at SEMA in Vegas, if not I'll be at PRI in Orlando also.

We've added 2 Pro Tuners a month for the last 3 months. I want to double that starting in January.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM
6MTHavok

Any tuners in Florida yet?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:00 PM
twitch579

Yes I vote more for Florida!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:33 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You need a pro tuner in new jersey or new york area!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 AM
UpRev
Banned

Yes I know! I need Pro Tuners everywhere. Things are going nutty here at the shop, my phone doesn't stop ringing. I'm working on a few more people interested in becoming Pro Tuners, o we'll see what happens at SEMA. If you have a local tuner that you feel comfortable bringing your car to, tell them to contact me.

rich@uprev.com
(512)538-4856
Old 10-27-2008, 02:26 PM
twitch579

Just ordered Osiris Standard this morning. Cant wait to get it all installed and flashed! Ive been reading about tunes and flashes for over and year now and no that Uprev is the best.

Getting the car Dyno'ed on Saturday so I can see how the Base flash smooths out the powerband hopefully. Also il be able to log a better report on Cipher for my E-tune.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20 AM
athenG

How does Orisis react to knock/detonation? Does it rely on the stock ECU to pull timing when experiencing detonation? I believe the stock ECU stop monitoring knock after 5000rpm so does Orisis still monitor knock and react to it? I'm curios how Orisis will react when I get a tank of bad gas and doing WOT racing. I'm concern because when racing most of us stay above 5000rpm... I think it is retarded for the stock ECU stop monitoring knock on the higher rpm since that is were you put more load on your motor... Utec has its flaws but saved my motor countless time when I got a bad tank of gas.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 PM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by athenG
How does Orisis react to knock/detonation? Does it rely on the stock ECU to pull timing when experiencing detonation? I believe the stock ECU stop monitoring knock after 5000rpm so does Orisis still monitor knock and react to it? I'm curios how Orisis will react when I get a tank of bad gas and doing WOT racing. I'm concern because when racing most of us stay above 5000rpm... I think it is retarded for the stock ECU stop monitoring knock on the higher rpm since that is were you put more load on your motor... Utec has its flaws but saved my motor countless time when I got a bad tank of gas.
The stock knock "window" can be adjusted, but there is so much engine noise at the high RPMs that it tends to hear knock when there is none and it throws the ECU into "weak-sauce" mode and you loose gobs of power. Currently we don't give the end users access to the knock window, but it is something we can add if there are a lot of people out there who want to play with it.
Jared@uprev.com
Old 10-28-2008, 05:05 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by PunKidd
The stock knock "window" can be adjusted, but there is so much engine noise at the high RPMs that it tends to hear knock when there is none and it throws the ECU into "weak-sauce" mode and you loose gobs of power. Currently we don't give the end users access to the knock window, but it is something we can add if there are a lot of people out there who want to play with it.
Jared@uprev.com
Can you also adjust the sensitivity to compensate for the extra engine noise?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 PM
hiz-n-herz

I am too busy to read ~1300 posts. Are there any independent dynos published for an 07-08 (vq35hr) z with bolt-ons and dyno-tune with this software? i searched the thread for dynos can came up with nada..
Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by athenG
Can you also adjust the sensitivity to compensate for the extra engine noise?
Not at this time, but we'll likley add that to the ROM editor in the future.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
I am too busy to read ~1300 posts. Are there any independent dynos published for an 07-08 (vq35hr) z with bolt-ons and dyno-tune with this software? i searched the thread for dynos can came up with nada..
There aren't any HR Osiris tunes out there yet. We can read and write the flash memory now, but we're still working on adding support to the tuning suite.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 PM
athenG

Thanks for the Manual but I have some concern/question that maybe you have an answer.. I have a Utec and I'm comparing it to the Orisis if it is worth it to switch..

Pros..
1. No more hot start problem with bigger injector. I dont have this problem but people who are using 600cc and above tend to have this problem with Utec.. (a reflash can also fix this problem with Utec)

2. Better to handle Temp/altitude changes... Utec Temp compensation isnt the best but it does the job.

3. Better drivability since you wont worry about ECU to Utec or Utec to ECU switch over. Utec sometimes have this jerkiness on switching over coz there is a difference of A/F and Timing the ECU wants VS what the Utec is running...

Cons..

1. No boost control (I udnerstand why) but I will need to buy a boost controller (Utec has a built in boost controller)

2. Lack of Knock/detonation counter measure. Stock ECU stop monitoring knock after 5000rpm. Utec has active knock control through out the entire rpm and senstivity is adjsutable and tuner can set how much timing to pull per load and rpm... Uprev has the ability to increase the window but there is no way to control the sensitivity. At higher RPM there are more engine noise and the chance of picking FALSE knock increases so performance will suffer. Also just looking at the manual, you basically switch to a High Det timing map when there is knocking so there is really not much control. Utec will only retard the ignition on the RPM and Load where you are knocking with tuner define number of degrees to remove so you still keep most of your your tune...

3. Lack of support with Water/Meth injection.. I have a MAP base meth injection kit so I may need to switch that to a MAF base.

4. I have to use the stock 02 Sensor for tuning... I dont trust the stock 02 sensor since its accuracy tend to degrade once you go below 12.0:1 A/F. You said base on your testing, the stock sensor are good up to 11.2:1.. either way I dont want to take a chance..

5. Lack of base map support for FI (specially injector size..).. I will have to tune my Fuel table from scratch....

I dont mind the tuning part if the first 4 part were address. For NA then I think it is going to be great.

Quick Reply: Osiris from Uprev