Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Cam Timing Tables

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam Timing Tables

Disclaimer: This is going to apply more to Revups and HR than to DE, and NA more so than boosted.

I know the general consensus regarding the cam timing tables is to let them be. I guess this is more of an academic inquiry if anything. The stock intake cam tables are pretty smooth, and seem to behave as expected based on any literature I've come across with regards to degreeing cams. The exhaust cam table doesn't look anything like that though.

Are there any conditional requirements for the intake cam advance i.e. not too much advance before a specific rpm due to oil pressure or anything like that?

IIRC the exhaust one isn't hydraulic, so I feel safer about that side.

HR max advance on intake seems to be 45 degrees and 30 degrees for the exhaust. The intake cam is pretty text book, but the exhaust cam gives the user a lot of flexibility in controlling the duration of overlap, or in the case of no overlap, the actual exhaust opening and closing periods. Has anyone actually messed with these at all, any results good or bad?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:57 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All I know is that intake cam advance is good for lower rpms and bad for higher rpms, but I'm still not entirely sure how boost changes things. Since I can't adjust my exhaust cams I never looked into that side much. I plan on some dyno time in a month or so where I'll play with intake timing a bit.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:32 AM
karletto66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually i see in my HR maps Intake cams up of 2 points in high fuel schedule, exaust up of 5 points...
As a fast note and not accurate measures of course !

An idea : why not open a discussion where everyone that is able and want to partecipate can write infos/impressions/tests about Uprev mapping ?
I see that quite a lot of "normal" people now has Tuner version so may be is the moment to have a "community" of this kund !

We can "support" ourself !
Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karletto66
Usually i see in my HR maps Intake cams up of 2 points in high fuel schedule, exaust up of 5 points...
As a fast note and not accurate measures of course !

An idea : why not open a discussion where everyone that is able and want to partecipate can write infos/impressions/tests about Uprev mapping ?
I see that quite a lot of "normal" people now has Tuner version so may be is the moment to have a "community" of this kund !

We can "support" ourself !
It's tough to justify changes without knowing what the effects are. Really a dyno would be necessary to make educated changes to cam timing. It also can't be done in real time.

MAF value is somewhat proportional to power output, so you can run a bunch of logs and compare values between different cam timings under the same load and RPM.