Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris from Uprev

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by UpRev
Nope, gotta contact the dealership parts department unless you already have Cipher. The ECU part number is actually a software part number.

23710-XXXXX

The first five numbers designate it as an ECU, the last five are the software version. It's not on the car because it can change at any time for emissions updates or other updates Nissan deems needed.
Well they gave me 31036-AL000. Which I think is incorrect. I actually have the Cipher in hand. Can I hook it up and see what ecu p/n & version I have to advise you guys? I want to perform a license transfer for a Osiris I bought used. For an early 03 G35 sedan BTW.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well they gave me 31036-AL000. Which I think is incorrect. I actually have the Cipher in hand. Can I hook it up and see what ecu p/n & version I have to advise you guys? I want to perform a license transfer for a Osiris I bought used. For an early 03 G35 sedan BTW.
Early 03 Sedan has the older style ECU, the first 5 of the part number give it away. The ECU that Cipher and Osiris work with are 23710, yours is 31036. Not sure about the ability to upgrade to the newer ECU either. I've heard stories but never seen a completed vehicle.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Jeff92se

I've been emailing Rich and emailed him the same info. Early conversations revolved around having this done at a shop. But he said it could be done.
Now I have an used Osris in hand and want to relicense and upload myself. I'll connect the Cipher and see what it says as far as the ecu p/n.

He did say it was possible. Can you confirm with him?

Thanks

Jeff92se
Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 AM
xbuhhx

The event was awesome. It was good to meet everyone. Hopefully I'll have a blog post up about it before too long with some pics. Shawns dyno and bay setup worked out great, I lost count of the number of cars that they did dyno pulls with that day but it was HUGE.

Thanks to everyone that showed up!
so any plans for something like this for the local guys?!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 PM
UpRev
Banned

I've been emailing Rich and emailed him the same info. Early conversations revolved around having this done at a shop. But he said it could be done.
Now I have an used Osris in hand and want to relicense and upload myself. I'll connect the Cipher and see what it says as far as the ecu p/n.

He did say it was possible. Can you confirm with him?

Thanks

Jeff92se
Check it out with Cipher, if it is the newer style it should be able to tell you the ECU part number.

If it's the older style ECU then it's a whole different ball game. Nissan went way weird on the first production run of the G35 Sedan. If it's the second run then it may have the newer style ECU.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by xbuhhx
so any plans for something like this for the local guys?!
If we have a second of free time yes we'd love to do it. You can also contact Jon at ProTech, they just got a spiffy new dyno and have been doing a number of dyno days, we could run over there for an event.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Jeff92se

Check it out with Cipher, if it is the newer style it should be able to tell you the ECU part number.

If it's the older style ECU then it's a whole different ball game. Nissan went way weird on the first production run of the G35 Sedan. If it's the second run then it may have the newer style ECU.
I'll check but all indications that I've researched tell me it's an early ecu. ie.. type I. Doggy door trunk, gray ecu connector vs black for the newer style.

Again Rich said it was possible. Just that if the ecu didn't take the flash, the ecu would have to be sent in to get it reset.

Does the fact that it's an early unit prevent it from being flashed from a laptop?
Old 11-14-2008, 05:44 PM
UpRev
Banned

I'll check but all indications that I've researched tell me it's an early ecu. ie.. type I. Doggy door trunk, gray ecu connector vs black for the newer style.

Again Rich said it was possible. Just that if the ecu didn't take the flash, the ecu would have to be sent in to get it reset.

Does the fact that it's an early unit prevent it from being flashed from a laptop?
Yes it does prevent it from being flashed. Early ECU meaning 03 and early 04 on Coupes. Previous generation ECU is not supported. If you ask will I be able to tune an 03 G35, then the answer is yes, but not on early 03 Sedans. The Sedan for some odd reason in the first production run got the older style ECU.

We have yet to even attempt connecting to the earlier generation ECU because there are for certain no CAN BUS connections to be had, and the architecture of the ECU is different, meaning the software is different.

The 03 and early 04 Coupes have an early version of the same ECU used in the new cars including the GTR. The Sedan didn't receive that for some reason till the second production run of 03 models.

Find out what Cipher says about it, and lets see what it is.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 PM
urbanchaos

So this does work with the 03 350z. On the site I read it doesnt. Or was the talk about the 03 for a g35?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Acidhex

Too many pages to look through - would just like some verification.

I'm not looking to tune my car myself, but would like a tune that is beneficial and safe on my car (NA VQ35DE motor) - I don't have cruise control for map switching so that is not necessary.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to pickup Cipher with Osiris or not? If I choose not to buy Cipher, I'd have to settle for a generic map which may or may not be 100% appropriate for my car specifically, correct?

Last edited by Acidhex; 11-15-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:51 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by urbanchaos
So this does work with the 03 350z. On the site I read it doesnt. Or was the talk about the 03 for a g35?
Works on the 03 350Z the only draw back on those cars is they do not have a Wideband O2 sensor. So to do eTune updates you'll need to either do pulls on a dyno with AFR reading, or add an aftermarket Wideband like the PLX or Zeitronix that has data logging capabilities.

They didn't add O2 sensors till the 04.5 model year 350Z and G35.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:53 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Acidhex
Too many pages to look through - would just like some verification.

I'm not looking to tune my car myself, but would like a tune that is beneficial and safe on my car (NA VQ35DE motor) - I don't have cruise control for map switching so that is not necessary.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to pickup Cipher with Osiris or not? If I choose not to buy Cipher, I'd have to settle for a generic map which may or may not be 100% appropriate for my car specifically, correct?
We can do Osiris Standard and with the eTune capability we can get the tune tweaked specific for your particular car. The base flash generally isn't the best way to go as each car is different enough to make it noticeable.

Your other choice would be to take the car to one of our listed Pro Tuners and have them do a complete dyno tune. Though if you're in CO then the closest Pro Tuner is a days drive at this point.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Acidhex

I guess my question would be, do I need to pick up both Cipher and Osiris for maximum gain then?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Acidhex
I guess my question would be, do I need to pick up both Cipher and Osiris for maximum gain then?
Well Osiris Standard comes with Cipher. Thats how you connect to the ECU and get data logs and do eTune flash updates. So for you it would probably be the best overall choice.

Osiris Standard does not include Forced Induction support. At that point you'd upgrade to Osiris Tuner and find a local dyno shop that has a good tuner.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Acidhex

Alright, will probably pick this up after I pick up the plenum spacer and lower collector
Old 11-16-2008, 05:53 PM
BabyZiLLa

Unsubscribing. Past 20 pages have just been people asking the same questions over and over.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 AM
frankie945

Well Osiris Standard comes with Cipher. Thats how you connect to the ECU and get data logs and do eTune flash updates. So for you it would probably be the best overall choice.

Osiris Standard does not include Forced Induction support. At that point you'd upgrade to Osiris Tuner and find a local dyno shop that has a good tuner.
I thought you had to be a pro tuner, I talked to my tuner just last week if he had ever heard of you guys and he said no. So how would a good tuner which mine is tune a program that he has never encountered? Just curious...
Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Cipher is very useful... Once you get it, you'll wonder how you lived without it...
Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
Unsubscribing. Past 20 pages have just been people asking the same questions over and over.
gee i found myself wondering if you were still subscribed to this thread, thanks for the update chief
Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
Originally Posted by Entaille
gee i found myself wondering if you were still subscribed to this thread, thanks for the update chief
LOL!!! as usal...ramdom comments and useless info from him like in the OC thread. His update made my evening here

Quick Reply: Osiris from Uprev