Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric: the latest rage

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric: the latest rage

The tires display really quick turn-in. Undoubtedly due in part to the reinforced sidewalls, the F1 Asymmetrics don't roll into corners so much as cut into them. It actually takes a few turns to get accustomed to their crispness. Grip and stability are very good.

Reference: http://blogs.motortrend.com/6219186/...ear/index.html

In dry conditions, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric proved fastest of
the group. Plenty of overall grip and a neutral front/rear balance
made this tire easy to drive quickly and at its limit.
In the wet, the Goodyear again finished ahead of the other three
tires in this test, this time by a wider margin.

Reference: http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...17012008-1.htm

Goodyear's new-for-the-U.S. Eagle F1 Asymmetric tire is sticky and quiet. It sits next to the company’s Eagle F1 GS-D3

Reference: http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4228612.html
Old 02-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ David, Thanks for posting this useful and interesting information.

I’m running the Eagle F1 GS-D3 which I like for their great grip (dry and wet roadways) and comfortable ride. My only criticism is a slight “wiggly” feel (that I mostly notice at the rear). I passed this off as a compromise of the softer sidewalls for the sake of a more comfortable ride.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric has the same grip quality (and even the comfortable ride of the F1 GS-D3), but adds progressive rigidity. In other words the sidewalls stiffen when applying lateral force. That sounds too good to be true.

I definitely want to do a test drive with these new tires.

--Spike
Old 02-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are expensive.

I ran the eagle F1s and while they had good grip I did not like the road feel and in anything less than 70 degree weather traction was not so great. these looked really good,,, but too expensive for my taste.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Spike100

I doubt Davidv will say much more on this/his thread. His style is simply stating the facts and not engaging in the vague/ inaccurate discussions/points that sometimes happen here.

But, I enjoy pursuing the information others post.

I’m not sure this message/point is entirely correct:
Originally Posted by Motormouth
they are expensive.

I ran the eagle F1s and while they had good grip I did not like the road feel and in anything less than 70 degree weather traction was not so great. these looked really good,,, but too expensive for my taste.
For sure, they are expensive tires, but your comment (“I ran the eagle F1s and while they had good grip I did not like the road feel and in anything less than 70 degree weather traction was not so great.”) isn’t my experience with these tires. In fact these tires are designed to heat well and consistently on any roadway that is a few degrees above freezing. It happens because friction causes the tire’s compound to heat to optimum performance rather quickly. Of course, if the roadway is frozen or nearly so, this tire suffers from the same problem that any summer-performance tire exhibits in cold weather (i.e., the tire’s compound hardens to the point it will no longer provide optimum grip).

With this said, I think you are missing David’s point all together. His intention isn’t to create a debate about grip in varying temperatures or the cost of a tire. He is simply describing a new paradigm: A summer-performance tire that grips well on dry or wet roadways, has a quiet and soft ride, but maintains a solid feel when tuning-in sharply by implementing a progressively responsive sidewall-stiffening structure. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric has all the good characteristics of the Eagle F1 GS-D3, but adds a significant improvement.

--Spike
Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 PM
hiz-n-herz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, rub it in, David

These come out three months and 1500 miles after I buy my F1 GS-D3s, which, it turns out, I can't stand.

The sidewall on the GS-D3 is just too soft for my taste. My wife's 40-series re050a pole positions have better turn in than the GS-D3 in a 35 series (same widths)

Going from the RE050a to the F1 GS-D3's was just a let-down. Handling is mushy, imprecise, and numb now. They do grip, but I hate the soft sidewalls.

I may just replace them soon. I'd consider the asymetric, but it does not appear to come in the sizes I want (255/35/19, 275/35/19), so I'll probably go PS2 - my wallet hurts just thinking about it.

