Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How Much Airspace Can I Get Out Of The Hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:09 AM
kennyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Airspace Can I Get Out Of The Hatch?

hey guys so i just picked up 2 skar audio vvx v2 12's, I've been wanting to get back into audio for a while now and i finally decided to start my build. These subs require a good 1.5 cubic feet per sub so 3.0 total for a good ported box tuned at about 32-33hz, has anyone ever built a box that big for our cars? I've done some researching but all i found was either sealed boxes or a box with 2 15's which I'm not sure was sealed or ported.

Your guys help will be greatly appreciated!

also can you guys point me to the list of shops in socal, i remember theres a list of shops/people that do certain work but i can't find it for the life of me, I'm looking for someone to build a custom sub box for me

thanks!
Old 08-09-2014, 04:36 AM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Used to be a website called zenclosures or something like that. They had a bunch of prebuilt boxes that fit in the tight confines of the hatch. Don't know how well they worked, never had any subs in my car.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:08 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

If I remember correctly, the total cargo area for the Z33 hatch was six cubic feet. No idea on any shops in your area...
Old 08-09-2014, 05:37 AM
350zHalleck

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I never understood taking a sports car like the Z and adding hundreds of pounds of unneeded stereo equipment. Sure and aftermarket deck, speakers and a simple sub I can see because I really do love my music some days but honestly why did you buy a Z if you are not interested in performance? This is an honest question and I am not trying to be a dick. Please help me understand.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 AM
MonkeyMagic72

Originally Posted by 350zHalleck
I never understood taking a sports car like the Z and adding hundreds of pounds of unneeded stereo equipment. Sure and aftermarket deck, speakers and a simple sub I can see because I really do love my music some days but honestly why did you buy a Z if you are not interested in performance? This is an honest question and I am not trying to be a dick. Please help me understand.
As an audiophile, sometime you just want to have a great stereo equipment setup everywhere you can, home, office and car. Simple deck, speakers and sub just won't cut it, because every parts need to work together to have a proper setup. Quality amps provide enough juice to power those speakers and subs for a clean sound. Excellent deck and receiver to control those unit in order to work in harmony.
But honestly, I would not want to have that kind of setup in my Z, or any other sport cars, because I just wanna go fast in a car and nothing else. And if I really want to enjoy a great sound of music, it has to be at home with a proper stereo system setup. That's just me, my preference.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:24 PM
kennyy

Originally Posted by dkmura
If I remember correctly, the total cargo area for the Z33 hatch was six cubic feet. No idea on any shops in your area...
awesome thanks a lot!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:33 PM
kennyy

totally understandable so ill answer your question as honest as i can, when i bought the z the last thing on my mind was performance, i just wanted a compact car that had a sleek style too it. Ive always been huge into audio, i had a 2006 nissan maxima and i had a massive system in it, and before that i had an e46 m3 that had a pretty big system in it as well. Reason being i never was into performance was one, one of my closest cousins was killed by a "street racer" 4 years ago by a guy driving a g35 and it was pretty crazy because i ran into a thread talking about that accident, secondly is why spend a ton of money of performance when the resale value of the car will get trashed AND its not like i can take the car out to the track everyday or actually be able to use that performance on a daily basis without running into trouble wether its with the car itself or with the law. On the contrary i can use my audio once i get on the freeway on my commute to college or school every single day. I live in a really "safe" city where cops will pull you over for everything, i had my hks exhaust on for 4 days until i was pulled over to remove it, they searched my engine too see if i had illegal mods luckily i had just sold my intake and went back to oem so my car would've been impounded just because i had performance mods to "please" the people that say buying a z is for performance only. Plus having added power to a car will make you wanna step on it here and there cause you can't drive a fast car and not want to put the pedal down at times so its just better for me not to have it there at all because once i finish my bachelors for criminal justice i want to join the sherifs academy so i need the least traffic citations i could possibly have, so to answer your question on why i bought this car was because i liked it

Old 08-10-2014, 01:51 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

People buy cars for different reasons my friend. I know a guy that thinks the same as you and complain about every pound of weight to his car. However he cannot quit eating junk and is way overweight not realizing that his own weight adds to his car
Old 08-11-2014, 06:24 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had a system in the Z 98% of the time I have owned it. First I tried to keep it small and hidden but it still wasn't quite cutting it. The Blose sucked, the first setup sucked.

Finally I filled the whole back of the car with gear and I finally liked it. I have a rack in front of the strut bar at an angle with both my amps mounted on it and my second battery tucked under it. My EQ and Epicenter are on a plate in the hole where the factory sub used to be. Then after 5 years my custom made 12 in a sealed box was getting so worn out I was running half the power I started with just to keep it from bottoming out.

So out they come and in goes the pair of 10's that's been sitting around for about 2 years.

Gutted the back, made a false floor so the box has a flat surface to sit on.

Name:  EB0C6DCE-0EE1-4F74-89B3-4F2FB8A51AFE.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  66.0 KB

New box with the old box in the background

Name:  9D681511-55BD-486D-BCB7-EBAE404B26D9.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  72.0 KB

And with it installed.

Name:  D12CC7B3-E36D-4696-9B37-8246EEBB166E.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  76.0 KB

Then in reply to the guy above. I bought the car because it was the only thing that fit my desires. I wanted something relatively inexpensive, good fuel miles, decent performance, 2 door, rear wheel drive, manual transmission.

That leaves you with either a Mustang, Camaro or 350Z.

