Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris vs UTEC, my experince.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:17 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Osiris vs UTEC, my experince.

Most of you know about Osiris from Uprev. I have been testing it since April. I have the reflasher, and some extra things that will be released soon. It can do lots of things, i cant speak about all of them but I will say this it beats tuning with anything else. I had the utec for awhile but I did not like it. To me converting a engine from a MAF to a MAP setup should be with the removal of the MAF.

When I had the utec, running it off of the MAF sensor was horrible, I would have to retune it every few days, recalibrate the O2 sensor. Driving from high to low altitude was not an option with the MAF. Due to the advanced nissan ecu it learns around it, thinks the MAF is dirty and tries to retune the car. I contacted uprev about reflashing a few things that the utec couldn't do and thats when they brought me into the beta.

With the flash, it rewrites the hexadecimal in the stock ECU, there is no way now that the ecu can learn around it. It has a target A/F ratio, i set it to 12.8 and then it took me about 20 minutes to fully tune the timing and a/f on the highway. I cant speak much about the version I have but I will say this, there will be no need for an fcon, or haltech, or anything else you can think of. My car runs smooth, just like the factory tuned it that way. It used to have a rough spot around 5200 rpms, the osiris program cured that. I basically set it and checked it every few weeks to make sure it was still there, and it was. The only need I can see in the future for a standalone would be solenoid controls or boost control by gear, but there are electronics you can buy for this, and still come out cheaper than an FCON with the same results. Look up the hptuners software for GM cars and this will give you an idea of whats coming up. You never hear of a stand alone on an LS1 car

With the UTEC I had these problems :
The car would idle strange sometimes, I have cams.
Driving into low altitude, it would get so rich that flames would come out of the exhaust from the all the extra fuel.
The change the from the stock ecu to the utec was never seamless. It never is and never will be. The resolution on it is fine, I have never heard and any one popping a engine with a lack of tuning spots in a utec, its a gimmick to sell higher priced junk people do not need. I'm sorry but tuners laugh all the way to the bank when you hand them 3000$ for an fcon.

With the Osiris flash :
The car idles perfect.
There is no hesitation any where at any rpm, its all power just like stock but better.
Driving from 4000ft above sea level too 1200ft, the car ran exactly the same. The same A/F ratio the same timing, everything.
Driving as far as I do i get to use different grades of gasoline, from 89-94 depending on where i stop. The car didn't seem to mind, the tune stayed the same.
I don't have a piggy back and need to run wires all over the place.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:25 AM
izmir41500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice. i may have to consider this in the future.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 AM
captj3

Have you boosted your car yet? Is your reveiw for a NA application. If you FI your car how much boost are you running. It sounds like you're na since you run 89 oct sometimes.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:16 AM
dTor

Rocks, that is some great news.

If you need to borrow a flame suit, I've got an extra for ya!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 AM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and their in Austin...not to far from me. looks like something us N/A guys should research more on
Old 07-23-2007, 10:21 AM
dovla

Originally Posted by pony_killer
and their in Austin...not to far from me. looks like something us N/A guys should research more on
And not just N/A guys, FI also ...
Old 07-23-2007, 10:27 AM
KPierson
Banned

If they can remap the MAF input then this could be a very useful tool for FI, as you would be able to remove the MAF and replace it with a MAP and tune using the OEM ECU.

If they can't remap the MAF input then I'll stick with my UTEC. Mine idles great and the transistion between OEM and UTEC is seamless.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
dovla

Originally Posted by KPierson
If they can remap the MAF input then this could be a very useful tool for FI, as you would be able to remove the MAF and replace it with a MAP and tune using the OEM ECU.

