Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tire setup rolled call. What are you running and why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019 | 10:22 AM
Bmsluite

Default Tire setup rolled call. What are you running and why?

My Z has some crap high performance all seasons on the stock 8/8.5 rims now. 225/245 Yeeeaaahhhh.... that's just not going to cut it.

What did you guys decide to run? Why did you choose that setup? How is it working out?

I'm considering between a couple setups: 235/40x255/40, 245/35x255/40, 245/40x245/40, though I really want to run 245/35x275x35 but I will need new wheels for that. I figure I'll work my way up the grip ladder as I feel out this new chassis (350z chassis is new to me).

Would just like to know how the car responds to the different setups from your experience.
Old 11-20-2019 | 10:54 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

if you are running 18's, most go to the following

18 x9.5 +23 (ish) front
18x9.5+15 or 18x10.5 +15 rear

255/40 front
275/40 rear

** edit, what i stated is if you replace wheels and tires.

Last edited by travlee; 11-20-2019 at 10:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by travlee:
carder24 (11-20-2019), Spike100 (11-26-2019), terrasmak (11-21-2019)
Old 11-20-2019 | 11:46 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

There's probably not many here still running the OEM 8.0/8.5 X 18" wheels any longer. The problem you'll run into is a there's really not much you can run over a 225 that will fit adequately over a 8.0 X 18 rim. There's not a lot of difference in feel for any of the sizes you list. A much bigger difference will be felt in the type (max grip summer tires vs, high-performance all-seasons) and model of tire. Currently I run the BFGoodrich G-Force A/S Comp 2s on BBS RgRs year round in Colorado. I ran max grip summer tires for years on my '03 track model, but grew weary of having to put the car away when the temps dropped below 40 degrees F.
Old 11-20-2019 | 12:17 PM
Mully

Tire size and type really depend on your goals for the car. I use my car for canyon and track shredding and live in So Cal, so I went with a 300 treadwear summer tire - Falken Azenis FK510. I've put one track day on them so far and was very impressed. I was running the stock set up before. I'm currently running 18x10.5 +18 with 285/35-18 square. I love how the car handles with this setup, given how I use the car.

What are your intentions with the car? Are you going to see any snow or frequent rain? Are you a grippy or slippy boi?
Old 11-20-2019 | 12:20 PM
iideadeyeii

I run a 275/40 on a 8" rear oem wheel, with oem size 225's up front. I probably would of went with a slightly better tire and 265's(for weight) if I had to do it again, but I'll never burn through these tires. And front tires I would probably increase to 245's just for more traction in corners.

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 11-20-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2019 | 12:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

What I run here in California probably won't work year round in Chicago but...

I've run every conceivable setup from 18x8 Touring wheels (wagon wheel six spoke) with OE sized 225 & 245/40s to (some 25 sets later) 19x9.5 19x10.5 with 255/35-19 & 285/35-19. Every set of wheels wearing Max Performance grade tires (and a couple of sets of Extreme Performance, e.g., Yoko AD08, rubber in the mix as well.)

The best overall handling performance (for how I use the car) I've found were 18x9.5/10.5 RPF1s with 245/40 and 275/40 Max Perf tires (again, likely not suitable as a year round for you). This is most likely attributable to the light weight of the tire/wheel combination. (Although in defense of my affinity for 19" sets; all of my 19s are very light weight vis a vis most 19" wheels out there. (Low-mid 40 lbs/corner totals versus the RPF1 setup at just about 40#/corner.)

That said, however, the most "fun" set up had to be Track V.1s with stock sized Max Perf tires. You lose a bit in ultimate grip (obviously) but, turn-in is razor sharp (very tossable for a bit of power oversteer) and they will let you know when you're at the limit of adhesion.

But will I give up any of my remaining sets - all 19s? Nope, while they take a bit to warm to correct op temps, they stick like glue. (And I like that because I don't do tail out bravado much these days.... too many other drivers on the roads in the hills).

Define your use honestly then choose accordingly. What works for others won't always work for your needs.

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-20-2019 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spike100 (11-26-2019)
Old 11-20-2019 | 12:54 PM
Bmsluite

I use the car in many different ways honestly. I love going out of the city and hitting up some twisty country roads but I have also gotten into going to AutoX which I find challenging and fun. I no longer go to the track because it's just too much abuse on my cars. So straight track use is out. Here in Chicago we have a pretty big drift community so in recent years I have been getting into that. More like learning how in random parking lots and empty turns throughout the city. It's fun and challenging.

I would shy away from straight grip as I wouldn't be able to drift unless I beat the hell out of the engine and clutch. I would like enough grip so I'm not wary of destroying a country road though. AutoX kind of requires a lot of grip but also requires you to be able to rotate the car so too much tire in the rear does not help.

I plan on putting on some federal 595ss tires. They're kind of mix between summer and all season. Usually I put on firestone indy 500 (summer, max grip) but they wear out very quickly when you drift them.
Old 11-20-2019 | 01:13 PM
Mully

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
I use the car in many different ways honestly. I love going out of the city and hitting up some twisty country roads but I have also gotten into going to AutoX which I find challenging and fun. I no longer go to the track because it's just too much abuse on my cars. So straight track use is out. Here in Chicago we have a pretty big drift community so in recent years I have been getting into that. More like learning how in random parking lots and empty turns throughout the city. It's fun and challenging.

