Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

LoJack got JACKED

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:27 AM
G Spot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy_boy188
lojack is a company that installs little tracking devices in a vehicle so that if its stolen they can set the device off and the police can locate your car, my opinion, WASTE OF 1000 DOLLARS!!!!!! why spent money on something like that when you can just get full coverage on your car and if its stolen, you get full price for all the extras on your car and market value of the actual car, duhhh! this is why you have insurance, its your biggest protection, do you really want your car back after its been driven to **** by some crack head that stole your car.... didnt think so

Tim
LoJack does have it's benefits, and I have NEVER heard of any auto insurance company paying 100% of car's value and all other "stuff" on or in the car that's stolen, and I used to work with insurance companies. So, I wouldn't say that $1000 on LoJack is a waste. Also, sometimes, LoJack costs less, and sometimes more, so $1000 can be a bargain depending on a car.

Doesn't the LoJack need an external power to activiate it? i.e. hooked up to a terminal/battery of some sort, or does it have it's own internal power supply?

Either way, that sucks that some swipped your LoJack. BTW, I never heard of anyone getting their LoJack jack'd before. You got to admit it's irony. I think it's pretty funny. Hope they can activate it and track it.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:29 PM
The Mike

Originally Posted by hallnz
how legal is a stolen car?!!! LOL Legitimately is the way to go. It's just not worth driving your new one wondering if someday they will take it away.
Well that's the whole reason why they don't want the customer knowing where the lojack is installed... for fear that the customer will fraud lojack for the 10k guarantee after you remove the lojack / unplug it / destroy it yourself. Then you'd have to dispose of your car completely erasing all hidden vin numbers all over the frame in places you'd have to know already so it couldn't be recovered and traced back to you. If you think about it.. paying somebody in a junkyard who will turn you're car into a big metal cube might just do the trick. Lol, how evil this whole line of thinking is. Don't do it.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:24 PM
elms350Z

I got mine for $500 plus it lowered my insurance so it pays for itself. I agree although most car thefts are not recovered in time before it is stripped. But! sometimes they are. So if you happen to notice your car is stolen and the thieves are still stripping it, you'll feel alot better that you have it. You may even be able to recover whatever was stripped plus possibly catching the theives, and that my friend is priceless.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My lojack is not under the console anywhere - at the very back is the air bag device, forward of that just behind the shifter is the body velocity control computer (Yaw rate/side G sensor), and forward of the shifter is the unified meter and AC amplifier.

I do know where my lojack antenna is thought - and the antenna for the tire pressure system.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:38 PM
SSR Engineering

Originally Posted by CAN0802
I thought about that, and even "forgetting" my keys in the vehicle (minus the key fob), and parking it down by the border with a sign that said take me home to Mexico, but with my luck, I'd get caught. I guess if it is going to happen, it ill happen legitimately, and legally.

You could leave the windows down, the doors unlocked and stereo in, and a $100 with that sign and the funny thing is no one would go near it
Old 07-26-2005, 07:53 AM
hallnz

There are several different LoJack units you can have from complete car alarms to what I have "recovery systems". Because mine is a vehicle recovery system the only way to "activate" it is if the "vehicle" is stolen. NOT the LoJack!!! !@$%!@

another update...
Well I spent bout an hour with LoJack yesterday on the phone trying to get them to "prove" it was installed. Since no one witnessed it how can they "prove" it was not activated by the installer in his own vehicle. Just power it up and "act" like it's in mine and give my VIN #. So he told me his other installer found the ground wire that was cut off. I told him I can show you were the screws are that mounted the CD changer right next to the ground wire that was cut off so it's not your LoJack round but rather my stereo ground. I said I will concede that it was in my car if you can show me a power source in the general location of the "installed" LoJack that was tapped into to power the LoJack. Since any device can be screwed into the chassis ground (including my CD changer) but I know after speaking with my stereo installers that they pulled their own 2 #4 wires for power to my amps, head unit brain, and CD changer. So any power taps would be strictly for the only other person who was in that section of the vehicle, the LoJack installer. If you find power I will consider it installed. If you don't then you put in my LoJack. He Said OK I'll talk to my supervisor. So I am waiting for the call.

HOLLY "F" this is a PAIN IN MY "A".

They lost my second key to my car, the floor mats, were not going to get my LoJack swapped, and had no proof of my extended warrantee and wanted some stupid paper to prove I had that. I laughed at the clown (finance manager) and told him the only thing I have to show you is my purchase agreement. Other than that you have to prove I don't have it. Well NNA was able to send me proof I had it so I faxed it over to the dealership to get it swapped. That happened the beginning of last week. I got a call this morning from the warrantee dept that they needed some info to get this finished. HOLLY "F" why have I been in my car for 2 weeks now and no extended warrantee and no LoJack and no floor mats. Oh yeah they found the Key a week later!!! To give the dealership a little credit this is a NNA problem that they are being "stuck" with and not making any money off of so they are not particularly interested in doing it quickly, and the Manager let me take his personal truck for like 5 hours as a loaner when they didn't have any more at the dealership. I have to say that I would use them again just because they have gone above and beyond for me.

