Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Rotor and pad install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 PM
DZeckhausen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westpak
I said WHEELS not ROTORS. I assumed he was reffering to the little bolt on the front of the front rotors that is there so the rear wheels wont fit on the front specially since he said he has only done the fronts so far.
There's a bolt on the front rotor that interferes if you attempt to install the rear wheel up front? I thought the rotor retaining screw was flush against the hub face. In other words, it's countersunk. Am I missing something here?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:42 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
There's a bolt on the front rotor that interferes if you attempt to install the rear wheel up front? I thought the rotor retaining screw was flush against the hub face. In other words, it's countersunk. Am I missing something here?
This is the screw I am talking about on the front rotor.
Attached Thumbnails Rotor and pad install-img_1481.jpg   Rotor and pad install-img_1482.jpg  
Old 06-03-2005, 02:01 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by westpak
This is the screw I am talking about on the front rotor.
Now I see what you're talking about. I'm sorry for misreading your earlier post and thinking you were talking about rotors instead of wheels! You are, in fact, correct. This bolt does not serve a rotor retaining function. It can be removed and discarded. I stand corrected.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Nico Suave

I'm having a hell of a time removing the rear rotor, and I didn't find a retaining screw that was referred to. Where is it? The parking brake is released, but the rotor still won't come off.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:21 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Nico Suave
I'm having a hell of a time removing the rear rotor, and I didn't find a retaining screw that was referred to. Where is it? The parking brake is released, but the rotor still won't come off.
The rear rotors have a tight fit on the inner diameter to the hug, the hub has a raised lip so you have to work the rotor back and forth until it comes lose, you might have to tap it with a rubber mallet to work it lose. Try holding like at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle it back and forth.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Nico Suave

Finally got it, a little WD-40 and the mallet.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:45 AM
KManZ
Banned

The rear rotors were so much easier than the fronts to install in my opinion. For some reason it took me about half the time to install the rears than it did to do the fronts.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:10 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by KManZ
The rear rotors were so much easier than the fronts to install in my opinion. For some reason it took me about half the time to install the rears than it did to do the fronts.
Usually it is the opposite but not everyone has the rears so tight.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Z_Factor

Default Can't get my rear rotor off.

I have read this entire thread a couple of times and have already swapped out my front rotors and pads with no problems. However, when I got to my left rear wheel, I cannot for the life of me get the rotor off. I have shaken, twisted and beat (with a rubber mallet) the he** out of it and it won't budge. I had my parking brake off and had the 6MT in neutral and still nothing. I talked to a friend of mine who said I need to adjust the parking brake and it will come off. Well I removed the rubber plug and found the adjustment wheel and I clicked it for a while. It did not seem to make a difference and the DAMN thing won't come off.

However, I gave up for the day and when I went to set the parking brake for the night it barley came up so I guess I adjusted it the wrong way. I plan to get up tomorrow and adjust the wheel a whole bunch the other way and see if the STUPID rotor will budge. However, if anyone has any other suggestions PLEASE let me know. Just so you know I have already removed the caliper, the pads and the bracket that holds the caliper. So the rotor is just sitting there and it WON'T COME OFF.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Nico Suave

Spray it with some wd40 and leave it sit for a while to soak in. Just make sure you don't spray any on the contact surfaces.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:17 AM
Z_Factor

FINALLY!!! The rear rotor finally came off. I spoke with another club member (350Z Club of Florida) and he used to do brake jobs for a living. He told me I had to stop playing around with the rubber mallet and beat on the rotor even from the front side (I had only been trying to hit the rotor from the rear where there was a space open because of the protector shield). So within 10 minutes it came loose. I also sprayed a little WD40 around the edges of the hub (was pretty rusty looking). Thanks Nico Suave. Anyway finished the install and then went to the right side and again within 10 minutes had the rotor off. I guess it was just a matter of not being afraid to really hit it . So I have installed new rotors and the NISMO brake pads. I went out and burned the pads in (per the instructions from NISMO) and all seems good. Can't wait to see how these pads perform. Plan to do a track event at the Gainesville Raceway the end of this month for Z Fest. Thanks again for the great thread and help. Z Ya!