Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

What is so bad about ADR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 07:15 PM
joeshow750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is so bad about ADR?

I've been wrestling over how much I want to spend on new wheels/tires. I don't want to spend more than 2k$ because it looks like it's gonna cost another 10k$ or so for a quality FI setup. Anyway, I found that ADR offers a couple of solutions to my problem; ADR M-Sport, ADR Version II. Both are staggered with a deep lip, which I want. Of course, I here alot of people that question the quality of ADR products...they bend, they break on impact. What is your opinion of ADR? And your opinion of the M-Sport and Version II. You can view these wheels HERE . Here's better pic of the Version II . Here's the M-Sport on the Z . Thanks for the input.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:35 AM
MATIX

Thumbs down

One thing I dont like about ADR is that all there rim designs arent even their own, theyr stolen from ohter rim manufacturers and made into a cheaper looking copy.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:58 AM
del105
15 f125

man just buy some bbs center caps and pop them on the ADRs
Old 03-16-2003, 06:22 AM
del105
15 f125

Lol now that i made that joke I'm actually seriously considering those ADR wheels I had no idea they were so cheap.

At that price who cares if they bend you can replace them so cheap.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:29 AM
del105
15 f125

VQracer,
I'm sure they are not that bad quality so if you have to replace a couple at 250 a pop you are still spending less then half as much for the equivalent bbs wheels. Not to mention if they never break your spending like a third as much. It makes perfect sense to me.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:01 AM
joeshow750

VQ, del,
I see both of your guys' logic. I don't want to keep replacing wheels, but then what are the chances of the ADR wheels bending. When you guys talk about the rim bending, you don't mean ADR rims will possibly bend without some sort of trauma/force being applied to them? I mean, the ADR won't bend from just normal use? You're gonna have to hit a curb or dip to make them bend, right?
Old 03-16-2003, 10:10 AM
joeshow750

One thing I dont like about ADR is that all there rim designs arent even their own, theyr stolen from ohter rim manufacturers and made into a cheaper looking copy.
Yeah, that's true, they do rip their designs off. Although, I think the two designs that I have the links to at the top of the post look pretty good. I know they are not forged, nor are they a three-piece design, but they seem to look very similar to more expensive wheels/designs.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:36 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

How about weight? Are they similar to the wheels they look like?
Old 03-16-2003, 10:49 AM
joeshow750

How about weight? Are they similar to the wheels they look like?
I highly doubt they are as light as the more expensive three-piece forged designs, but I don't know for sure.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:18 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I guess that was more rhetorical than actual question, I assumed that they were heavier, too. Just curious by how much.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:43 AM
NissaNZ

How about some American Racing rims, hehe. Trust me, if you're gonna get a set of rims then put in the extra money and get a quality set that will last.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:51 AM
joeshow750

I guess that was more rhetorical than actual question, I assumed that they were heavier, too. Just curious by how much.
I'm curious by how much too.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:56 AM
joeshow750

How about some American Racing rims, hehe. Trust me, if you're gonna get a set of rims then put in the extra money and get a quality set that will last.
What do you mean by "trust me?" Have you had a bad experience or something that you want to share? When you say get a set that will last, what is it about the ADRs that will not last...finish, paint, polish, shape (bending), etc.? Thanks for the input.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:34 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 18x8.5 ADR M-sports weight 23lbs a piece....not too bad for the price
the 18x9.5 rears weight 24lbs.

I'm getting a set for my car...you can't beat just over a grand for a set of 4 deep lip style 18inch rims.

