Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

The wait is over.....Stillen Header Dyno results!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 11:28 PM
jmaestre23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.......my hero lol i was actually gonna purchase the headers but i got 4.10 and nismo LSD first.....if your gonna stay all motor i recomend 4.10 or 3.9
Old 08-24-2008, 11:35 PM
infinite

I want to get them further down the road, when stillen stops sending out defective headers.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
jmaestre23

haha yeaa seriously if that happened to me i woulda blown up stillen jk lol....+1 on their customer service thoooo.....best bet is to wait also maybe other companies are ddeveloping headers for the HR maybe even longtubes =](dream on)
Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 PM
infinite

LOL... that's like keeping the hope that Greddy will release it's Turbo Kit for the HR.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peak350
But if you want plenty of reliability, you have options of improving many other things first.

I had cams in my last car, and it was great, but it had cold weather idle issues (at startup) among other things that made it annoying, our engines are much more sensitive than what my car had, I wouldn't dump 3k at it for the minimal gains. Nitrous would be more effective, less expensive, and about as dangerous.
Improper install, improper tuning, improper setup is what leads to situations such as this. No idea what kind of car you had, or what it was tuned on, etc. A properly selected/installed/tuned set of cams will not have ANY stalling, or any other driveability issues. Our engines are not "more sensitive" (I don't even know what that is even supposed to mean) than any other engine out there. It's an engine...if you want to make significant power on it, especially NA, cams become part of the equation by default. Whether they are worth it as a standalone mod is of course debatable, and that is up to the end user to decide for themselves. Cams are an integral part of the recipe.

Nitrous is certainly another path to go for those who want it, or even nitrous + cams, which would yield even greater results. Like anything else though, correct selection of components, install and tuning are the key to a successful nitrous install as well. At the end of the day though, it's not a zero sum game - for some, nitrous is just not a desirable way to make power (I know it's not for me, and while I'm sure I'd net huge gains, it's just not anything I want)
Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Improper install, improper tuning, improper setup is what leads to situations such as this. No idea what kind of car you had, or what it was tuned on, etc. A properly selected/installed/tuned set of cams will not have ANY stalling, or any other driveability issues.
as you said... PROPER TUNE. and I guess more a mod become "exotic", less are your chance to get it done right.

the 350z community goes for nitro or TT setups, or just basic bolt ons.
how many people have a NA full tune or built? you and kwame.. AFAIK. and how much time you spent in research, trial and error.. and get information from racing teams in japan with that kind of experience? (and racing is again a different game, because of regulation, what you can and can't do..)

that is a different story in the corvette community... cams are one of the popular mods.... you'll find a reliable shop able to install and tune it w/o any problems.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 AM
JZK

Originally Posted by A.H
Yea bro I had the same problem. Stillen rushed the headers and didn't test fit it on the car so the first set of headers they sold had the header hit the bottom of the stering column. Here is a thread I posted. https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/3794...er-defect.html It has a picture of the problem. As you turn left that bolt on the bottom hits the header making it hard to turn right and a hard left. They redesigned it so just call them up tell them about this, act pissed but polite and they will send out a new header and if your very lucky like me they will also pay for the install of the new header as they totally fcuked you and it not your fault. Just don't take their bs and make sure to talk to Kyle Millen. He's the only one that can get anything done. Hope this helps and you resolve your issue.

-Arsh
Alright thanks alot, im gonna go ahead and give them a call now
Old 08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
A.H

Originally Posted by JZK
Alright thanks alot, im gonna go ahead and give them a call now
LMK how the phone call goes bro. Good Luck

-Arsh
Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Anyone who thinks headers are not a worthwhile upgrade, as I have said before, is ****ing retarded.

That's a great increase in power/torque across the board. There's gains EVERYWHERE, some places seeing as much as +15whp/wtq. ****ing awesome man.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Improper install, improper tuning, improper setup is what leads to situations such as this. No idea what kind of car you had, or what it was tuned on, etc. A properly selected/installed/tuned set of cams will not have ANY stalling, or any other driveability issues. Our engines are not "more sensitive" (I don't even know what that is even supposed to mean) than any other engine out there. It's an engine...if you want to make significant power on it, especially NA, cams become part of the equation by default. Whether they are worth it as a standalone mod is of course debatable, and that is up to the end user to decide for themselves. Cams are an integral part of the recipe.

