Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev wants suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 PM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
You still make money on the cable. You still make money on the core protocol library.

I don't mean to be insulting. I've been doing software development professionally for wlel over 10 years. It's a question something each development house has to face: what is your core competency? In your case, it's obviously the network and all the ecu stuff.

Any development resources currently devoted to the cipher front end could be redistributed to core development work. I mean, do you really want to be gui developers? How many man hours did it take to develop and test all of the snazzy gauges? How about the data logging functionality? How about the various preference related features already discussed in this thread?

My point is let the community take care of all of the low-hanging fruit. Concentrate on what you already do well. Better application of capital IMO.

No I get what you're saying, but we're not selling $25 cables for $400. Our cables have a full processor and a few other chips on them, our cost is higher than you're even considering. Not to mention the 5 years of development to get here. If it was as easy as you must think, everyone would be doing what we're doing.

Cipher hasn't been touched in a year and a half, no development time is going into it. Yes we do want to be a GUI developer, it's one of the things that makes our product easier to use than our competitions. We also have full scripting capability in our software GUI, you're welcome to develop your own interface designs for it once we release the updates. Trust in the fact that we understand what we're doing business wise.

If you don't feel our product is worth the prices we have to charge, you're honestly more than welcome to open source your own project and take us on in the market. We'll continue to be more than competitive with our prices and we'll do things like a business.

Last edited by UpRev; 08-19-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:23 PM
trey.hutcheson

Originally Posted by UpRev
No I get what you're saying, but we're not selling $25 cables for $400. Our cables have a full processor and a few other chips on them, our cost is higher than you're even considering. Not to mention the 5 years of development to get here. If it was as easy as you must think, everyone would be doing what we're doing.
Obviously I wasn't part of the product development, so I have no idea what your cost per unit(amortized) is. However, I was not aware of the intricacies of the product. But this is a public forum, and a reasoned discussion, so no harm done. BTW - I never meant to imply that I thought it was *easy*. I thought that *if* you've covered enough of the cost to commercialize the product, that you might see more money through higher volume and lower margins.

I don't mind being wrong. But I know I'm not the only person to have considered this option. So making this discussion public is actually a good thing.

Cipher hasn't been touched in a year and a half, no development time is going into it. Yes we do want to be a GUI developer, it's one of the things that makes our product easier to use than our competitions. We also have full scripting capability in our software GUI, you're welcome to develop your own interface designs for it once we release the updates. Trust in the fact that we understand what we're doing business wise.

If you don't feel our product is worth the prices we have to charge, you're honestly more than welcome to open source your own project and take us on in the market. We'll continue to be more than competitive with our prices and we'll do things like a business.
I never said I thought the product wasn't worth the cost. I said I don't have the money to spend on the product. Those are two different situations.

And I totally don't get the rest of that second paragraph. I was advocating open sourcing the front-end to the cipher app. There was no intention of productizing *anything* or competing with you in *any* way. Where'd you get that idea?

Would you consider publishing a cipher api? Possibly as a develop add-on to the full price of cipher? For example, it would be nice to datalog various stock sensors (crank position sensor, steering angle, accelerometers) into the same output stream as information from other external sensors(an external remote rotor thermocouple for example).

Let us please take this discussion away from the viability of open sourcing or the value of the product. Let's just stipulate that the price is what it is, and your business model is in place.

However, there still exists a world of possibilities to take advantage of all those on board sensors that your software engineers simply cannot predict. Something like the cipher could be an invaluable component within a racing telemetry system, but it might be too complicated to incorporate it today.

Food for thought.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Would you consider publishing a cipher api? Possibly as a develop add-on to the full price of cipher? For example, it would be nice to datalog various stock sensors (crank position sensor, steering angle, accelerometers) into the same output stream as information from other external sensors(an external remote rotor thermocouple for example).
Yes! Not sure about the open source thing but it would be great to add external sensor inputs into the cipher datalogging. ie.. 02 data for us pre-05ers!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:34 PM
thinking

1. Control of radiator fans
A. Default setting
B. Temperature setting for low speed on
C. Temperature setting for high speed on
D. 1 Fan always on
E. 2 Fans always on

This can be used for other things besides the previously mentioned track use and SCCA Solo use.

2. TCS off - set in conjunction with a specific map (or not)

3. Rear lights all off

4. Soft rev limiter curve presets/choices

5. Speedometer correction

6. GUI that does not crash
Old 08-20-2008, 06:24 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

UpRev should consider offering an Osiris Pro tuning class. I think people would pay to be able to learn how Osiris works and how to use it correctly to tune one of our cars from the creators of the product.

It is not really logical to sell a product and then abandon all your customers to Pro Tuners for answers on the product.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:53 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by __jb
UpRev should consider offering an Osiris Pro tuning class. I think people would pay to be able to learn how Osiris works and how to use it correctly to tune one of our cars from the creators of the product.

It is not really logical to sell a product and then abandon all your customers to Pro Tuners for answers on the product.
www.EFI101.com
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its gonna be awhile for the end user tunable version I'd ask you to allow for some slight tuning by the end user...maybe just small things like "auto TCS off", and a few degrees of timing adjustment. (can't remember off hand if that's already an option.)...those are just examples...any other stuff that you could think of. Like that which has been previously mentioned, allow for ppl to turn on/off their fans manually, or alter the preset temp ranges...I know that when I buy something I want to tinker with it. and small things like this might be enough to satisfy my mind for a while.

I go back and forth whether I want to jump on the "tune boat". due to irrational thoughts that like to hop into my head and tell me its a waste of money. My wife won't stay out of my head.

