Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Slow Leak Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Slow Leak Diagnosis

When I put my summer wheels/tires on in late March I noticed the rear driver side tire appeared to be bulging out a bit, so I went around and checked all the tire pressures. I found the other three tires to be around 30 psi, but that tire was around 12 psi. So I filled all four tires up to about 35 psi and have been keeping my eye on that tire ever since. Now I check it once every 5 days or so and it seems to loose about 4-5 psi between checks. It doesn't seem to be affecting the way the car handles (I have not been pushing it very hard) but its worrisome anyway. When I had the car in for an oil change over the weekend I had then check the tire for leaks or screws/nails (which I had already done) and they didn't find anything. Does anyone have any suggestions for what it could be? I am refraining from going on any extended road trips until I get this figured out.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Why don't you just take it to a tire store and have them check the tire. I'm sure they can find a slow leak. An alternative might be to take the wheel off the car and spray the entire tire with Windex. You should be able to find the leak that way.

Les
Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Manu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need is a vat big enough to dunk the entire wheel in water. Just follow the bubbles. Tires shop will usually have one of these vats.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Master Shake

I have the same problem with one wheel. Discount Tire said there was probably a small leak or some other type of damage on the wheel itself -- not the tire. They recommended taking it to a wheel shop (or even just a basic welder) to get it fixed -- but couldn't locate the problem themselves. It only drops about 2-3 pounds per week, while the other three tires/wheels don't lose any pressure. For now, I just add the 2-3 pounds per week back.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 AM
gothchick

Follow the bubbles, my friend. Bubbles are your friends.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:46 AM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much. If you don't mind dirtying up your own bathtub and then scrubbing it way down, fill it way up with water and dunk the wheel into it.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 PM
nlzmo400r

valvstems on aftermarket wheels are a common cause for slow leaks because the rubber grommets shift around on the valvstem and cause a leak. The other usual suspect is a small nail or screw that has punctured deep into the tire and cannot be seen easily. It usually somewhat plugs itself, but leaves the 'slow leak'. Windex is by far a better way to check for leaks than just dunking it in water simply because windex bubbles easier. Also, the tire will never go lower than about 14.7psi if its just sitting in your garage because obviously thats ambient air pressure. So when teh tire is at this point, it is technically as flat as its going to get.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 AM
Bumble_Zee
FREEDOM FIGHTER

what about those tire seals in a can? can they be used with the TPMS in the wheels? I thought it could seal those little air leaks...
Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nlzmo400r
valvstems on aftermarket wheels are a common cause for slow leaks because the rubber grommets shift around on the valvstem and cause a leak. The other usual suspect is a small nail or screw that has punctured deep into the tire and cannot be seen easily. It usually somewhat plugs itself, but leaves the 'slow leak'. Windex is by far a better way to check for leaks than just dunking it in water simply because windex bubbles easier. Also, the tire will never go lower than about 14.7psi if its just sitting in your garage because obviously thats ambient air pressure. So when teh tire is at this point, it is technically as flat as its going to get.
LOL someone revived my thread and I had forgotten about it!

A couple weeks ago I took the wheel off and sprayed on some soapy water - sure enough the bubbles were right around that rubber grommet where the valvestem meets the rim. So I got a wrench and tightened the nut that clamps down on the grommet and tightened it until no more bubbles came out, but made sure not to over tighten to avoid tearing the rubber. Pumped it up and it seems to be holding pressure now!

Thanks for all the help guys.