2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do you carry a gun in your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Polo08816
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plumpzz
A few years ago two bank robbers in cali robbed a bank with 2 ak47s. The police only had pistols. The two robbers fired somewhere in the hundreds of shots. It was the first time something like that was captured on live TV. It was an incident when two fully automatic guns were used in a crime, in the last 5 years.
Don't forget that those automatic guns were ILLEGALLY obtained. There has been no crime ever committed with properly NFA-registered automatic weapons....EXCEPT there were two cases where POLICE OFFICERS used their automatic duty weapons to commit murder.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Polo08816
Banned

Originally Posted by chimmike
What you just said is just plain stupid.

You don't carry a gun for the sole purpose of actually using it. A gun is a deterrent. If he had a gun, all he would have had to do is show the gun to the guy banging on his window with the crowbar. He shows the gun to the guy, then tells him he better not move, while he calls the cops. Then he tells the police that he has a concealed weapon, and that the guy was banging on his car window with a crowbar, and so he had to show the guy his gun to protect himself.

Bam.

People like you say things like that because you're afraid of guns and actually have no idea what a powerful ally a gun can be WITHOUT FIRING A SHOT.

I know your post is from like 2 months ago, but I couldn't leave the ignorance alone.

I bet you don't have any clue how many people carry, too. Probably 1 in 5. Yep, that many. Only places they can't carry are gov't buildings, schools, and churches. Everywhere else....free reign, if you will. Don't know about you, but when I'm in a strange city at a shopping mall that I'm not comfortable with, I'd sure feel a lot better knowing I have a deterrent.
Legally, you are giving real bad advice. You will be crucified in the court of law. If you are carrying concealed, you need to have justification for brandishing your weapon. That usually means your life is in imminent danger. If you draw your weapon and fail to fire, you have proved that your life is NOT in imminent danger.

The way the law works is that if you draw your weapon, you better start snapping rounds off before the perpetrator turns his back and you better FINISH him. If he's left alive, your civil suit will be worse because he can sue for pain and suffering on top of lost wages. If he's dead, the maximum the family can sue for is loss of wages. Sorry if it sounds cruel, but that's how the world works.

And remember, when the police questions, you say "I shot until the threat was over."
Old 11-15-2005, 06:30 AM
Polo08816
Banned

And if you just didn't want to use a gun, I'm sure a 3400lbs moving object is a pretty deadly weapon. You could just ram the guy into the guard rail. At worse, that's vehicular homicide, at best, its a traffic accident that your insurance will take care of.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:01 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Polo08816
Legally, you are giving real bad advice. You will be crucified in the court of law. If you are carrying concealed, you need to have justification for brandishing your weapon. That usually means your life is in imminent danger. If you draw your weapon and fail to fire, you have proved that your life is NOT in imminent danger.

The way the law works is that if you draw your weapon, you better start snapping rounds off before the perpetrator turns his back and you better FINISH him. If he's left alive, your civil suit will be worse because he can sue for pain and suffering on top of lost wages. If he's dead, the maximum the family can sue for is loss of wages. Sorry if it sounds cruel, but that's how the world works.

And remember, when the police questions, you say "I shot until the threat was over."
In the interest of open discussion, I believe you're a little off base on this one. Deadly force or the threat of deadly force is covered under the law. If a man is approaching you with a knife, his intent is clear. If you draw your weapon and that deters the attack, you were within your rights. You were never the aggressor and therefore the "threat of deadly force" was justified as self-defense. If he continues to approach, you have the right to shoot, and at that point, I agree with you, make sure he doesn't get up because he will make life a living hell for you if he does.

It's discussions like these that make it IMPERATIVE for every CCW Permit holder to take a class tailored to concealed carry. It's not about shooting the weapon, it's about knowing what you can and can't do before the shooting that is so valuable.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:34 AM
bstansbu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wild west

If you like guns, move to my home state, New Mexico. We can legally carry guns on us as long as its not concealed without a permit. Im going get me a holster today. Yeeehaaaa!

BEN
Old 11-15-2005, 08:03 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by bstansbu
If you like guns, move to my home state, New Mexico. We can legally carry guns on us as long as its not concealed without a permit. Im going get me a holster today. Yeeehaaaa!

BEN
VA permits open carry as well. In fact, if you have a CCW permit, the ONLY way you can go into an establishment that is licensed to serve alcohol is to open carry, so you must "unconceal" prior to entering the establishment. Personally, I think it's a bad idea and I wish they'd permit concealed carry in alcohol serving establishments, but with the recent democratic victories here, I don't see the law changing in the next few years.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:07 AM
cessna

Originally Posted by kcobean
VA permits open carry as well. In fact, if you have a CCW permit, the ONLY way you can go into an establishment that is licensed to serve alcohol is to open carry, so you must "unconceal" prior to entering the establishment. Personally, I think it's a bad idea and I wish they'd permit concealed carry in alcohol serving establishments, but with the recent democratic victories here, I don't see the law changing in the next few years.

Whats the idea of being "non concealed" in a licenced establishment if I can ask???
Old 11-15-2005, 08:17 AM
DayBlueZ

Wearing it in open view. It has to be carried so that people can readily tell that you have a weapon. Really stupid in my opinion. All that does is create tension and an uneasy feeling among the tree hugging liberals that think guns are the devil.
If something was to happen, you would be the first guy incapacitated by the bad guy/guys.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:29 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by cessna
Whats the idea of being "non concealed" in a licenced establishment if I can ask???
It makes no sense to me, and I have no idea why it exists. This law needs to be repealed IMO, but it's not gonna happen soon. I suppose the logic is that since you are allowed to drink while carrying, they feel that others would be safer with the knowledge that you are carrying. Again, it makes absolutely no sense to me.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:32 AM
Zexy

We are not perfect. People do stupid things...Period.

