Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z DreamZ Crushed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:37 PM
electricmarquis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant even imagine a car being given to me nor being able to afford one at 16....I worked as soon as I turned 14.5yr (legal in VA) and have never stopped. Im 29 and was just able to buy my Z new in 2005.

I never was given a car nor did I even think of asking for one. My parents did it right. I wasnt even able to drive unless I held a "B" average. When I got my licence all my money went into insurance and gas on one of my parents old cars. I WAS GRATEFULL that I was able to drive it sometimes on the weekends.

Dont WISH for what you want, work for it.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:55 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ZantiZipationZ, you sound well adjusted & respectful teen & it sounds like your parents have done their job well. Anticaption is sometimes hard when you do not receive. Irrespective of what anyone else has, it's far more rewarding to go out there an achieve a goal for yourself. There are plenty of cool cars, that would be a great first car. I personally think a Zed isn't necessarily an ideal first car for a lot of people irrespective of age. It can be quite a handful at times if you're not used to driving a sports car & the maintenance costs in terms of tyres, parts etc, etc aren't chicken feed even if you are mechanically inclined.

Good luck with whatever mode of transport you end up with.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dave079
Just do what most 18 year olds do and drive what you can afford and earn what you get. I dont blame your parents.
Yep. +1
Old 10-23-2006, 08:00 PM
M1NDBL0W1N

Its probably better off you wait atleast a year before looking into buying a new car so you gain some driving experience. I know a few friends whom wrecked their cars shortly after getting their license.

All young car enthusiasts will all agree - unless you have very fortunate parents, chances are you won't get the car of your dreams.

As I child I was lucky enough to have my parents spoil me throughout elementary school till junior highschool. With the 'I can get anything I want' mindset, I had my eyes on a brand new Acura RSX. It took me awhile before I could get that I wasn't getting the 26k car, out of my head. This coming from a kid who didn't even work at the time.

Now things have changed a bit. I am currently in the process of switching jobs to purchase a (pre-owned) Nissan 350Z. Ever since my realization, I got an amazing job with the help of a friend and I started saving money for a down-payment on a car. With my new job, I am motivated to work considering that I want this car THAT bad. Hopefully, you'll see it this way too.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:57 AM
wantsa350

Originally Posted by ClaytonC01
get your self a $1200 240sx.. drive it and work your *** off.. youll be able to have your dream car
nice, pretty much what im doing but i dont have my 240 anymore ive had two and they are problamatic cars.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:59 PM
electricmarquis

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you find you get what you need"

-best rock band EVER, besides LED ZEPPLIN
Old 10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Speed_Force_350

I'll sell you my track model Z for $22K if you're interested. I'm planning on getting a Range Rover soon so I could let go of this baby of mine.

Email me if you're interested.

Joelazaro@gmail.com
Old 10-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZantiZipationZ
My parents just finally told me that I was not going to get a Z when I was 17 nor 18. They said they couldn't afford a $30,000 automobile any time soon, and wished that I would find something else. All I could do was say yes ma'am and yes sir and walk out of the room with a mellow sad smile. I don't know what I'm going to do. I will never be able to save enough money by the time I'm 18. I guess I'll just have to keep trying though. My dreams are officially crushed. Maybe I can do it though, I mean you never know...

haha when I was 17 I was glad to have a used street legal Enduro.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:55 PM
ObZeZZed

I wanted a Z for my first car, hell I would have settled for a 240Z never mind a 300ZX (this was 1991 of course), but instead my very smart farther got me an 11 year old Olds Cutlass Supreme. I drove that for a couple years while working hard and then bought a Honda CRX, my first MT and I loved that car I was instantly addicted to Jap cars. Then I worked my a$$ off even more and got my my first brand new car in 95, Mitsu, Eclipse GST (now for sale 300k miles runs great except it wont start, best offer) which I drove all over the place and across the country for 10 years and then bought my first Z. There is alot to be said for working your way up starting with a POS. When I was a kid you never would have seen someone under 25yrs driving somthing like a Z. All you youngsters, just appreciate what you got cuz your lucky to have it weather you earned it or got it handed to you, most of us have to work hard, it really does build character, our farthers were actually right after all.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Speed_Force_350

sell blow and get a ferrari. Now that's a dream
Old 10-24-2006, 04:05 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Old 10-24-2006, 04:14 PM
iwant_Z

i asked my parents to get me a ferrari for my first car, they said no

i was so disappointed, i cried in the corner
Old 10-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Zmazing03

