2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Auto Climate Sucks for heating!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 06:58 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Climate Sucks for heating!

Anyone else notice the auto climate control is a big wussy when it comes to heating up the car?

I typically leave mine at 75, but now that its cold out (30 deg) when I drive the Z, the auto settings never heat up the car! I always have to kick the heat to max, and put the fan off auto to get it blowing.

I know the heater isn't hot at first, but the controls do not even TRY at all to heat up the car.. I have override it.. and then once the car is heated up.. the auto settings work fine.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 12-01-2002, 07:18 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

works as designed, it doesnt want to just blow cold air out, it starts blowing as the car warms up. I like the feature, I hate having cold air circulated around the car, just makes things worse.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:19 PM
WashUJon

The auto controls work like they're supposed to. Auto climate controls don't use the fan until the air has reached an acceptable temperature (in other words, until the car has warmed-up enough that the heat is working). Having the fan blow cold air will only make the cabin feel colder. I don't really understand what you're complaining about.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:24 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

If I leave it at auto.. it never heats up.. even after 10+ minutes of highway driving.... after which I cave in (because I'm freezing) and set to manual.

If I put it on manual to start with.. it heats up in about 2 minutes.

I'll put that timer in the dash computer to use tomorrow and see how long it takes for auto climate to start blowing hot air.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:28 PM
ares
Veteran

the heater runs off the hot oil I believe, meaning it further cools the engine just like the radiator. on a hot day if you want to keep your car from over heating turn on the heater. on this same principle, turning the heater on early will make the engine take longer to heat up. as for 8 minutes longer... well no. and the same amount of heat is produced in the long run, but untill the air hits a certain temp I dont think we car if the air is 40degrees or 50degrees.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:33 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by ares
the heater runs off the hot oil I believe, meaning it further cools the engine just like the radiator. on a hot day if you want to keep your car from over heating turn on the heater. on this same principle, turning the heater on early will make the engine take longer to heat up. as for 8 minutes longer... well no. and the same amount of heat is produced in the long run, but untill the air hits a certain temp I dont think we car if the air is 40degrees or 50degrees.
Either way.. the heater should be on (auto or manual).

Its 30deg outside.. probably 55 deg in the car... and the thermostat is set at 75. 75 > 55 = heater on So the car should heat up (heater air) in the same amount of time.. but it doesn't seem to be. I don't think the car is turning on the heater. Maybe it will not turn it on in auto mode till the oil is a certain temp? Seems like extra checking for no reason.. but who knows?
Old 12-01-2002, 07:46 PM
ares
Veteran

in 32degree weather, a fully cooled car will be 32 degrees, meaning it will not do anything to the air to warm it up, anything it could maybe do will be negated by the fact that stagnant 32 degree air is preferable to moving 45degree air. as the air warms up it turns on the blower slowly.

but of course, some times you do just want it on, and for that, the manual mode is there. I use it sometimes for defrosting the windsheild, I move the mode selector to mix, but nothing is blowing since the car is cold, but Ill turn it up anyway. this might not be helping anything, but it makes me feel better, so I do it.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:48 PM
qirex

hhere in our 30deg NJ this weekend, mine was fine.

Stayed off until the car warmed up...~5min from cold then blammo...HOT AUTO air.

Either time it or get to the dealer.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:51 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by ares
the heater runs off the hot oil I believe, meaning it further cools the engine just like the radiator.
Say what? I've never seen a car that worked like that. All I've ever seen use engine coolant running through a heater core to provide heat. I doubt oil has anything to do with it.

That would, I suppose, cool the engine to a small degree, but I don't believe the system worries about that too much.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:55 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by MannishBoy
Say what? I've never seen a car that worked like that. All I've ever seen use engine coolant running through a heater core to provide heat. I doubt oil has anything to do with it.

That would, I suppose, cool the engine to a small degree, but I don't believe the system worries about that too much.
Dunno about oil.. but in my dodge
the radiator coolant definatly heats the heater air. If you have a bad thermostat (stuck open) your heater will not work...and your car also never heats up properly
Old 12-01-2002, 08:00 PM
JZC

It's 30 degree right now...

A good thing to do is wake, run out the garage and crank her at least 15 min before you leave.(30 degrees in your boxers isn't that fun though) Go inside get ready and by the time you hit the Z it's all warm and cozy.

Crack the garage though if you're going to let it run that long. x_x
Old 12-01-2002, 08:31 PM
dragonbz99

chekc the engine or oil temp gauge when its int eh middle the heater shoudl be on
Old 12-01-2002, 08:39 PM
ares
Veteran

whoops yeah your right, radiator coolant does it. either way, radiator coolant is heated by the engine/oil/whatever else. bottom line, the heat must come from a hot engine. till then it doesnt matter.

but my Z warms up fast... 5minutes tops, and the heater is great, not that it has to work real hard to heat the small cabin, but all the same, Im very comfortable within 5 minutes, where past cars took as much as 15 minutes before I could begin to feel warmth in the air, and then it had to actually raise the temp to a cofortable level.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:58 AM
OP Z

Originally posted by JZC
It's 30 degree right now...

A good thing to do is wake, run out the garage and crank her at least 15 min before you leave.(30 degrees in your boxers isn't that fun though) Go inside get ready and by the time you hit the Z it's all warm and cozy.

Crack the garage though if you're going to let it run that long. x_x
Starting a cold car and letting it idle for 15 minutes is terrible for your car. The bearing clearances are max and the oil pressure the lowest. This results in the worst case wear and tear on your engine. You should always start and drive a cold car to minimize the wear. The same holds true for remote starters. I would never by a car with a remote starter. The owner obviously does not know or care about the damage done during the crucial warm up.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:57 AM
tbcz

porscheKliier, I did read the manual, and can not find the part about letting the car idle until it reaches operating temperature. The only advice given about warming up the engine is to let it idle for at least 30 seconds and then drive at moderate speed for a short distance, especially in cold weather. I know that "at least 30 seconds" is open to interpretation, but I have read in many places that leaving the engine idle for more than a minute or two to "warm up" is unnecessary, even bad for it. The consensus from the tech sources I have read is to leave the engine idle for a minute, then drive conservatively for a few minutes. Not saying it's fact, just what I've read.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:48 AM
OP Z

Originally posted by tbcz
porscheKliier, I did read the manual, and can not find the part about letting the car idle until it reaches operating temperature. The only advice given about warming up the engine is to let it idle for at least 30 seconds and then drive at moderate speed for a short distance, especially in cold weather. I know that "at least 30 seconds" is open to interpretation, but I have read in many places that leaving the engine idle for more than a minute or two to "warm up" is unnecessary, even bad for it. The consensus from the tech sources I have read is to leave the engine idle for a minute, then drive conservatively for a few minutes. Not saying it's fact, just what I've read.
Thanks for the support. I was not blowing smoke. I am from the midwest and I know I have read this advice in several different publications. You don't drive a cold car as hard as a warm car, but you do drive to speed up the warm up process.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:25 PM
koryo

i think the Z heats up really fast. But i have been told that all new cars do. (smaller water jacket, smaller coolant volume) i would say that it doesn't get real hot like other cars. in other words, it doesn't blast you with heat. when it gets below 20 degrees F the heater just can't keep fresh air very warm. Below 10, no way. the cabin will never reach 75, but it is a sports car, not an artic transport. to Nissans credit, i think the environment operation is quite elegant. i like how it gradually changes fan levels and doesn't turn on the fan until there is something brewing. (unlike Audi's) but to that end, it just never seems to simply turn down. Hot or cold, it seems like it's a struggle for it to keep up.

if only the seat warmer worked better.

koryo