If they can't remap the MAF input then I'll stick with my UTEC. Mine idles great and the transistion between OEM and UTEC is seamless.
Kevin, they can rescale the OEM MAF. Or they can put bigger MAF/housing and flowbench it. I am not sure about replacing the MAF with MAP. You might find these UpRev posts helpful. It might be best to PM or call them.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:31 PM
rocks

It can scale/remap the MAF sensor so it will meter as much boost as you would ever possibly need. I will be putting on a 3-3.5" MAF sensor and intake pipe soon to prepare for turbo charging the car. I will probably use a MAF from a titan as i think its a 3.5" one from the factory but i need to recheck that. If anyone has a titan and could measure it for me i would appreciate it . It can also control the camshafts, something a fcon cant even do.

Last edited by rocks; 07-23-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This may be exactly what the doctor ordered.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:27 PM
GolfinZ

rocks...awesome write up. I dont have the osiris, but they tuned my car with it in Jan (there wasnt one for sale yet) and let me tell you it is silky smooth. Idles perfect, throttle is responsive and is smooth in every gear and at all rpms. I would like to see JWT and UpRev hook up and get an even better tune on the TT kit...hint hint UpRev is on their game.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:49 PM
rocks

The one thing that i would really like to see, is fuel pump modulation through the ECU, if they can get this done there will no longer be a need for a return fuel system. In the new ford and gm software they dont use a return fuel system for boost, according to a shop where i dynoed my car.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:57 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

rocks, i have both Osiris and the UTEC - both are in Sharif's hands right now awaiting tuning. During my discussions with the UpRev folks, they made it pretty clear that "remote tuning" using Osiris on FI applications was risky to say the least. Unless you live near UpRev, I don't know that using Osiris for FI is a viable alternative even with a new higher capacity MAF (which may cost nearly as much as a UTEC if I'm not mistaken).
Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Seb-Specialty-Z

This is the way we are going for sure. Matt was extremely helpful in answering all my questions. Way to go Uprev!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:04 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by rocks
The one thing that i would really like to see, is fuel pump modulation through the ECU, if they can get this done there will no longer be a need for a return fuel system. In the new ford and gm software they dont use a return fuel system for boost, according to a shop where i dynoed my car.
That wouldn't be possilbe directly from the ECU because the ECU controls a fuel pump relay. You can't modulate a fuel pump with an electromagnetic relay, you would have to have a solid state driver capable of driving a fairly big load. You would also need a very accurate fuel pressure sensor, something that we don't have (to my knowledge).

Last edited by KPierson; 07-24-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:18 AM
dovla

Originally Posted by rcdash
rocks, i have both Osiris and the UTEC - both are in Sharif's hands right now awaiting tuning. During my discussions with the UpRev folks, they made it pretty clear that "remote tuning" using Osiris on FI applications was risky to say the least. Unless you live near UpRev, I don't know that using Osiris for FI is a viable alternative even with a new higher capacity MAF (which may cost nearly as much as a UTEC if I'm not mistaken).
Raj, this might be too late for you, but beside below mentioned tuners I think others are coming on board also, plus end-user tuning version might not be far.
I never thought that Utec would sell that cheap as MAF.

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...7&postcount=17
Originally Posted by PunKidd
FYI, there are a couple of pro tuners that are already using the Osiris tuning suite. Sam @ GTM has it and Mark @ SGP has it. This is the beta version that will not be released to end users. It's just not user friendly enough. The redesign is in the works. I don't want to set any dates, but I will say I want to get it out ASAP because I'm getting overwhelmed w/ eTunes already. The sooner we can get it released the sooner we can start sending people to their local tuners .
Jared@UpRev.com
Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 AM
THE TECH

Nice review.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:45 AM
1cockyZ

I am waiting for when they have the reflash programs to support larger maf housings if they had it already I would be a buyer now. If I get a pm later saying we have those reflashes looks like I am spending $700. Excellent review and the lack of extra wiring in the car is what wins me over most.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive read some of the other thread but Im totally a noob on this Osiris .

rocks...are you saying we will be able to tune F/I cars with this thing ? At any level of boost...safely ? On MAF ? not MAP ?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:50 AM
KPierson
Banned

I don't think you would want to tune FI with a MAF. But, if you can rescale the MAF input you could replace it with a MAP and tune off of that.

Quick Reply: Osiris vs UTEC, my experince.