VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Tomei Camshaft FOR VQ35HR

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ataru074
but you have to admit that isn't easy to find out what works and what doesn't.
not so many people have done that kind of job and actually even tested the reliability of the system (that is quite critical if you track the car).

because one thing is 3 or 4 dyno pull with the engine temperature stable... one thing is driving the **** out of the car on a road course starting with the engine mildly warm and ending up really hot, with all the associated changes in a/f, air density, timing adjustment to avoid knock and so on...

I agree that on a stock engine is pointless going with extreme cams or pure "competition cams" unless they are ground just to run on a stock block, with stock pistons and stock heads...

bottom line or you get the right information before starting the work.. or you'll spend way more money than buying immediately a newer and more powerful car.

you cannot beat the factory or the factory official racing team (if there is a class involving that car and that engine)
I'd respectfully disagree to a certain extent, and here is why

You're not dealing with joe-blow's cam company. Tomei has a reputation that dates back to when the S30 was a new car. Their experience speaks for itself, as does the quality of the product. If this were some flybynight firm touting their cams as the second coming, that would be one thing. This is one instance where taking the quality and performance of the product as a given, is a good way to go

I do agree though that it can be sometimes difficult to make the right choices, but at this point, there are a few of us with full revup and non revup builds to go by. Some cursory research in those threads will yield a wealth of information, and certainly enough to make a truly educated decision from.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-07-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 PM
JK_HRZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

I do agree though that it can be sometimes difficult to make the right choices, but at this point, there are a few of us with full revup and non revup builds to go by. Some cursory research in those threads will yield a wealth of information, and certainly enough to make a truly educated decision from.
Wish I could research but there are no HR's with cams on this forum from what I have searched.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yes stock valves are fine

true, there are no built HR's, but there are built revups and built DE's - the basic architecture of the engine has been consistant, so it's fairly easy to draw reasonable conclusions
Old 07-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Ataru074

I'd respectfully disagree to a certain extent, and here is why

You're not dealing with joe-blow's cam company. Tomei has a reputation that dates back to when the S30 was a new car. Their experience speaks for itself, as does the quality of the product. If this were some flybynight firm touting their cams as the second coming, that would be one thing. This is one instance where taking the quality and performance of the product as a given, is a good way to go

you missed my point.. tomei IS the cam company for the Z.. period, I agree.
I was just "reinforcing" the concept that a "full race spec" cam isn't the best choice for a pretty stock engine.
you guys got some experiencing building your car... no doubt about that.
but at the end you cannot validate or not engine configurations different from yours.
where the factory, and mainly factory or factory sponsored racing team are unbeatable is the reasearch...
so if tomei says that 264 cams are better fit for a pretty much stock engine, it is.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:20 PM
JK_HRZ

true, there are no built HR's, but there are built revups and built DE's - the basic architecture of the engine has been consistant, so it's fairly easy to draw reasonable conclusions
Yes you are absolutely right, But I searched and havent seen anyone run just the 272/10.8 cams and every other internal stock..
Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
warmmilk

^what he means my more head work is stuff like valve jobs, porting & polishing. you'll also want a really nice set of headers for cams this aggresive... to my knowledge, there is nothing on the market right now...

thats part of his point, if you're gonna get cams that aggresive, you should do more work to the engine to see their full benefit, otherwise your results could be really disappointing

Last edited by warmmilk; 07-07-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:30 PM
JK_HRZ

Originally Posted by warmmilk

thats part of his point, if you're gonna get cams that aggresive, you should do more work to the engine to see their full benefit, otherwise your results could be really disappointing
But there aren't any other aftermarket internals for HR's from what I've searched..
Old 07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
JK_HRZ

Alright, then it looks like I'm going to be getting the 272/10.8 (in/ex) cams and 11.0mm lift valve springs from you Z1.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
biggersNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

warmmilk, do you think the Stillen headers i already have on my car are enough to handle the aggressive 272/10.8 cams? Or would it be wise to get someone to make some custom headers instead?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM
warmmilk

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/4424...turbo-hrs.html

^this guys is getting pistons and rods spec'd for him by injected perf. you could call them and see what they can do for you.

headwork mentioned can still be done...
warmmilk

Originally Posted by biggersNISMO
warmmilk, do you think the Stillen headers i already have on my car are enough to handle the aggressive 272/10.8 cams? Or would it be wise to get someone to make some custom headers instead?
i really doubt it, but i'm far from an expert. adam from z1 would be a much better fit to answer this question
JK_HRZ

Originally Posted by biggersNISMO
If your asking if the headers will the handle the power without cracking and being reliable, they're fine.

