Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone gone from Porsche to Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Z-T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mentioned the Z and Porsche in two very different leagues, but I think I'd disagree with that. In fact, the past two "Z" magazines my buddy brought back from Japan, both put the Z up against the 996/997 on a continuous basis for comparison. YouTube videos will always show them side by side, and the fact that we're here having this discussion means they're very much in the same league.
I nearly pulled the trigger on the 996, but as I stated before, value played a big role and worries of RMS failures on the 996 had me very concerned.
That said, I think a used BoxsterS, a few years old, might be a really good option. It's a great handling car, it's beautiful, and you can pick them up for less than a used Z. As for maintenance, you're in for a world of hurt since everything requires an engine drop, but that might not be a concern for you.
If I could do it all over again, I'd play the same card. The Z, hands down, regardless of what teens drive it, regardless of the #'s, regardless of preconceptions, regardless of what you might think it is, once you drive it, it is an absolute BLAST to drive. After 2k miles, including 3 dedicated drives in "the hills" and one track event, I'd say the Z is the clear winner. Despite the Boxster handling and badge, the Z laps the Boxster (even with it's mid engine layout) on the track, and that's a fact.
As I mentioned, I considered the M3, Porsche and 335 (among others including an Elise). Once I set aside whatever possible "esteem" issues there might be behind owning a German performance car, the Z is the clear choice. At least it was for me, and I could have purchased any one of the cars that were mentioned in this thread.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Shabba2

Chuck, I am truly interested in knowing what your final decision is. Please please please let us know what you do...with pictures!

If it makes any difference, when I get home from work, I'm usually later when I drive the 944. I realize you aren't looking at a 944 or 968, but there is something to a P-car. I cannot put words to it...it's an intangible.

I don't need to prove MY love of a Z...I've owned almost every single model (240, 280, 280zx, 300zx z31 AND z32, 350 but not a 260 yet) and continue to be involved in this "club", so please don't think I'm hating on a Z.

But there is a reason I take the long way home in the 944.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by Shabba2
But there is a reason I take the long way home in the 944.
I almost never take the long way home in any car, but one of my motorcycles, now that's a different story. With a performance cruiser and sportbike that will both run 0-60 in near the same speed as a Z06, maybe that's why (although I probably ought to say that the shortest way home from my office has a LOT of twisties, anyway).

Come to think of it, Chuck, if you want to treat yourself to another toy, I'd highly recommend a motorcycle and/or waverunner--dadgum, talk about permagrin, wooohoooo! They're like crack for horsepower addicts. And +1 on posting pics when you buy a new baby (of any variety)
Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 PM
phrza81

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
May be a strange question but am pulling the trigger in a month and been looking hard at the Boxster or a three or four year old 911.
I have a friend who owns a carrera s4 and was looking to buy a Z or the Toyota Supra. He went with the Supra but from a guy who goes track racing with his Porshe S4 and was considering to buy the Z, hey, it tells me something bout the Z. So, Im gettin a 07' Z, hehe... I cant afford no Carrera S4.

He went with the supra for HP reasons. If he wants to play on the corners he takes his porshe.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Divergent13

Originally Posted by phrza81
I have a friend who owns a carrera s4 and was looking to buy a Z or the Toyota Supra. He went with the Supra but from a guy who goes track racing with his Porshe S4 and was considering to buy the Z, hey, it tells me something bout the Z. So, Im gettin a 07' Z, hehe... I cant afford no Carrera S4.

He went with the supra for HP reasons. If he wants to play on the corners he takes his porshe.
How much is the Carrera 4S? Maybe you could have opted for the less expensive Carrera 2 non S?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

This one of those threads that is interesting, goes on for many pages, contains lots of subjective points, and never resolves anything except what a reader wants to take from the many messages.

A waste of time? No. It's just a long thread that has everything from objective facts to some subjective comments and misinformation, and a lot of opinions.

I went from a 356C (in the early 1960's) to a 912 (4 cylinder "modern" design in the late 1960's) to a 911, to the Z. My only comment is that Porsche is truly great, but I do enjoy the Z a lot.

The best comparison and post on this thread is Message #60 by dchengmd. He certainly took the time to make an accurate posting, and he obviously knows what he is talking about.

--Spike
Old 08-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Shabba2

Originally Posted by Spike100
This one of those threads that is interesting, goes on for many pages, contains lots of subjective points, and never resolves anything except what a reader wants to take from the many messages.

A waste of time? No. It's just a long thread that has everything from objective facts to some subjective comments and misinformation, and a lot of opinions.

I went from a 356C (in the early 1960's) to a 912 (4 cylinder "modern" design in the late 1960's) to a 911, to the Z. My only comment is that Porsche is truly great, but I do enjoy the Z a lot.

The best comparison and post on this thread is Message #60 by dchengmd. He certainly took the time to make an accurate posting, and he obviously knows what he is talking about.

