Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z DreamZ Crushed

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:08 PM
iwant_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im 19, and my parent will hopefully get me a Z when im in 3rd year university, thats when im 21.. ive been driving around in a pos impreza for years
Old 10-22-2006, 11:14 PM
AUtigers350z

yeah im 19 and i traded my 99 F150 + about $4000 down to get an 04 Z and made large payments for about a year and its almost paid off now. you can do it. i promise, you will appreciate it more if you work for it and spend your money on it than if your parents buy it for you.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Alang35

first ride was a 1989 volvo 740 gl. my parents were right to start me off in a car like that. funny thing is, to this day i still miss that car!

anyways, if you have the grades and ambitions, the z will be no problem in the future.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Ianmtx

You will appreciate your Z so much more if you pay for it yourself.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Ianmtx

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
There are a disporportionate [sic?] amount of young, "my daddy bought my Z" members on this board.

I really cannot feel sorry for this poster.

P.S. If they can't afford the Z, maybe a Sentra?
Hell yes! I drove a 93 beater Sentra for my first 4 years as a driver and I wouldnt've done it any other way. You do NOT want a nice car in a high school parking lot because some idiot kid will back up into your baby and then take off.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:07 AM
Jenn350Z

HAH!!

My 1st car was worth $500 (lasted 2yrs! ) and I had it when I turned 16 to get me from school and back. I would have killed for a Supra TT!!

My parents both drove sweet cars and could've helped me get a nicer car but I'm glad they didn't as it taught me to work hard for what you want.

You'll get yours one day!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:28 AM
Reyes_USN

Originally Posted by ZantiZipationZ
You guys give some really good advice. I'm never going to push my parents to do something they can't. It would be very selfish of me. My mom and dad work for every penny, and I really do think that they should not have to spend all of that on me. They deserve all of the money they make, and I deserve only what they want to give. I completely understand this. When your my age, you have to put yourself into your parent's mindframe to understand the choices they make. I love my mom and dad for everything they do for me, and I appreciate everything they have ever given me. I make straight A's in school and I try my hardest to give them every ounce of my respect, and gratitude. This is only a small part of my appreciation. I do anything to make my parents proud and to make my future successful. Again, I love my parents and I understand every decision they make. I can never say they have done nothing for me. They pay the bills, they feed me, and they put clothes on my back. If they stopped giving to me today, they would have given enough to me my whole life to reconcile. Anyways, I appreciate the opinions and advice. Nice to meet you all. <<<ZantiZipationZ

as usual im late on **** but yeah, glad youre pretty level headed not like that one pendejo who was pissed cuz mommy n daddy wouldnt buy him a Z. Just bust some a$$ in college and once you get that nice job then nab the car! look on the bright side, by then depending on how old u are and when you finish up your undergrad you could possibly nab a used GTR by then. Best of luck to you
Old 10-23-2006, 06:35 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
I wish there are more parents like your parents.
+1

Get a Job and Stop Begging your Parrents for everything.

You will be amazed at how much pride you take in something you earn youself.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 AM
boma

Hey ZantiZipationZ - That's great that you understand and you seem like a good guy. But look on the bright side, there are so many nice used cars you can get nowadays that are still sporty.

When I was in high school, (year 2000). There were no hot imports. If you wanted fast it was either a mustang or camaro. My first car was a 1999 Honda Civic Ex Auto, and I still got into trouble with it.

Look at all the used cars now: GSR, Type R, Celica GTS, 240SX, Si, WRX, S2000, Prelude, Scions (not fast but real nice), Mustang GT, Trans Am, Camaro SS. All can be had for 16K or less now.

Heck even the mainstream sedans have more punch than the imports of a few years ago. Maxima, Camry, Accord.

But whatever you do make sure it is a car you can afford for maintenance and make sure it is a car that is safe enough for your driving habits!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:01 AM
jamnew

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by boma
Hey ZantiZipationZ - That's great that you understand and you seem like a good guy. But look on the bright side, there are so many nice used cars you can get nowadays that are still sporty.

When I was in high school, (year 2000). There were no hot imports. If you wanted fast it was either a mustang or camaro. My first car was a 1999 Honda Civic Ex Auto, and I still got into trouble with it.

Look at all the used cars now: GSR, Type R, Celica GTS, 240SX, Si, WRX, S2000, Prelude, Scions (not fast but real nice), Mustang GT, Trans Am, Camaro SS. All can be had for 16K or less now.