Nitrous is certainly another path to go for those who want it, or even nitrous + cams, which would yield even greater results. Like anything else though, correct selection of components, install and tuning are the key to a successful nitrous install as well. At the end of the day though, it's not a zero sum game - for some, nitrous is just not a desirable way to make power (I know it's not for me, and while I'm sure I'd net huge gains, it's just not anything I want)
I had an E36 328, put in E36 M3 cams (the exhaust had a little too much duration hence the cold start issues). The car had lower compression, a less aggressive tune, and any number of other things that made cams less volatile. The variable valve timing system on the HR is a much bigger pain to mess with than the old single vanos my BMW had.

I understand the importance of cams pretty well, the valve train, intake manifold, exhaust header, and combustion chamber shape are your 4 key players in making power NA. Most shops I wouldn't trust with installing the cams and getting a tune set up...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM
JZK

Wow. You can REALLY feel the power. Like the other person said before, the peak numbers aren't much, but holy s***. You can really feel the difference through out the whole powerband. I never would have thought these headers would create this much difference in power. I strongly recommend getting these headers as a bolt on upgrade, they are SICK. *Except for the defect, that blows.*
Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
A.H

Originally Posted by JZK
Wow. You can REALLY feel the power. Like the other person said before, the peak numbers aren't much, but holy s***. You can really feel the difference through out the whole powerband. I never would have thought these headers would create this much difference in power. I strongly recommend getting these headers as a bolt on upgrade, they are SICK. *Except for the defect, that blows.*
+10000
Old 08-26-2008, 03:01 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Peak350
I had an E36 328, put in E36 M3 cams (the exhaust had a little too much duration hence the cold start issues). The car had lower compression, a less aggressive tune, and any number of other things that made cams less volatile. The variable valve timing system on the HR is a much bigger pain to mess with than the old single vanos my BMW had.

I understand the importance of cams pretty well, the valve train, intake manifold, exhaust header, and combustion chamber shape are your 4 key players in making power NA. Most shops I wouldn't trust with installing the cams and getting a tune set up...
As I said, use the right part, and have it tuned properly, and such issues simply do not come up. While I realize it's often easier said than done, your issues were do significantly to the fact that some/all of these ingredients were missing. We have 2 BMW track cars, so I'm very familiar with the I6 engines, both M and non M series. The HR engine is really not anymore complex than any other engine out there when it comes down to it, and a natural evolution of the DE, which has been torn apart and modded significantly over the years. I understand what you mean about not trusting most shops. I've been there before over the years myself, which is why we do all the work to our own cars - I simply don't trust anyone else to touch the car, and am lucky that we have people in house that can do virtually anything needed (plus I have another car, so if it's not done on time, it's really not a big deal). In this community, crappy shops exist across the board, but we're also blessed with several very good shops throughout the country, who know these cars backwards and forwards. While they might be a touch more expensive if you're not local to them (travel/shipping costs), they reward their customers with a tech/service level that many enthusiast communities don't have at their disposal.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
warmmilk

^i was under the impression that you guys don't build customer cars anymore, is that right?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i know that DE headers will mate up with the HR with the only catch being you have to use DE style cats or test pipes. Might be able save quite a bit going that route instead of shelling out for overpriced HR headers and test pipes/hfcs
Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by warmmilk
^i was under the impression that you guys don't build customer cars anymore, is that right?
correct - been that way for years and years now - we only work on stuff we own in house

and damn my spelling errors!!! We NEED the edit buttons back!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
warmmilk

shame, you guys would be the ones i'd go to for a cam install (in the distant future)

btw, edit button works for me, and its been working, i never noticed it gone
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 PM
A.H

Originally Posted by Nexx
i know that DE headers will mate up with the HR with the only catch being you have to use DE style cats or test pipes. Might be able save quite a bit going that route instead of shelling out for overpriced HR headers and test pipes/hfcs
Could very possibly be a very smart idea. Either way these headers are awsome and the car is whole new beast with them. ALl you have to do is get over the peak gains and these are great.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:50 PM
JZK

This might sound weird but, I wanna see if your headers do it too. Does it sound as if you can hear the air flow through the headers from inside of your car, almost like a slight exhaust leak? I know it sounds weird but I swear I hear it. Also when i floor it, I feel as if I can hear the air flow through every single header tube at the higher rpm's. Like the pitch goes up and down when im accelerating, its weird.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
infinite

Originally Posted by JZK
This might sound weird but, I wanna see if your headers do it too. Does it sound as if you can hear the air flow through the headers from inside of your car, almost like a slight exhaust leak? I know it sounds weird but I swear I hear it. Also when i floor it, I feel as if I can hear the air flow through every single header tube at the higher rpm's. Like the pitch goes up and down when im accelerating, its weird.
I know what sound you're talking about... it's a snake sound lolz. I heard that on my other car when I installed a header

Quick Reply: The wait is over.....Stillen Header Dyno results!!!