Problem with driving a beater for a long time, the repairs could add up to a substantial amount, in which you could have easily paid off a large portion of a car.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:57 PM
IronMedic

when i was 16, i worked my **** off to buy a $600 dodge 600 convertible. it wasnt the best running thing but it ran. my mom had it taken in for transmission work and she paid for it for me. she saw how hard i worked all summer. i paid for all my own stuff when i was 16. i joined the air force and got stationed in england. i started from the bottom and took out a signature loan for $1000 to buy a used $700 car. from there, i established some credit and i was able to buy a brand new 2001 Chevy S10 Xtreme. that was my crowning accomplishment at the time and i was only 20. from there, i just moved on up in the car world and owning some wild cars from all my hard work.
my parents instilled hard work into me and it paid off. i thanked them for all the stuff they taught me in life..especially my dad. he was in the marines so i was disciplined on a regular basis LOL! it paid off in the long run.
you seem like a smart guy! work your way up the ladder. it is something to be proud of when you are getting older. imagine telling your kids and teaching them the value of hard work for a car.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Fletch69z

Just work hard and you'll get one someday. YOu should consider yourself lucky that you weren't just handed such a sweet car. I can tell you that I take much better care of my car and understand the value of it because I had 3 other cars (all of which I paid for myself) before I got up to the level of the Z.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Acidskie

Originally Posted by Theatrix
You guys are awfully opinionated. Its all relative to ones means, isn't it? Consider a few possibilities. And this is hypothetical. A kid has his head screwed on straight, is doing well in school, has a direction in life and has worked hard up to this point. Second, the parents are well within their means to buy their son a vehicle like this.
Unless you are there, you have a kid in this situation, I don't think you get a vote that should matter.
Well said. My first car was a 1980 Honda accord. So I say well said even though I was not one who it was possible for.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:33 PM
duckypower

wow i feel really bad.........i turned 17 and my parents bought a 2006 350z convertable grand touring package with navigation and everything else......dam i even have nismo suspension and intake......i want to hide under a rock.....
Old 10-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Reyes_USN

Originally Posted by tiki240
Im 21 and I feel your pain. my friends all got 20k sports cars @ 17 ish and none of them had my grades. what did I do? my parents got me a 93 240sx as a graduation present (with honors and advanced diploma) and as a gift for getting my eagle scout rank, they bought me a SR20DET. i loved my 240, it was fast as SH*T EONS faster than my 350z is. between the ages of 17 and 21 ive owned a 240sx (SR'd), ProbeGT (KLZE engine), Supra (bigger turbo and better internals), honda prelude (built and gave to little sister to repay parents for generocity), and now my 350z. not to mention a kawasaki ZX6R (2000), Suzuki GSXR 750 (1996 Special edition gold), GSXR 1000 (2003), AND now my 2006 Hayabusa LE. life is all about compromise, you know that im sure. make the best of what you have and roll from there. every car ive owned I modified, drove, and loved, AND made a profit on every vehicle i sold. patience, good deals are out there.

BTW- plenty of room to get busy in a 240sx been there done that and im 6'2 245lbs. If you have a girl that turned on, theres not a whole lot that will get in the way lol.
eagle scout rank? lucky bastard lol mine wouldnt buy me **** when I made HM3 in les than 2 yrs
Old 10-26-2006, 01:08 PM
TT350zman

i have been working since i was 16 and now 19 im finally getting my damn Z! trust me man it means more when u work ur *** off and get a z. Same thing when u put mods on! it means more when u put it on then a shop. 07 Z here i come!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Manjot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iwant_Z
i asked my parents to get me a ferrari for my first car, they said no

i was so disappointed, i cried in the corner
I asked for a Porsche Carrera GT when I was 14, but my humble request was denied

j/k, lol!

Quick Reply: Z DreamZ Crushed