Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev wants suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:00 PM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
REQUEST: the ability to have a gauge display (in Cipher presumably) that can launch and connect and display previously configured channels automatically.

Being able to survive a standby and resume cycle would be nice also. Cipher could be a killer carPC application with very little effort.

I know this won't make it on the list, but I've been asking for years, so here goes: ability to read the TCM and run diagnostics like Consult II can for the 5AT.
We're working with these guys to allow them to offer the in car PC deal, using our Cipher cables. We've been talking to them since SEMA last year and we're going to try to help them develop linux software for our cables if we can since that is what they run on their in car PC.

http://www.magden-auto.com/
Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by __jb
...and of course Cipher's gauges would look a whole lot slicker if they were in nice color layouts similar to a real dashboard... Like maybe a Lexus dash for instance...
Hands full right now, but scriptable cipher interface is in the fold. We've been wanting to do that forever.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UpRev
We're working with these guys to allow them to offer the in car PC deal, using our Cipher cables. We've been talking to them since SEMA last year and we're going to try to help them develop linux software for our cables if we can since that is what they run on their in car PC.

http://www.magden-auto.com/

linux software....isn't that related to OSX? 3/4 of the way there....I know I'm stubborn.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
linux software....isn't that related to OSX? 3/4 of the way there....I know I'm stubborn.

Shush you! We're just going to help him develop his software to use our hardware, it won't have all the function of Cipher, just enough to allow him access to the ECU and build his displays and outputs.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 PM
UpRev
Banned

Seriously no one wants flat foot shifting or remote tuning capabilities or OEM support or custom configurations for motor swap cars or data from third party manufacturers or E85 tunes?

Man you guys gotta try and get a little more creative.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:29 PM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously no one wants flat foot shifting or remote tuning capabilities or OEM support or custom configurations for motor swap cars or data from third party manufacturers or E85 tunes?

I already have flat foot shifting. the one perk of an automatic...well that one and on the rare occasion I get intoxicated, the wife can drive.

Define remote tuning. I honestly think most of us are too uninformed about the capabilities of your software/hardware to know what kind of things to dream up. Now if you hook a fellow Texan up, I can try to become more creative.

I figure if I can't get the Mac greatness, I'll try another scheme
Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
I already have flat foot shifting. the one perk of an automatic...well that one and on the rare occasion I get intoxicated, the wife can drive.

Define remote tuning. I honestly think most of us are too uninformed about the capabilities of your software/hardware to know what kind of things to dream up. Now if you hook a fellow Texan up, I can try to become more creative.

I figure if I can't get the Mac greatness, I'll try another scheme

Forget what you know or might think you know, and come up with some good solid reasonable ideas.

I kinda threw the remote tuning in there because we already do it. eTune has been a part of Osiris since day one. But "Remote Tuning" sounds so cool doesn't it?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:54 PM
GrayG35

work on the auto trans for us. we need firmer shifts, something electronically should be able to control line pressure. F buying an expensive valve body!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 AM
thinking

Yes, real launch control and flat foot shifting are definitely desired. In fact, everyone will be very disappointed if you do not have this functionality in the upcoming consumer release.

Having the ability to click on a shortcut and have a pre-configured set of monitoring parameters, display settings, and log settings come up is also expected to be in the soon-to-be-released consumer version.

However, as with "remote tuning" you can put a name on something that would have different definitions depending upon who you asked. Remote tuning could mean your current boring definition (email a file to somebody), or it could mean something like real-time tuning on somebody's car, by Jared, across the internet (which you could technically do right now too). Or it could mean something else.

Additionally, one of the reasons that you may not be getting as much creativity is because in the past Uprev has responded negatively to enhancement/feature requests. As a result, people may have the impression that you do not have the capabilities to do certain things. Just a thought.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Remote tuning in the Windows world would just be using Remote Desktop to access a running Osiris RTT on the target computer, right? Assume you could already do that.

How about code in Osiris that reads in Cipher's 0-60 log file and analyzes all the data to determine the characteristics of your car... it would then ask if you would like the ECU optimized for road racing or drag racing and flash 'er up.

How about a version of the RTT software that is optimized for people with a RevUp that have a standalone ECM system. It would help with the things a standalone can not control in a RevUp... things like changing the rev limit... changing the speed limit... adjusting the throttle controls...
Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Silver_Z33

When is there gonna be an update for 03 and 04 the site says v1.1 is only for 04.5 - 06?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Silver_Z33

Or r u just gonna cover that in 2.0?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:41 AM
drive4fun

As said before Launch control & Two-Step would nice.