If your asking if the headers are going to restrict airflow because of the greater airflow coming out of the engine, im not sure.

Last edited by JK_HRZ; 07-07-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ataru074
you missed my point.. tomei IS the cam company for the Z.. period, I agree.
I was just "reinforcing" the concept that a "full race spec" cam isn't the best choice for a pretty stock engine.
you guys got some experiencing building your car... no doubt about that.
but at the end you cannot validate or not engine configurations different from yours.
where the factory, and mainly factory or factory sponsored racing team are unbeatable is the reasearch...
so if tomei says that 264 cams are better fit for a pretty much stock engine, it is.
I'm with ya then

here is my summarized take on it all

if you're looking for more of a high end NA setup, without building a bottom end, the 272 would be a nice choice. With the right header (I can't say if stillen fits the bill or not as I don't really know anything about it), and the right state of tune, coupled with headwork, it would be, without question, a killer setup that would dwarf my car (IMHO). But for the guy who wants to do the cams, without having to invest the big dollars into the headwork, the 264 would be my suggestion, as it will give you the best of all worlds
Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 PM
biggersNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Good way to stop the "beating around the bush"

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
JK_HRZ

I'm with ya then

here is my summarized take on it all

if you're looking for more of a high end NA setup, without building a bottom end, the 272 would be a nice choice. With the right header (I can't say if stillen fits the bill or not as I don't really know anything about it), and the right state of tune, coupled with headwork, it would be, without question, a killer setup that would dwarf my car (IMHO). But for the guy who wants to do the cams, without having to invest the big dollars into the headwork, the 264 would be my suggestion, as it will give you the best of all worlds
Which setup is more reliable considering all other internals are stock? 264/10.8 or the 272/10.8?
If the 264 / 10.8 is safer, why?

What would make more power? 264/10.8 vs. 272/10.8?

I plan on getting a tune and 11.0mm valve springs as well for my setup, whichever route that is.

Last edited by JK_HRZ; 07-07-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I think I addressed all those questions already in my last post, coupled with all the rest of the info posted in this thread
Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
JK_HRZ

Correct me if I'm wrong..

The specs for oem VQ35DE camshafts are: 238/9.2 intake & 240/9.2 exhaust

Brian Crower stage 2 cams for VQ35DE are 264/10.4 intake & 264/10.4 exhaust.
Thats an increase of 26 duration and 1.2mm of lift each camshaft. The BC stage 2 cams have slight lope but idle does not need to be increased.

Now, VQ35HR OEM Camshaft specs are 248/10.5 intake & 248/10.5 exhaust.

The VQ35HR Tomei Camshafts I plan on getting are 272/10.8 intake & 272/10.8 exhaust. That's an increase of 24 duration and 0.3mm of lift each camshaft.

Now my question is: How rough is idle going to be with the 272 tomei cams? Will I have to increase idle, or will there only be a slight lope? I'm asking because my current EMS cannot raise idle, but can add/reduce fuel.

VQ35DE: OEM camshafts [238/9.2 & 240/9.2]
VQ35DE: BC Camshafts [264/10.4 & 264/10.4] slight lope

VQ35HR: OEM Camshafts [248/10.8 & 248/10.8]
VQ35HR: Tomei Camshafts [272/10.8 & 272/10.8] ? lope
Old 07-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

idle will need to be raised (can be done via a flash), and you'll need to alter the cam timing at idle as well

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-09-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM
JK_HRZ

Alright thanks.

What about the 264's? How will the lope / idle be on those?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

there is no way for me, nor anyone else, to answer that

lope has alot to do with alot of things - duration is only a part of it

with any cam on a VQ, it's safe to say you need to bump the idle. The more radical cams will also need the vtc angles adjusted. More duration = less vacuum. Less vacuum = need to raise idle

Quick Reply: Tomei Camshaft FOR VQ35HR