Heck even the mainstream sedans have more punch than the imports of a few years ago. Maxima, Camry, Accord.

But whatever you do make sure it is a car you can afford for maintenance and make sure it is a car that is safe enough for your driving habits!

+1, good advice
Old 10-23-2006, 07:47 AM
UMW350Z

my car through HS and college was a 01 BASE saturn coupe. my parents paid half of the 200 per month note and i paid for the insurance and my phone. I hated it, still did, i begged and begged to get another one because i didn't appreciate it at all (i had no choice of the car and they could have bought a v6 mustang for 1g more since saturn's 'no haggle' crap made the price like 15g's), i was stuck with it and they made me believe it was impossible to get another car (integra or honda civic).

although i still have some resentment for this, it taught me huge lesson. nothing comes easy, and whiners don't get sH&^.

BTW, never buy a saturn, their no haggle price is meant to keep you from seeing how much these cars REALLY cost (15g car was PROBABLY worth like 7 new). saturns are extremely low quality and suck every minute that you drive them

the point is, find whats makes you happy. you can afford a nice car if you work hard enough. a Z at your age WILL kill you or maim you badly, there is no doubt in my mind. there is no substitute for experience
Old 10-23-2006, 08:52 AM
TurboSteve

When I was 10 years old my parents wouldnt buy me a viper. So I called the cops and told them that they "molestered" me and now I have my viper.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:21 AM
jckolnturn

What good is a Z at his age anyway. He should get something big, with tint, real dark tint. There is no room to get busy in a Z. My first car was an '86 foor door sentra wagon, fold down back seat . My first mod to that was half of a set of kicker box speakers made for a pickup, because that's all I could afford. 3 months later at 186,000 miles it broke and I sold it. Mommy and Daddy were impressed with me so they bought my sister a car I got jack so I worked harder for a newer car. I'm still working now but i can get almost anycar I want. My sister still doesn't work, got married and drives a Quest that her husband paid for. Do you want to end up with a husband or a Quest?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:05 AM
icepig

Do you really call your parents sir and ma'am?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:10 AM
tiki240

Im 21 and I feel your pain. my friends all got 20k sports cars @ 17 ish and none of them had my grades. what did I do? my parents got me a 93 240sx as a graduation present (with honors and advanced diploma) and as a gift for getting my eagle scout rank, they bought me a SR20DET. i loved my 240, it was fast as SH*T EONS faster than my 350z is. between the ages of 17 and 21 ive owned a 240sx (SR'd), ProbeGT (KLZE engine), Supra (bigger turbo and better internals), honda prelude (built and gave to little sister to repay parents for generocity), and now my 350z. not to mention a kawasaki ZX6R (2000), Suzuki GSXR 750 (1996 Special edition gold), GSXR 1000 (2003), AND now my 2006 Hayabusa LE. life is all about compromise, you know that im sure. make the best of what you have and roll from there. every car ive owned I modified, drove, and loved, AND made a profit on every vehicle i sold. patience, good deals are out there.

BTW- plenty of room to get busy in a 240sx been there done that and im 6'2 245lbs. If you have a girl that turned on, theres not a whole lot that will get in the way lol.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Zmazing03

+1 on the 240sx

No kid needs a $30,000 car anyway. If your parents can afford it and it doesn't hurt their wallet at all, then fine. Otherwise, they should not be straining themselves so their kid can drive a Z. I look back and I think I might have preferred a 240sx over the '86 Rx7 I had. Thats okay though, still love Rx7s.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Believe it or not, this is a blessing in disguise. When you buy your own car, like others have said, you respect your car and yourself more. Get things handed to you and you take them for granted. Save your money (if you do it right, you'll still be saving when everyone else is driving). My buddy still lives at home (his mother is working out of the country), he's 27, and he saves every penny. I bought a house (about $8000 down) and I make payments. Another year of saving for my buddy and he WILL pay cash for his house. Can't beat that with a stick. Same thing applies for your car. Save your money...when everyone is rocking RSX's, civics, and neons....5 years later, they'll be driving the same thing....when you'll be in a new Z THATS PAID FOR!!! Just my $.02
Old 10-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tiki240
my parents got me a 93 240sx as a graduation present (with honors and advanced diploma) and as a gift for getting my eagle scout rank, they bought me a SR20DET.

Eagle scout rank??? WTF?!! Where'd you get that...broke back mountain? hahaha just bustin your b@lls......couldn't resist.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:56 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a cheap used 1 and finance it $$

Quick Reply: Z DreamZ Crushed