--Spike
Ah yes...a 912. What year? My first experience with Porsche was my fathers '63 B cab. A few years back, I looked a later model 912 (forgot what year, but it was '68 or '69) and decided that if I were to get one (a 912), it would need to be a '75 since that was the last year of production. Great cars for what they were...
Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
VegasZ35TH

I owned an 84' 928 Porsche before owning a Z if that counts.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM
phrza81

Originally Posted by Divergent13
How much is the Carrera 4S? Maybe you could have opted for the less expensive Carrera 2 non S?
the Hell if I know how much the 4S is All i know is, thats out of my budget.... haha but obviously my friend could afford it, ***** has the 4S, AMG benz, Supra and now lookin to get a lotus... JEBUS! WTF!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 AM
Old Chuck

Default dchengmd

I appreciate your comparing the CS and the Z.
I think you did an excellent job in giving details of their individual traits.
I have driven both the 987 S and 986 S as well as the Z. I got the same feeling about the power issue. The Z does seem to have more low grunt but when that flat six winds up, it goes. The times are deceiving because the Z feels stronger in the seat of the pants. The decision is more a handling issue for me as long as the acceleration is comparable.
I came to this board thinking I was going to get the 987S but the value issues cause me to pause. I can do either but one of the reasons I can is that I have always weighed my decisions about what I spend. That is why I think a year old 987 will be a better deal due to the depreciation the first year. Let someone else pay the 4-7 grand and can still get a 4-6 year warranty.
Again, it has been great hearing opinions and personal accounts and I thank each of you for taking the time. As one user said, this could go on forever as we all have opinions but mostly they have been very interesting and given me reason the rethink my decision. I will post what I decide when I make the move. Darthvol, I will call Crawford.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 AM
dchengmd

Thanks.

You're absolutely spot on about resale value. Let someone else take the initial depreciation hit. If you're really considering a 987S then there are probably some nice low-mileage used models trickling out on the market already. You might also consider a Porsche Certified used model, which not only means you get a car in excellent condition at a lower price, but also a warranty that's even better than the original - something like 4 or 6 years, or 100000 miles.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Old Chuck

Default dchengmd

We think alike as I will be looking at a Certified vehicle with around 3000 miles or less and a 4-6 year warranty which, I think is necessary with the cost of Porsche repair.
From the info, it seems as if you have a great looking car. The SY looks really nice on the CS. Good luck and will look for you at caymanclub.com
In the meantime, will still look at both camps....
Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 AM
spacemn_spiff

Its a pleasure to read a thread such as this, all well articulated posts and no imbecile comments.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Fletch69z

I'd just dump that extra money into the Z and make it faster and cooler than a Porsche. But that's just my opinion. I'd rather have a completely customized car than a much more expensive stock car personally.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 AM
dchengmd

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
I'd rather have a completely customized car than a much more expensive stock car personally.
If that's the case then you should have bought a Civic and modded that, as it's cheaper than a Z.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:33 AM
AREITU

Originally Posted by Z-T
The M3 is probably the only other serious choice. The engine is pure butter and handling is romaine-like crispy - plus it's a looker and seats 4 people with relative comfort. But it'll run you $10k more, and you'll end up with a 4-5 year old car for what you could have spent on a new Z. Factor an extended warranty in there (since so many engines get replaced-and keep a look out for crank bearing problems), and you're looking at an expensive car that uses 10+ year old technology...At that point, the new 335coupe seems the clear winner considering the power, weight and performance (I looked at these too, but recent talk of blown turbos, etc leave me happy I went with the Z).
I'm gearing up to buy a new car...I cross shopped against the E46 M3 as well (as well as the S2000, Audi A3 and Honda Fit). Out of curiosity I did check on the 996 and 987. The RMS issue scratched them off the list quickly. The 987's engine looks like it can remain in the car for most basic maintainence...you access the belts through a cover behind the seats, etc. A clutch or RMS on the other hand...

The E46 M3 motor wasn't as big of a factor in my deciding against an M3, as the other small problems that a few acquaintences of mine have with their cars did. Worn or broken rear trailing links, faulty gauge clusters (I've seen a few M3s on the freeways with dead clusters in the last 2 months), shoddy weather stripping. Problems that crop up around 70k miles.

As for the 335Ci, I haven't heard about blown turbos yet. But I've read posts about the high oil temperatures. People were reporting 240-260F in normal city/highway driving and 300+ on the track. BMW's fix was installing oil coolers on all 335, including non sports, and changing the temperatue gauge to read 150-340 instead of 100-300. In my opinion, that does not bode well for long term reliability. I plan to keep my next car for quite a while.

The Z is my top pick so far, because it's a relatively simple car. It's comfortable and quick enough for daily driving and as many have said, great on the track. Maintainence requirements are minimal compared to German cars as well...no timing belt, etc.