I would shy away from straight grip as I wouldn't be able to drift unless I beat the hell out of the engine and clutch. I would like enough grip so I'm not wary of destroying a country road though. AutoX kind of requires a lot of grip but also requires you to be able to rotate the car so too much tire in the rear does not help.

I plan on putting on some federal 595ss tires. They're kind of mix between summer and all season. Usually I put on firestone indy 500 (summer, max grip) but they wear out very quickly when you drift them.
It sounds like two sets of wheels and tires would suit you well. I kept my stock 17s just in case I'd like to drift, in which case I would toss them on the rear and keep my fronts as they are now. Perhaps a setup like Mic or Trav mentioned for street / canyon / autocross, plus your stock wheels with some stock sized rears for drifting would work well.
Old 11-20-2019 | 01:39 PM
Bmsluite

Very true about the two different sets of tires. That's probably a good idea for my motorsport needs these days.

I might just slap some square 245 on it for now. That should make it tail happy and add some front grip right?

I've always wondered this but never asked..... what's the deal with slightly increaseingwheel diameter? Now that I live in the city and the roads are HORRIBLE I have been thinking about plus sizing wider AND slightly TALLER. I feel the extra sidewall will give me a little more comfort and be less brutal on the entire car.
Old 11-20-2019 | 03:21 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Mully
It sounds like two sets of wheels and tires would suit you well. I kept my stock 17s just in case I'd like to drift, in which case I would toss them on the rear and keep my fronts as they are now. Perhaps a setup like Mic or Trav mentioned for street / canyon / autocross, plus your stock wheels with some stock sized rears for drifting would work well.

Very true about the two different sets of tires. That's probably a good idea for my motorsport needs these days.

I might just slap some square 245 on it for now. That should make it tail happy and add some front grip right?

I've always wondered this but never asked..... what's the deal with slightly increaseingwheel diameter? Now that I live in the city and the roads are HORRIBLE I have been thinking about plus sizing wider AND slightly TALLER. I feel the extra sidewall will give me a little more comfort and be less brutal on the entire car.
As Mully said, it's pretty clear that your needs dictate at least two sets of tires. As you seem to know, drift and autocross place very different demands on the rolling stock. And neither setup is an optimized setup for track or hills/canyon runs as well as drift - although a well thought out street setup on Max Perf tires can serve your AX and street/canyon needs.

S'far as going Plus 1 or 2 to cope with bad roads isn't a good idea. The idea is to keep your rolling diameters as close to stock as possible in order to keep the ECU happy (if you have slip controls, TCS or VDC). Going with, say, a 19" wheel would dictate you run a lower aspect ratio, e.g. 35 versus 40, to keep the diameter close to OE; and that's going the wrong direction with regard to coping with potholes and rough roads. Staying with 45 aspect is about the best you can do and that means sticking with stock sized wheels. However, your second set of wheels/tires for AX or D, you can go larger wheel/shorter sidewall tire to minimize tire deflection. But... not really worthwhile if setting up for competition type use. My advice is to stay with 18s and run the size of wheel needed to fit the tires you want to use.

Everything on any car is a compromise unless you have dedicated equipment for each intended use. Tires are the biggest compromise. There's really no tire that does everything well.
Old 11-21-2019 | 05:58 AM
iideadeyeii

I have been thinking about plus sizing wider AND slightly TALLER. I feel the extra sidewall will give me a little more comfort and be less brutal on the entire car.
I plus sized snow tires on my Audi winter beater to increase the gear ratio because of high RPM on the highway and only being a 5spd, but a too tall tire is going to just look weird in the wheel well. I went up 3.2% and it's significant enough to notice. I'll take a pic of the new tires next to the factory size that is still bolted on the car tonight.
Old 11-21-2019 | 10:17 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

245/40 front
245/45 rear

enjoy

you can also do
245/40 front
255/40rear since you have the staggered wheels. It's an ok setup and changes your gear ratio
The following users liked this post:
jhc (11-22-2019)
Old 11-24-2019 | 12:18 PM
djnekkon

295/35/18 @rear on 11" width wheels toyo proxes.
275/35/18 @ front on 10". " " advan Yokohama.

reason: traction and florida heat.
Old 11-24-2019 | 05:30 PM
Bak3rme

Previous years I've run street set up as 18x9.5 +15 fronts / 18x10.5 +15 rears with 255/40 Fronts / 275/40 rears. I went with Hankook ventus V12 evo2 and they were great as a summer/street set up.
Why did I go with that set up?
A: Very common street set up on the Z, gives it a nice meaty tire profile and sits pretty flush with the fenders. I ran that set up for 2 years on the street. The tires were fairly cheap (under $600) and held up great even on track. Great tire in the rain also.

This upcoming year the Z will be a dedicated track car and I have ready to go 18x10.5 +15 square with 275/35 Federal RS RR
A: square set up helps rotate tires front to rear which means I get to use up all my tires and have them wear evenly, also just as important I have heard that this greatly helps with a more neutral feel on track (only from reading here on the forums and no real life experience yet). Also went with that tire choice because it was the cheapest 200 TW tire