Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

How to get 300whp+ on a HR

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Lakeside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're not talking a Huge expense!!! $600 or could be a cheap skate and go 409 for $480! Install is not difficult. Anyone with some mechanical aptitude can handle it. Not talking rocket science here.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by brady
Not to sure where you're getting your numbers from but I'm of the mind that every hp I can squeeze out of it is valuable. Headers and cats are worth it.

If you think $1,300 for 15whp is pricey wait till you see what I have to pay for the next NA 15whp
Like I said a few posts prior......I am willing to bet that most of those gains can be attributed to hfc's. To say otherwise is being as equally speculative as I am being.

I'm clearly aware of the cost to gain NA power.

Out of curiosity.....any of these people with 300+ whp HR's ever go to the track?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Lakeside

I won't drag my Nismo! Thats ghey... lol

I would like to take the car to Watkins Glen sometime. Maybe next year!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:12 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Lakeside
I won't drag my Nismo! Thats ghey... lol

I would like to take the car to Watkins Glen sometime. Maybe next year!
Shouldn't you learn to drive straight before taking corners .
Old 09-09-2009, 03:38 AM
brady

Track it as often as possible (road course and strip). Gets harder to get out as a young family puts more pressure on your time.

Either way with my new found power I'm hoping to get really close to 110mph trap speeds and dangerously close to 12's. I think I'm currently 7th in the top 25 HR modded.

How about you?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by brady
Track it as often as possible (road course and strip). Gets harder to get out as a young family puts more pressure on your time.

Either way with my new found power I'm hoping to get really close to 110mph trap speeds and dangerously close to 12's. I think I'm currently 7th in the top 25 HR modded.

How about you?
Yeah.....quite a bit in the spring and fall. Summer here is useless because the DA's are 2500+ most days. I will be taking it out on DR's for the first time this weekend. We'll see.

I've trapped as high as 106.3 with temps in the low 80's (probably 50-60% humidity). I can't wait for the cold dry air to move in.

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 09-09-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
so.........0whp gain vs 3whp gain........not worth it.
more like 5-10 with gains through out the whole rev range. you also gotta remember that just cause you only gain 3 peak whp doesn't mean that you didnt' gain 10 else where through out the powerband. average power is more important than peak...
Old 09-09-2009, 12:50 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

*sigh*......believe what you wish...it's your money.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Lakeside

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
*sigh*......believe what you wish...it's your money.
We have a troll among us! Dude when have you made a positive comment in an HR engine thread?! You don't even own an HR.. Your a DE hatin on HR peeps & their Dyno's! Move along.

You would be lucky to make HR #'s with a DE! I haven't seen one yet that does without a full engine build. Post up your Dyno's! Curious to see now after reading all your bashings.

When you make that comment in your Sig what #'s are you refering to?! Stock HR dyno WHP #'s? Or Full Bolt-on HR #'s?

Last edited by Lakeside; 09-09-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

That's not true.....I gave brady props for his comparison and found it informing. I had a few positive things to say in your little bolt-on thread. I just don't like to see people spend money only to be disappointed. Like I said though.....it's your money, do with it what you please. When I get back I will pm you one of my dyno's when I get home from work. I maxed out my bandwith on photobucket posting up fail gifs in the Lawchick fail thread. I fall kind of in the middle b/w a full-bolt-on HR and stock. The reason I asked for the people to run at the track was I was curious to see some bolt-on HR traps, etc. See how your added power converts to the track. There are seemingly a bunch of you in the 285-300 range, but very few who have run.

The other reason I post in here from time to time is I like ALL 350's.....I have no preference to ANY year, model, or engine. I fully recognize the potential of the HR powerplant. Which is why when SOLO said you won't break 300 on a dynojet I disagreed. Look to your own for the real troll.

Also, I don't like people to be disappointed when they only make ~290 because they see you, A.H, and others who run on "magical" (solo's word not mine), and don't understand why they don't make ~320. Like I said earlier, I spoke to a nice guy with an HR, who made 310-315 on the same dyno as you (can't remember exactly), but was only running 101mph traps at the track. That is clearly indicative that he is NOT making those power levels. Even a 1st time drag racer should be able to pull 105 minimum with that power regardless of the weather conditions.

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 09-09-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Lakeside

I recall there being a couple HR's in the Drag forum with #'s. There's also a GTM TT Nismo with 1/4 & 1/8 mile #'s.

I refuse to drag my car! Pointless IMO to drag a nismo. The aero kit creates alot of drag. My sole purpose in building a NA nismo is for my enjoyment and the hopes of tracking it at Watkins Glen but I never seem to make it. My summers are occupied racing for the APBA/IJSBA in sport Mod class & running closed course bouys with a local team.