Here is someone using their launch control at the track. I believe they are using OSIRIS too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QnFAccBcPrA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QnFAccBcPrA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here is another video showing the rev limiter in action.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U3kt_fnS8G0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U3kt_fnS8G0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I would love to see more. Should definitely help out in the 1/4 mile times.

I understand this is very stressful to the transmissions. I wonder how much a G35/350z can handle.

Can't wait until V 2.0 is out. Sorry if this is a re-post.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:53 AM
drive4fun

Two - Step = Flat Foot Shifting...
Old 08-23-2008, 12:54 PM
billybrun

Originally Posted by drive4fun
Here is someone using their launch control at the track. I believe they are using OSIRIS too. Can't wait until V 2.0 is out. Sorry if this is a re-post.
Yup, it's me in those videos, just trying to show how I use map switching as launch control/2-step.
I would love not having to do the switching in order to get that feature. It gets confusing when you forget to pick the right map right before you stage, but it's better than nothing.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I cant seem to the find the answer that i know you went over but, you would be able to purchase osiris now, and upgrade to 2.0 for an extra 200 down the line, correct?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:26 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by thinking
Additionally, one of the reasons that you may not be getting as much creativity is because in the past Uprev has responded negatively to enhancement/feature requests. As a result, people may have the impression that you do not have the capabilities to do certain things. Just a thought.

Tell you what, we'll just be like all the other manufacturers and not have any kind of discourse with our customers. Our I'll continue to post the way I like to post and you'll get over it.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:29 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
I cant seem to the find the answer that i know you went over but, you would be able to purchase osiris now, and upgrade to 2.0 for an extra 200 down the line, correct?
No the $200 upgrade would be for End User Tuning when we release it. Osiris 2.0 will be out shortly and there isn't a real upgrade for someone just running a flash/eTune version of Osiris currently. The effective update for previous customers would only be if they were going to upgrade to End User Tuning.

So if you were to buy normal Osiris right now, and wanted End User Tuning, then yes there would be a $200 upgrade.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:36 PM
drive4fun

Originally Posted by billybrun
Yup, it's me in those videos, just trying to show how I use map switching as launch control/2-step.
I would love not having to do the switching in order to get that feature. It gets confusing when you forget to pick the right map right before you stage, but it's better than nothing.

Nice.. Yeah, I would assume that UPREV will provide us a new map with launch control.

How long/often have you been using this method for? Any problems? I'm sure any problems would be covered under warranty but I would want to play it safe.

Seems like you have a nice drag set-up going on. Just out of curiosity how's your 1/4 mile? 0-60? Mod's / wheels (Clearing issues) / tires (MT's).

Thanks bro...
Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by __jb
Remote tuning in the Windows world would just be using Remote Desktop to access a running Osiris RTT on the target computer, right? Assume you could already do that.

How about code in Osiris that reads in Cipher's 0-60 log file and analyzes all the data to determine the characteristics of your car... it would then ask if you would like the ECU optimized for road racing or drag racing and flash 'er up.

How about a version of the RTT software that is optimized for people with a RevUp that have a standalone ECM system. It would help with the things a standalone can not control in a RevUp... things like changing the rev limit... changing the speed limit... adjusting the throttle controls...
We already offer "remote tuning" via eTune, but yes you could use remote screen technology to handle actual tuning from anywhere in the world with a fast enough connection.

Auto tune was an idea, and it seems pretty easy on the face of it, but there is alot about it that isn't that easy, especially with you're dealing withing someone elses hardware and no access to the source code. Either way the Auto tune idea would only be useful to get a quick patch done, not a full tune, there are alot of just straight previous knowledge things involved in tuning that it couldn't do with the state of technology right now. We can do a solid NA tune in around 2 hours starting from scratch, so our system is pretty easy as it stands.

We can't split the Osiris license for a minimal use. So it would still require a full license for a consumer that wanted those changes made. We' are however working on an OEM version that would allow a company to produce a basic flash with pre-set standards for a solid OEM price. That version will not allow for further Osiris updates and may even be renamed something else just to keep it from being confused with Osiris. ie. you get some turbo kit and instead of a Split Second box, you get Cipher and the as yet to be named OEM tune, but if you wanted to get a tune done to it, you'd need to buy an Osiris license. We're currently in discussion with a few manufacturers on this idea and it all comes down to price and utility. We really want to make the price right for the OEMs, yet retain at the very least, a usable Cipher cable for future updates and diagnostics.

Quick Reply: Uprev wants suggestions.