I just heard this morining in Orlando somebody got shot and killed due to road rage and somebody carying a pistol. Typical stupid **** carying around a pistol for "safety".

If protection is your priority invest in a tazer.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:44 AM
DayBlueZ

Tazer? Na, i want to know that if i am in a position where defending my life is my main priority, i want to know that i can totally incapacitate the attacker.
And i think there are more laws about carrying those than there are guns. Also there have been quite a few deaths from those.

I have been searching and here in Alabama, we can carry concealed in bars. The only place we can't carry is public demonstrations. And of course the normal places. Airports/courthouses etc.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:59 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Zexy
We are not perfect. People do stupid things...Period.

I just heard this morining in Orlando somebody got shot and killed due to road rage and somebody carying a pistol. Typical stupid **** carying around a pistol for "safety".

If protection is your priority invest in a tazer.
Did you happen to hear whether or not that person was carrying the pistol lawfully or not?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Zexy

Originally Posted by kcobean
Did you happen to hear whether or not that person was carrying the pistol lawfully or not?
Hay may have or may not.

Either way it doesn't take almost anything to get a permit in Florida.

This would be the wisest choice any person can make:
http://www.taser.com/self_defense/index.htm

I would also hate to live with the matter of fact i have killed somebody if i have chose to shoot somebody with a bullet.

Last edited by Zexy; 11-15-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Spideynw

I'm with The Brickyard Rat, just get pepper-spray or a bat. I myself don't want the tempation of shooting someone just because I get pissed or scared.

Sorry, I only read the first few responses to this post, and I am just responding to the original question.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:43 PM
DayBlueZ

I agree with you Wolverine, if you have no self control you should not own a firearm. Also, a bat is considered a deadly weapon and will kill someone just as dead as a firearm.
You know how many people i have seen get sprayed with mace/pepper spray and still take out the person they were after? At least 4 in person and plenty on video. Spray is a waste of time.
And the only reason i would consider using my firearm is if my life IS in danger. I would rather live with guilt than die from fear.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 PM
gdup35sedan

I dont carry a gun in my G but i did opt to have my 4" Buck knife in my driver door pocket, just in case.
-GP-
Old 11-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by DayBlueZ
I agree with you Wolverine, if you have no self control you should not own a firearm. Also, a bat is considered a deadly weapon and will kill someone just as dead as a firearm.
You know how many people i have seen get sprayed with mace/pepper spray and still take out the person they were after? At least 4 in person and plenty on video. Spray is a waste of time.
And the only reason i would consider using my firearm is if my life IS in danger. I would rather live with guilt than die from fear.
Who said anything about owning a gun? I thought we were just talking about having one in your car. Guess you haven't experienced someone who has road rage while you were driving, have you.

And of course a bat can kill someone. So, you don't recognize a difference between a gun and a bat? I think the rest of the world can, so I won't take the time to try to explain it.

Lastly, if you read the situation the original person posted, he said he drove away. I, for one, would rather drive away and live rather then have the guilt of having shot someone.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:55 PM
DayBlueZ

In a case of road rage, you life is not in danger. You have the total ability to escape until trapped. And if they get out and approach you and they do not have a weapon, your life is NOT in danger. Therefore you have no reason to shoot.
Owning a gun? You mean you would just borrow one to keep in the car? If you have a gun in your vehicle, you had better own it.
In the eyes of the law, there is no difference between a bat and a handgun. They are both deadly weapons.
I don't get road rage. If someone cuts me off i could care less. Unless i get damage to my vehicle, i could care less. Even then, it's just a car. If someone flips me off i wave.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Plazman888

He honked, you flipped him off. You met aggression with aggression and (big surprise) received more aggression in return. If you think waving a gun around will get you out of more jams than it gets you into, I think you're wrong.

I hope you plan on locking the storage area if you're going to have a gun in there. What would you have done differently if you HAD had a gun? Take the keys out of the ignition, unlock the storage area, remove the weapon from it's case (you wouldn't want to drive around with a loaded .38 banging around in your glove box would you?), and brandish it to scare off this jerk?

I think you did the right thing and took off. Better still would have been not to flip him off, but we all get a little steamed sometimes.

I love firing guns. I don't own any, but I go to the shooting range (indoor and outdoor) at least every few months. However I would never buy one for "personal protection" because 1) I don't believe it would help when it came right down to it and 2) because I refuse to live in fear, and buying a gun would be admitting to myself that I'm afraid.

It's a free country so just do what you think is wise.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Spideynw

DayBlueZ, here is what you said:
>>I agree with you Wolverine, if you have no self control you should not own a firearm.

I never stated that a person that has no self control should not own a firearm. No, I stated:
>>I'm with The Brickyard Rat, just get pepper-spray or a bat. I myself don't want the tempation of shooting someone just because I get pissed or scared.

So quit being a smartazz. No, I don't think you should borrow one and put it in your car. I am just saying instead of getting a gun, which is easy to just grab, roll down your window, and kill someone, get pepper-spray or a bat or a knife. And, no, the law does not see a bat and a gun as the same. I have yet to hear of a law requiring that you register your "deadly" bat, or of an officer approaching a vehicle and seeing a bat in the front seat and saying "GET OUT OF THE VEHICLE SLOWLY AND DO NOT TOUCH THAT BAT." And no, you never said that an officer says that, I know. My point is that officers do not consider a bat in the front of a car the same as a hand gun on the front seat of a car. They consider it much more dangerous, for a reason, which you apparently cannot understand.

Quick Reply: Do you carry a gun in your Z?