I will do Cams over the winter! I'd like to see someone else's #'s but that doesn't seem likely so I maybe the 1st with results. Time will tell.

I'd also like to see this thread stay productive! Seems like it was taking a turn for the worst with some bashing.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:02 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I recall there being a couple HR's in the Drag forum with #'s. There's also a GTM TT Nismo with 1/4 & 1/8 mile #'s.

I refuse to drag my car! Pointless IMO to drag a nismo. The aero kit creates alot of drag. My sole purpose in building a NA nismo is for my enjoyment and the hopes of tracking it at Watkins Glen but I never seem to make it. My summers are occupied racing for the APBA/IJSBA in sport Mod class & running closed course bouys with a local team.

I will do Cams over the winter! I'd like to see someone else's #'s but that doesn't seem likely so I maybe the 1st with results. Time will tell.

I'd also like to see this thread stay productive! Seems like it was taking a turn for the worst with some bashing.
Agreed.....which is why I said I would PM you .

I don't think you should "refuse" to drag your car. It is still fun after all (and much cheaper).

I'm a speed boat fan, but don't know the first thing about it. Certainly seems like a ton of fun in those events I have seen.

I wish you the best of luck on the future build........being a pioneer is fun and helpful to the community as a whole. I have been waiting for 2+ years for someone to tackle a genuine NA build on an HR.

I have some hopes to take my car out for some HPDE's, but currently the car is not anywhere near set-up for such events.

P.S. How do you like your Hipermax III's (are they sports)?

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 09-09-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Lakeside

I am not going extreme. I do wish to boost the car but not just yet. I think Cams will be as far as I go. Nothing to agressive 264 grind or so. I gotta call Adam @ Z1 and order them up after seeing what he recommends doing.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I am not going extreme. I do wish to boost the car but not just yet. I think Cams will be as far as I go. Nothing to agressive 264 grind or so. I gotta call Adam @ Z1 and order them up after seeing what he recommends doing.
Adam/Z1 is all WIN. Good guys and great service. He'll set you up right. Well even someone just doing cams should interesting to see.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Lakeside

The Hypermax III's are Awesome! I need togo a couple more clicks. Not quite as firm in the corner's as I would like yet. I started at 15 clicks which is dead center. I think I need to be around 7-9 clicks out.

They are Ummmm not the sports. The sports are a stiffer ride i think?! I bought them from Andy from Performance Nissan of Duarte. I wanted them to be trackable but also streetable!!! I am very happy with them. No nasty bump steer etc etc on the street. Nice smooth ride.. Takes the ON/Off ramps at speed no prob
Old 09-09-2009, 02:31 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

The Hypermax III's are Awesome! I need togo a couple more clicks. Not quite as firm in the corner's as I would like yet. I started at 15 clicks which is dead center. I think I need to be around 7-9 clicks out.

They are Ummmm not the sports. The sports are a stiffer ride i think?! I bought them from Andy from Performance Nissan of Duarte. I wanted them to be trackable but also streetable!!! I am very happy with them. No nasty bump steer etc etc on the street. Nice smooth ride.. Takes the ON/Off ramps at speed no prob
That's good to know. The sports are stiffer. I am just gauging opinions on suspensions parts for the eventual expensive endeavor that is upgrading the brakes/suspension.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Lakeside

I posted up some pics & created an album finally on this forum. Had to resize my pics! Sucked ***... Site wouldn't automatically do it as they claim.

I will indeed being going with 264 Tomei cams. I should be ordering them within the next month. Would be cool if I can squeeze this in before winter storage time.

edit: Its going to be tight! 4-5weeks for shipping. I wouldn't have till Mid November. This maybe a spring project Will keep everyone posted. Not looking to order till Oct 1st

Last edited by Lakeside; 09-10-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
biggersNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ anything else besides the cams?
bro, i can't wait
Old 09-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Lakeside

Originally Posted by biggersNISMO
^^ anything else besides the cams?
bro, i can't wait
I plan to do a Zex Nitrous kit over the winter. Will need to have another profile created on the Uprev. Curious to learn how you scroll using the cruise control functions.

If anyone has more info on that? I am interested in learning more. How does that work without accidently switching tunes while cruising on the highway?!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to do a Zex Nitrous kit over the winter. Will need to have another profile created on the Uprev. Curious to learn how you scroll using the cruise control functions.

If anyone has more info on that? I am interested in learning more. How does that work without accidently switching tunes while cruising on the highway?!
You switch between them while holding cancel and switching up and down on the cruise button. The light on the dash will blink a number of times to tell you which map you are on. For me its 1 blink for my tune, and 2 blinks for the valet mode.

Quick Reply: How to get 300whp+ on a HR