By from Pacific Nissan in San Diego and stay away from the other shop in town.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:55 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the problem with Lojack. It works after the fact that your car is stolen. Lets say you go to sleep at 10:00 P.M and your car gets stolen at 11:00P.M. You wake up at lets say 5:00 A.M. Your car has now been gone for six hours, by the time you call police and they get to it, policework is done in order of priority so if they have more important things hapenning you will have to wait. This is also assuming your police dept. has the hardware installed in there vehicles to track the device. So lets assume eight hours has gone by. Where to you think your car is by now. It is either already stripped or if you live where I live in Southern California the border to Mexico is only 2 hours away. Last but not least when Lojack does recover your car, they charge you a recovery fee. So basically not only do you have to pay to get your car out of the impound you also have to pay Lojack.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:47 AM
amallari

My first new car had Lojack and I saw the device being installed back then (1997). It has its pros and cons. I would not install it on my new vehicle because I would not want the car back if it where stolen. Just take it and do whatever! I have full coverage as well as gap insurance. Over the years we pay so much for insurance and extra stuff.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:44 AM
hallnz

right but I don't need Gap ins as I am positive on the value of the car and I get a 10% discount for LoJack in my car. San Diego has LoJack recovery equipment in the Police cars and once it's south of the boarder it's gone for good as I understand it. So I am reporting a vehicle stolen and if they don't find it in 24 hrs it's gone for good (as far as I am concerned). If they find it after 24 hrs LoJack owns it not me. They pay me $5K+the cost of LoJack+ my deductble and my insurnce pays for the "value" of the car. All in all it's a pretty good deal as far as I am concerned. The vehicle is basically worth Kelly Blue Book + $5000 if it's stolen and I don't pay for the deductable either.

As far as the recovery fee.... I did not/do not know about that. I have a question into LoJack now to see.

I have a meeting with the installer tomorrow to allow them to "prove" it was in my vehicle. Then if it was in there it's my problem. If he can't prove it then back to the debate again....
Old 07-26-2005, 03:44 PM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Here is the problem with Lojack. It works after the fact that your car is stolen. Lets say you go to sleep at 10:00 P.M and your car gets stolen at 11:00P.M. You wake up at lets say 5:00 A.M. Your car has now been gone for six hours, by the time you call police and they get to it, policework is done in order of priority so if they have more important things hapenning you will have to wait. This is also assuming your police dept. has the hardware installed in there vehicles to track the device. So lets assume eight hours has gone by. Where to you think your car is by now. It is either already stripped or if you live where I live in Southern California the border to Mexico is only 2 hours away. Last but not least when Lojack does recover your car, they charge you a recovery fee. So basically not only do you have to pay to get your car out of the impound you also have to pay Lojack.
If you get the early warning system, they start notifying you within minutes if your car is moved without the key fob in the car with you. To buy LoJack without it really doesn't make much sense, as it does not really give you a good chance of catching the thieves before they get away and strip your vehicle.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Timmy_boy188

Originally Posted by G Spot
LoJack does have it's benefits, and I have NEVER heard of any auto insurance company paying 100% of car's value and all other "stuff" on or in the car that's stolen, and I used to work with insurance companies. So, I wouldn't say that $1000 on LoJack is a waste. Also, sometimes, LoJack costs less, and sometimes more, so $1000 can be a bargain depending on a car.

Doesn't the LoJack need an external power to activiate it? i.e. hooked up to a terminal/battery of some sort, or does it have it's own internal power supply?

Either way, that sucks that some swipped your LoJack. BTW, I never heard of anyone getting their LoJack jack'd before. You got to admit it's irony. I think it's pretty funny. Hope they can activate it and track it.
Actually a friend of mine owned a 2002 Tahoe, had 20s, like 6 tvs, and subs, he was selling it for 22500 and got stolen the next day it was listed on ebay, insurance gave him a grand total of 34500, full price of all the "stuff" he had in his car and market value of the tahoe, he has state farm
Old 07-26-2005, 08:43 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

subscribing
Old 07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
hallnz

Final result was LoJack was not Jacked at all. A senior installer came out and met me at my car. He turned on some RF widget and poof was able to tell me in about 10 seconds that my LoJack was not only in my car but it was also working. It turns out the first installer was new and the orignial installer did not install it where he said he did. It was supposed to be in the compartment where the Bose factory sub goes and it turned out to be in the front left kick panel by the clutch in the divers compartment. Well it's now in my new car and LoJack installed it for free for all the hastle etc... (would have cost me $95).

P.S. No it's not installed in either of those two locations in my new car for those of you thinking I was dumb enough to give away the location of the unit.

-Charles