Oh, plus the rim protectors on the GD-D3 are just for looks! I had a very slight, slow-speed run-in with a curb and my rim got scraped - this is with a 255 on a 9-inch rim. I had a similar incodent with the OEM GT wheels/tires on the rear 265 on a 10" rim and the rims did not get touched at all. So part of my tire selection criteria moving forward includes - how effective is the rim protector. - I know these are not supposed to be idiot-proof, but they offered ZERO protection for the rim. Maybe partially due to the weak sidewall and the fact that these tires run VERY narrow.

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 02-12-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Spike100

It looks as though the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric solves your “soft sidewall” issue with the F1 GS-D3.

But the rim protector issue… that remains a problem. I agree with you; a tire should provide better protection for the rim.

BTW: Did you decide to repair the curb-rash?

--Spike
Old 02-16-2008, 12:53 AM
hiz-n-herz

I'm gonna DIY repair the curb rash, I just need to order some polishing supplies. If I can't fix it, I can always take it to a shop or try to find a new wheel to buy.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Spike100

Your wheels (with the polished rim and black spokes) look just great on your Redline. I understand your pain: Experiencing the curb rash with such a good looking wheel/tire/car-color combo.

I really think tire manufacturers could (should) do a better job providing an esthetic and better rim protector. Looking at your excellent pics, it’s obvious that the Eagle’s rim protector is too far away from the wheel’s rim-edge. If the Eagle tire had a little more protuberance on the rim protector, and positioned the rib closer to the wheel’s rim, I think there would have been less (if any) damage.

If you do the DIY on the repair, and whether or not it works, please post your experiences with this project. I’m certain there are members who would appreciate a write-up.

--Spike
Old 02-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

I'm running the F1 GS-D3 for the 1st time. So far, grip seems pretty good even in rain. I'm really liking it for a daily driver street tire. I haven't pushed them hard in the dry yet, or AutoX'ed on them, so can't comment on that just yet.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Interesting read. Sounds like an impressive tire and a viable alternative to the Bridgestone RE050A and Michelin PS2. However, the F1 Assymetric currently has very few sizes available. Just checked Tire Rack and the largest 18" size is 265/40-18 and the largest 19" size is 275/30-19.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 02-17-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Spike100

^^ I notice the same thing (limited sizes) about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric.

There are adequate choices (Eagle F1 Asymmetric) in sizes for the Z’s front tires, but hardly any for the rear. In fact, there is no size (Overall Diameter) appropriate for a 19” wheel and the Z’s rear at all. And, as to width on the rear: There’s no 275/40-18” or 275/35-19” (or wider) size, which is a fairly “tame” size for the Z.

My guess is that Goodyear produces the Eagle F1 Asymmetric in very specific sizes hoping to entice high-end car makers (e.g., Porsche, BMW, etc.) with an OEM replacement for the more expensive Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Of course, I’m guessing here. But if I’m correct, good luck with that one.

--Spike
Old 02-17-2008, 07:25 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Wink

^ Exactly. They need to offer larger sizes, and this was the reason I didn't even consider the F1 Assymetric when I recently chose tires for my new wheel/tire setup.

I'm not sure about them trying to get the Porsche OEM market though, since most Porsche models run very large rear tires. For example, the size I'm currently running on the rear is 305/30-19 on a 19 x 11 wheel. I wanted to get the Michelin PS2 for my new wheels, but I discovered that the 305/30-19 size of the PS2 is a Porsche OEM tire and is currently on "eternal backorder" as I've been told. Both Tire Rack and Discount Tire didn't have them and couldn't get them. Intense Motorsports even called a local Porsche dealership and was told that they have customers on a waiting list for that size of the PS2.

So I got the Bridgestone RE050A in the same size instead. My G came with the RE050A as OEM and I was very happy with them. Excellent dry grip and steering response/handling. So I have no regrets getting them in the larger sizes I wanted.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Alang35

the lack of a 35 profile in the rear means this isnt a choice for us with common aftermarket sizes we have the same problem with contisport contact 3's as well