Maybe Mac compatibility? (without use of Bootcamp, as Microsoft is evil)
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Didn't see Osiris.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by __jb
Didn't see Osiris.

We're not capable of doing training here, not enough man power or free time. You'd take EFI101 courses to learn about tuning if you wanted to learn, our product does the same thing as any full piggy back or stand alone does, just with a different interface on the stock ECU. If anything our interface should make it easier for most people.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
If its gonna be awhile for the end user tunable version I'd ask you to allow for some slight tuning by the end user...maybe just small things like "auto TCS off", and a few degrees of timing adjustment. (can't remember off hand if that's already an option.)...those are just examples...any other stuff that you could think of. Like that which has been previously mentioned, allow for ppl to turn on/off their fans manually, or alter the preset temp ranges...I know that when I buy something I want to tinker with it. and small things like this might be enough to satisfy my mind for a while.

I go back and forth whether I want to jump on the "tune boat". due to irrational thoughts that like to hop into my head and tell me its a waste of money. My wife won't stay out of my head.

Maybe Mac compatibility? (without use of Bootcamp, as Microsoft is evil)
Mac compatibility would be nice, I'm a mac person myself, it just comes down to time and money. Another 2 years and a hundred thousand units shipped, and we'll do it. At the very least for the time being, Apple has made it fairly easy to use Windows on their hardware.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 PM
GrayG35

so if we dont take the classes, how soon will the forum be up so that we can converse among eachother about tuning on the street tuner? This is the biggest problem I am thinking of once i decide to go to 2.0. I dont want to have to deal with pro tuners when uprev will not answer my questions about the program and tuning, which is understandable because i wouldnt want to be on the phone all day trying to teach people to tune when i could just send them a map to load. How difficult will it be to tune with this program if you already have the basic idea about tuning? I want to be able to tune the car myself and maybe with the help of others on the forums.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:02 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by GrayG35
so if we dont take the classes, how soon will the forum be up so that we can converse among eachother about tuning on the street tuner? This is the biggest problem I am thinking of once i decide to go to 2.0. I dont want to have to deal with pro tuners when uprev will not answer my questions about the program and tuning, which is understandable because i wouldnt want to be on the phone all day trying to teach people to tune when i could just send them a map to load. How difficult will it be to tune with this program if you already have the basic idea about tuning? I want to be able to tune the car myself and maybe with the help of others on the forums.

The Forums will be up shortly after we get our new website up. We need to make sure that we have accounts and tracking set up, plus a file server to allow members of the forum to share tunes or notes. It's going to take a few weeks before we start rolling out the support forums, and Pro Tuners will have special accounts to offer other member services.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 PM
GrayG35

so this means that pro tuners from this forum will have the ability to tune cars over the internet for the price of their choice if they choose to on the street tuner forums?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:26 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by GrayG35
so this means that pro tuners from this forum will have the ability to tune cars over the internet for the price of their choice if they choose to on the street tuner forums?

They already can.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 PM
civic4982

I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this but if the cipher was able to output to an RCA video out that would be really interesting to be able to use since a lot of the newer G37 cars have auxiliary inputs for video right out of the box.

It'd be nice to have that at the tap of your fingers without even having to have a laptop or carputer.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 AM
Mize

Originally Posted by civic4982
I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this but if the cipher was able to output to an RCA video out that would be really interesting to be able to use since a lot of the newer G37 cars have auxiliary inputs for video right out of the box.

It'd be nice to have that at the tap of your fingers without even having to have a laptop or carputer.
Cipher is a windows-based program that reads data from the OBDII port and supplied cable, what you're suggesting makes no sense. You need a windows-based laptop/pc regardless of how you choose to display the video
Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 AM
civic4982

^ I just assumed there would be someway to get the same data from cipher through a "box" of some sort to get straight output to RCAs. I guess what I'm thinking is a built in carputer or something of the sort that manages a nice GUI interface that would be easy to use as well as still being able to plug a USB cable into it to run off of a laptop at the same time.

Kind of an extra function although I'm sure it would require more cost.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:39 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mac compatibility would be nice, I'm a mac person myself, it just comes down to time and money. Another 2 years and a hundred thousand units shipped, and we'll do it. At the very least for the time being, Apple has made it fairly easy to use Windows on their hardware.
But I don't like Windows.

no worries. I have a PC laptop too.

I'm sure this has been addresssed, but I'm forgetfull - ability to plug an aftermarket wideband into the cipher software? Is this possible? (for us lowly 03 owners)

Originally Posted by civic4982
^ I just assumed there would be someway to get the same data from cipher through a "box" of some sort to get straight output to RCAs. I guess what I'm thinking is a built in carputer or something of the sort that manages a nice GUI interface that would be easy to use as well as still being able to plug a USB cable into it to run off of a laptop at the same time.

Kind of an extra function although I'm sure it would require more cost.
If you had a carputer couldn't you just use the USB? plug it into the carputer, and have a video card to get to your screen? I really don't know anything about carputers, but it sounds logical in my simple mind

Last edited by WTX350Z; 08-21-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:01 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

REQUEST: the ability to have a gauge display (in Cipher presumably) that can launch and connect and display previously configured channels automatically.

Being able to survive a standby and resume cycle would be nice also. Cipher could be a killer carPC application with very little effort.

I know this won't make it on the list, but I've been asking for years, so here goes: ability to read the TCM and run diagnostics like Consult II can for the 5AT.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

...and of course Cipher's gauges would look a whole lot slicker if they were in nice color layouts similar to a real dashboard... Like maybe a Lexus dash for instance...

Quick Reply: Uprev wants suggestions.