As for quality. I know a few guys that have ADR rims...2 sets on Zs and they love them. No problems at all. I think some guys are just sore because they took it up the *** and paid over 4 grand for a wheel/tire package.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:08 AM
MATIX

you can get 19" volks with tires for right around 3 grand, who payed over 4 grand for their rims?? The way I see it if yer gonna drive a 30 thousand dollar car, why get cheap when it comes to the rims, its a high quality car, so put high quality parts on it such as rims, susp, perf mods, etc...
Old 04-24-2003, 10:58 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by MATIX
you can get 19" volks with tires for right around 3 grand, who payed over 4 grand for their rims?? The way I see it if yer gonna drive a 30 thousand dollar car, why get cheap when it comes to the rims, its a high quality car, so put high quality parts on it such as rims, susp, perf mods, etc...
3 grand is nearly DOUBLE what I'm going to pay for my 18in package.

Going with the ADRs is NOT "getting cheap" there are plenty of "cheap" 18in wheels out there for well under $200 a wheel.

You talk about quality, but from what I've read on here you have never owned even one ADR wheel and cannot speak from personal experience about the quality of them.

As I see it, the percieved "quality" of the Z is right about in line with the percieved "quality" of a set of ADR rims. They both "try" to be like the big boys, but have to cut corners in certain places to keep their prices down.

Personally I think that paying a premium just for a "name brand" rim (or anything for that matter) is stupid, I'm going to buy what I like for a reasonable price and enjoy it. Isn't that why we got our Zs in the first place?? Sure you could go drop 50 grand on a Porsche Boxter S and you'd then have a mighty Porsche...but is it really worth it for the little sheild on the front of your car instead of the Nissan symbol?
Old 04-24-2003, 12:00 PM
MATIX

volk rims are forged, ADR's are not...and ADR is notorious for copying other rim companies and stealing the design...I'll stick with the lighter and stronger original design.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:04 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are approimatly 5-6lbs more than a typical forged rim of that same size I think. a substantial amount, but also a substantial decrease in price, since they are about 1000 and a set of forged will be atleast 2grand.

to say that 20lbs of unsprung weight is worthless is not fair either tho. people spend 6-700$ for a carbon fiber hood to drop 10lbs of sprung weight.

whatever you can afford and plan for your car. they are not the best, obviously, but they are cheaper. thats the end of story, I can accept that I paid double what those cost for lighter rims. and Im sure those that want those thing Im crazy for doing that. different roads for different people.

the fact that they are a ripoff of other designs is kinda shady in my opinion. but a rim is a rim.

tires are mute point, not an issue, same size, same cost either way.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:30 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by MATIX
volk rims are forged, ADR's are not...and ADR is notorious for copying other rim companies and stealing the design...I'll stick with the lighter and stronger original design.
Do I really give a rats *** if ADR "copies" other designs? Seems like that's just about your only argument here...and that's pretty weak. As for the weight...I can deal with the weight...hell, they are still lighter than the stock rims. As for wheel strength, that's a load of crap. If you hit a curb or go through a deep pothole hard enough or fast enough to bend a rim....you're pretty much going to bend any rim. End of story.

Fact is that ADR's are a middel of the road rim, for my "middle of the road sports car", someday when I have enough money for my 911 turbo, I'll get some sweet *** expensive BBS rims or something, until then, I'll be happy with what I have.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:35 PM
MATIX

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Do I really give a rats *** if ADR "copies" other designs? Seems like that's just about your only argument here...and that's pretty weak. As for the weight...I can deal with the weight...hell, they are still lighter than the stock rims. As for wheel strength, that's a load of crap. If you hit a curb or go through a deep pothole hard enough or fast enough to bend a rim....you're pretty much going to bend any rim. End of story.

Fact is that ADR's are a middel of the road rim, for my "middle of the road sports car", someday when I have enough money for my 911 turbo, I'll get some sweet *** expensive BBS rims or something, until then, I'll be happy with what I have.
my only argument?? volks being lighter and stronger is my main argument, which is a pretty valid one...thats fine you want cheaper rims, but dont knock people saying "theyr just sore they took it up the ***" because they want high quality rims that are lighter and stronger than cheaper imitations...and as far as middle of the road rim for a midle of the road car, volks are high quality japanese rims made for high quality japanese sports cars such as the Z.

Quick Reply: What is so bad about ADR?