I'm 6'4" 300lbs. My knees are against the dash in a mustang, my head hits the roof in a Camaro, and there is a ton of room in a 350Z. Plus around here you can't look out your window without seeing a mustang drive by.

If I want to go fast I do it on 2 wheels. The Z is my daily.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:27 AM
92K1500

I forgot, box is 2.3 cubes @33hz. It was as big as would fit in the car. I had to take the corner support brackets out to get the box to drop in.

Also, don't build boxes when it's a billion degrees outside and you're sick.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 AM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

off the top of my head give or take

mine is 31" - 32" wide
height 15" maybe a tad higher
depth 20" maybe a tad deeper

single 15" sub up
port to drivers side rear corner

30 - 33 hertz
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM
92K1500

Mine is 38 x 16 x 10 sitting on a 1/4" sheet of plywood with 2x4's on the bottom for supports standing up on their tall side. Just low enough to sit under the corner supports and just wide enough that it wont be able to move around. It's not going anywhere.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:49 PM
kennyy

Originally Posted by 92K1500
I forgot, box is 2.3 cubes @33hz. It was as big as would fit in the car. I had to take the corner support brackets out to get the box to drop in.

Also, don't build boxes when it's a billion degrees outside and you're sick.
dang that thing looks like it hammers, i just put in my xs power 3500 battery in the rear running 1/0 rockford fosgate wire throughout the entire car...i could careless if i have no trunk i never really use it anymore. My subs require 1.5 cubes each do you think if i use all of the spare tire well i can get at least 3.0 out of the trunk? i found a shop to make a box for me but I'm trying to see what type of setup works best for me cause if I'm having a shop build it id like it to look decent. but thanks a ton for the info really helped me out! also being ported up does it cause any unwanted noise from the hatch when you're inside? I've been worrying about that, i put dynamat under the black plastic trim on the hatch but i haven't tested the subs out to see if its gonna still make noise or not
Old 08-11-2014, 04:51 PM
kennyy

Originally Posted by jdmfetish
off the top of my head give or take

mine is 31" - 32" wide
height 15" maybe a tad higher
depth 20" maybe a tad deeper

single 15" sub up
port to drivers side rear corner

30 - 33 hertz
i had a 15" sundown that everyone said wouldn't work in my trunk i wish i knew this before i sold it and got 2 12's. Are you utilizing any of the spare tire well I'm assuming yes since its 15" of height right?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 AM
jdmfetish

Originally Posted by kennyy
i had a 15" sundown that everyone said wouldn't work in my trunk i wish i knew this before i sold it and got 2 12's. Are you utilizing any of the spare tire well I'm assuming yes since its 15" of height right?
trunk is stripped no spare / no jack / no foam / no carpet

no reason you can not use a 15 " , if box is on the acceptable end of internal space requirements , this also allows you to use more power on it
Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 AM
92K1500

Yeah my trunk is gutted too. I don't even have the little cardboardish pieces in the corners.

If you don't put a false floor in it you can get a bit more room.

It will just take lots of measuring to make sure you can fit it through the opening.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:05 PM
kennyy

@jdmfetish @92k1500 okay guys so i just finished stripping the trunk, i took the spare tire out when i bought the car and i cut the spare tire bracket out today. Im surprised at the room there is in the trunk without the floor, I found a shop that can build me a box so now I'm just waiting for my next day off to drop the car off I'm gonna hope to get a box made at around 3.0 cubic feet maybe a bit lower and tuned at 32-33hz. Once the box is built I'm gonna have them make kind of a faceplate to put on top of the box just to hide all the dead space thats gonna be leftover and to make it look cleaner.

Just out of curiosity what way should i face my port, usually i face it away from the driver but in this case I'm not too sure. I feel my subs are gonna destroy my hatch if i face it up towards the hatch or just make my bumper fall off if i face it to the rear bumper LOL do you guys think it would sound good if i face it to the driver? i know its better to face it away cause the air bounces off the back but in this case I'm not too sure since the z's cockpit isn't that big
Old 08-14-2014, 09:45 AM
jdmfetish

I think you should sell the 2 12's and go back to 1 15

if you do that than driver up , and slot port to the driver side of box in the rear corner

2 , 12 may make it harder to figure how your port will be

but 2 12's will also go drivers up

another option is sell both 12 's and buy a 1 12 , but a really crazy 12 , like a fi btl , or dd 9512 or sundown ns v3

Last edited by jdmfetish; 08-14-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:13 PM
kennyy

Originally Posted by jdmfetish
I think you should sell the 2 12's and go back to 1 15

if you do that than driver up , and slot port to the driver side of box in the rear corner

2 , 12 may make it harder to figure how your port will be

but 2 12's will also go drivers up

another option is sell both 12 's and buy a 1 12 , but a really crazy 12 , like a fi btl , or dd 9512 or sundown ns v3

i was planning on it but i start school in 2 weeks and i want to finish the build asap cause once i start school ill also be working so i will have virtually no time at all to work on the car let alone leave it places for box builds. The skar subs i have right now are extreme loud they're pretty much the same exact as sundown but a different owner (same designer) and i had 2 sa12's before and i like the skar subs better, i feel 2 of these will be over kill for my little z lol! and thats that i love LOUD and deep bass but oh well the shop thats building my box has been in the audio business for 25+ years so I'm hoping they'll know what way to face the port I'm probably over planning it i should just let them decide what will sound best =]
Old 08-16-2014, 09:42 AM
92K1500

If you don't plan on competing I would do sub up port passenger back.

That's how mine is set up. The port it a little bit choked off but it still works.