2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Woah, VDC turned off mid-turn and I almost got myself killed

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007 | 04:19 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD
Premier Member

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Actually VDC uses the brakes and throttle. If your fluid is low , to the point you get a brake light (letting you know you need fluid) VDC will turn off. It is possible he was mid corner with low brake fluid it was low enough to cause VDC to turn off.
VDC will not turn off if your brake fluid is low. It will just turn on your parking brake light as a warning.

VDC will not magically turn itself off just because of fluid is low. That would mean your ABS won't work, your brakes period shouldn't work, etc.
Old 11-06-2007 | 09:28 AM
imjdoggie

Originally Posted by blknblk
kegsbane.. I know the nitto 555's arent anything special at all. If I had the money id obviously purchase something better. Thanks for the recommendation.! My comment was directed towards the performance decline over time of the 555's. I am fully aware of the limit of my car and how hard I can push it without losing traction or getting into a sticky situation. But when I am all of a sudden finding myself losing traction in situations where im not even worried about losing it I start to question my tires. I have been thru many tires in my life time, some great tires, some not so great, and I have never had this problem. Didnt expect these to be any different but from my experience they are pretty damn crappy and would advise people to be watch themselves during the last 25% tread. BLAh

I hear ya man I have Yokohama AVS's and they are getting very very low on tread and man is it fun sliding around turns on Country Roads here in PA. But OP like some said earlier this IMO is a case of you trying to push the car beyond your abilities......................you were depending on it to save you and it didn't.
Old 11-06-2007 | 10:56 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
VDC will not turn off if your brake fluid is low. It will just turn on your parking brake light as a warning.

VDC will not magically turn itself off just because of fluid is low. That would mean your ABS won't work, your brakes period shouldn't work, etc.
Not true and it has been documented. Low fluid (low enought that the ABS won't work properly, but not so low that the brakes won't work at all; the brakes can still work if the ABS system shuts down) WILL cause the VDC system to shut down. If he's having this problem under hard cornering, it seems to be the most logical explanation. Regardless, it's an easy check and at least constructive to the thread rather than basically calling the guy a liar and that the system doesn't shut off by itself.

As to whether he was over-driving the car or driving beyond his ability... well, that's subjective and gets into the controversy of the dynamics of how systems such as VDC work and the conscious changes to your driving style you have to make in order for it to do it's job. By this, I'm referring to the fact that with VDC, you just drive and follow through and let it do it's thing (in which case, you're probably over-driving the car), whereas without it and you break the rear end, you need to counter-steer. SO, if you're driving it the style that having VDC on dictates and it cuts out on you mid-corner, you can indeed be in trouble, since you ordinarily would have been prepared to counter-steer much earlier in he corner.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 11-06-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-06-2007 | 11:55 AM
GlenRoseFireFighter

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Should also consider adjusting your driving style. If VDC did in fact disengage while you were in the turn, nothing negative should have occurred had you been traveling at a speed which was within your ability level to control.

In other words, you were driving beyond your ability, expecting VDC to fix your errors...
+1
Old 11-06-2007 | 12:34 PM
Boot's350

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Not true and it has been documented. Low fluid (low enought that the ABS won't work properly, but not so low that the brakes won't work at all; the brakes can still work if the ABS system shuts down) WILL cause the VDC system to shut down. If he's having this problem under hard cornering, it seems to be the most logical explanation. Regardless, it's an easy check and at least constructive to the thread rather than basically calling the guy a liar and that the system doesn't shut off by itself.

As to whether he was over-driving the car or driving beyond his ability... well, that's subjective and gets into the controversy of the dynamics of how systems such as VDC work and the conscious changes to your driving style you have to make in order for it to do it's job. By this, I'm referring to the fact that with VDC, you just drive and follow through and let it do it's thing (in which case, you're probably over-driving the car), whereas without it and you break the rear end, you need to counter-steer. SO, if you're driving it the style that having VDC on dictates and it cuts out on you mid-corner, you can indeed be in trouble, since you ordinarily would have been prepared to counter-steer much earlier in he corner.
well said.
im not here to back what mustgofastr said about the brake fluid and all that, since im not too knowledgeable with 350s yet, but i must say that i find these kinds of post much more constructive than the numerous "you were driving beyond your ability,slow down, practice!" posts ive just read.
Old 11-06-2007 | 12:34 PM
noir06

Originally Posted by bamyi
Where is the op?
Most likely waiting for a tow truck.
Old 11-06-2007 | 01:33 PM
___DJK___

Where is the op?
Starting more bad threads

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4648292

Last edited by ___DJK___; 11-06-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2007 | 06:34 PM
Spike100

Not sure how we rate threads on this Forum…

But, I would like to make my vote here for a weak thread-start with poor information that has the worst responses I’ve seen on this Forum.

Talk about guessing... this one is just terrible.

--Spike
Old 11-06-2007 | 07:44 PM
Sea Bass

Where is the op?
VDC turned his internet off.
Old 11-06-2007 | 08:37 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Z Phil
VDC turned his internet off.
No one could state this better than your wise observation.

Good one.

--Spike
Old 11-06-2007 | 10:12 PM
Fordmandan

This reminds me of when I was a kid and I'd make a mistake playing a video game and I'd blame it on the controller.
Old 11-06-2007 | 10:16 PM
Rob10_99

So "turning hard" is like jabbing the wheel to a 90 deg angle...?

Turning hard to me is apexing the corner/curb whatever to perfection while staying on the gas while smoothly staying in my own lane.

There is never a need to whip the wheel around just to seem like your taking the corner fast, the car does it well enough smoothly
Old 11-06-2007 | 10:43 PM
Z_Driver
Master
Premier Member

LOL VDC doesn't turn itself off.
I was kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe he hit the switch with his knee. I have never liked the placement of that switch. If your bracing yourself or a bounce it might be possible to hit it I think. Heck, even though he might have been going too fast for the condition the switch itself might be shorting etc....

OP have it checked out just to be sure ....
Old 11-06-2007 | 10:45 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Well believe it or not, if you get a low fluid light, you will also get a slip light and a VDC off light. I do all my own work, and after a brake bleed i have had this happen, just a simple fill and everything went off.

Second, ABS, if your ABS fails , guess what???? You still have brakes, unplug the ABS module and drive your car, other than the 3 mentioned lights , the rest works fine. Last if you have an earlier Z with the VDC relay in the fuse box, pull the relay, once pulled, VDC is gone , and guess again??? Three lights, ABS, VDC and brake light.

The two systems are combined, and dependent on each other. (Other than VDC can be mostly turned off with the button)
Old 11-06-2007 | 10:46 PM
NGZ

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
I was kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe he hit the switch with his knee. I have never liked the placement of that switch. If your bracing yourself or a bounce it might be possible to hit it I think. Heck, even though he might have been going too fast for the condition the switch itself might be shorting etc....

OP have it checked out just to be sure ....
No button in the Z is safe from the flying knee:
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/300890-vdc-off-200-tow-truck.html
Old 11-06-2007 | 10:50 PM
Z_Driver
Master
Premier Member

Originally Posted by NGZ
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300890
Oh man, that thread is too funny. Rotglmao !!!

Just thinking how I love to be going 25-30mph and pop the Z into third in a turn. It has so much torque that I can light up the tires really good and do one helasious power slide if in the right situation. I did that in front of a Porsche one day because he was cutting me off getting to the cloverleaf entrance. I just power slided(drifted) it around part of the cloverleaf until I felt I could ease off the slide without putting me into the weeds.
I laughed my a$$ off as I didn't really mean to do this but, I had to go with it or crash. The look on the Porsche drivers face was worth all the effort. I used to do power sliding for fun so when I get into one now I just go with it cause I know if you back off too soon your toast. The newer cars have such better suspension than our older mustangs and camaros had. But, in a way it's just like moto-x... cut power and you high side. - You lose !!!

Actually, that is when I learned how sweet the Z is ..... on edge. ;-)

Last edited by Z_Driver; 11-06-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2007 | 11:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by NGZ
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300890
Ive hit mine before autocrossing, everything was good and suddenly VDC was suddenly on. Maybe it just magically turned back on, time for a new thread.
Old 11-07-2007 | 12:43 AM
HighwaySpeed

Originally Posted by d!abolic
Jesus christ.. in the middle of a "normal" hard turn, VDC suddenly turned off and the car did a 180 and then some. Wow, thank god no one was near me. What the HELL was that? All of a sudden, it now turns off whenever I launch really quickly, etc? What's wrong with it? This seems REALLY dangerous.

"I am sixteen, going on seventeen"
Old 11-07-2007 | 12:44 AM
HighwaySpeed

Originally Posted by Fordmandan
This reminds me of when I was a kid and I'd make a mistake playing a video game and I'd blame it on the controller.
Old 11-07-2007 | 05:53 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed

"I am sixteen, going on seventeen"
Best comment I've read on this thread. You understand.

And to think people were actually trying to provide a good answer...

--Spike