Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VQ37VHR swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 09:50 PM
Kspinazzola

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VQ37VHR swap?

So, I just bought a 03 350Z with the DE motor, I got this car cheap as hell cuz it has 210K miles. Body is in amazing shape and it drives well. With 210K tho I’m looking to do some upgrades. At first I figured, I should do the VQ35HR swap, as I’ve been told it’s pretty easy, just a different wiring harness that’s not to expensive to get and some other little things. But then I started to think. Why stop at the HR when the VQ37VHR is basically the newer version of that motor.

So, I’m thinking obviously new wiring harness and ECU to hook up to the 350Z,
does anyone know if the VQ37VHR will bolt up to the transmission in the 350Z? I would assume it would, ive been told the block is pretty much the same.

has anyone done this swap? I’m sure someone here has. Is it a basic enough swap like I’m thinking it is? Or is it gonna be a pain in the ***? If it’s a huge job I’ll just get the 35HR and not deal with it and upgrade from there. But if it’s not a huge deal I figure it’ll be worth for a little extra money and the extra ~30ish HP to start out with before building it.

Any input is appreciated let me know what you guys think.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:37 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

How many people do you know that have successfully done this?

I've had my Z since 2005 and I know absolutely no one ... It happens (someone wants to do a HR/VHR swap) here every few months...someone with the greatest intentions gets the idea this is a good idea and starts a build thread and they disappear after a few weeks. And this is because the build falls through ... a decent HR / VHR engine is significantly more expensive than what you plan for, the wiring doesnt work out like it's planned, you can fit the motor in the engine bay for whatever reason? the fab work is too expensive? the ECU and tuning platforms werent planned for / budgeted for correctly...the list goes on...

now lets contrast this with how many people have successfully turbo (or supercharged) a DE engine? Everyone and their brother ... Hell, I'm working on my 3rd turbo setup and that was after two supercharger setups ... results are plentiful and produce four to five times more than what a HR/VHR swap would. You can easily supercharge/turbo a DE to 400hp to 425hp on 8 to 10psi of turbo boost (450hp if you're ballsy an OEM block like OMZ). You can spend $5k to $10k and get up into the 600 to 700hp range on 20psi.

Here's what you should do ...

You're obviously new here ... hang out, get a feel for things and read other peoples posts, read what people are doing with success to make more power with the DE ... If you hang out long enough you'll see that this swap is basically non-existent, and non-existent for a reason...does it happen? It probably does, but doesnt happen enough to create a trend of success? No, no it doesnt ... and surer than **** not for an additional 30hp! lol ...

Last edited by bealljk; 04-13-2020 at 10:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bealljk:
1BaddLSZ (02-14-2022), dkmura (04-14-2020), rustyschopshop (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 11:29 PM
Kspinazzola

Originally Posted by bealljk
How many people do you know that have successfully done this?

I've had my Z since 2005 and I know absolutely no one ... It happens (someone wants to do a HR/VHR swap) here every few months...someone with the greatest intentions gets the idea this is a good idea and starts a build thread and they disappear after a few weeks. And this is because the build falls through ... a decent HR / VHR engine is significantly more expensive than what you plan for, the wiring doesnt work out like it's planned, you can fit the motor in the engine bay for whatever reason? the fab work is too expensive? the ECU and tuning platforms werent planned for / budgeted for correctly...the list goes on...

now lets contrast this with how many people have successfully turbo (or supercharged) a DE engine? Everyone and their brother ... Hell, I'm working on my 3rd turbo setup and that was after two supercharger setups ... results are plentiful and produce four to five times more than what a HR/VHR swap would. You can easily supercharge/turbo a DE to 400hp to 425hp on 8 to 10psi of turbo boost (450hp if you're ballsy an OEM block like OMZ). You can spend $5k to $10k and get up into the 600 to 700hp range on 20psi.

Here's what you should do ...

You're obviously new here ... hang out, get a feel for things and read other peoples posts, read what people are doing with success to make more power with the DE ... If you hang out long enough you'll see that this swap is basically non-existent, and non-existent for a reason...does it happen? It probably does, but doesnt happen enough to create a trend of success? No, no it doesnt ... and surer than **** not for an additional 30hp! lol ...

good to know, thank you for the information. I have a friend who owns a VQ35HR swapped 350Z (single turbo) who claimed it was fairly simple. Perhaps he was exaggerating, he is a more skilled mechanic than most. anyway, my girlfriend has a VQ35HR G35s sedan and I love how that engine feels even in an auto sedan lol. I guess I will have to change direction with this build. I suppose I will have to find a DE motor and tranny to build and put in the car later. Anyway I have high hopes for this cheap 350Z,
Old 04-14-2020, 02:11 AM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Anyone saying a swap is easy is can't be trusted. Show me any swapped car that acts like it did from the factory, even if I paid you to you just can't. Bottom line is anyone wanting to swap out a DE for anything that will end up with about the same amount of power a DE is capable of is a lunatic. If you want 1000+ hp in a Z, then you can talk swaps.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:00 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

These cars are pretty sophisticated, and while a swap is possible mechanically, the electronics are where the problems lie. As someone who has accomplished an HR-swap into a DE-equipped Z racecar, I can tell you it isn't easy. And if you live in a state the does emissions testing, you'll have problems with CELs popping up from the swap constantly. Much of this was detailed in Nissan Sport Magazine several years ago, but that print mag is gone now.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:03 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Wayy to much cost for 30hp...seriously. You live in MA. I could do a complete turbo for your car for 4.5k tuned
Old 04-14-2020, 11:40 AM
Kspinazzola

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Wayy to much cost for 30hp...seriously. You live in MA. I could do a complete turbo for your car for 4.5k tuned
yea the swap wasn’t obviously for the 30HP. It was for a better starting point for a build. VQ37VHR having slightly more displacement and is simply a better motor
Old 04-14-2020, 12:52 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Kspinazzola
yea the swap wasn’t obviously for the 30HP. It was for a better starting point for a build. VQ37VHR having slightly more displacement and is simply a better motor
Rebuild your DE. A built DE will make (arguably) the same amount of power as a HR or VHR. Yea, you have 2/10ths of a liter additional displacement but in-reality it's not that much. Yes, you will have exhaust cam variable timing but guys with solid DEs are still making good power without exhaust cam timing. You wont have to worry about any gallery gaskets going out either.

Built DE with 20psi of boost will make as much power as a comparably built HR/VHR at 1/2 the cost.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Kspinazzola

Rebuild your DE. A built DE will make (arguably) the same amount of power as a HR or VHR. Yea, you have 2/10ths of a liter additional displacement but in-reality it's not that much. Yes, you will have exhaust cam variable timing but guys with solid DEs are still making good power without exhaust cam timing. You wont have to worry about any gallery gaskets going out either.

Built DE with 20psi of boost will make as much power as a comparably built HR/VHR at 1/2 the cost.
this is essentially the goal now. I will be on the lookout for a low mileage de motor to build outside the car until I blow up the motor that’s in it now. Now it’s time to drive it hard and see what breaks first lol
Old 04-14-2020, 05:13 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

If you think you need an engine upgrade. Swap an HR in to it as its a "Simple" ECU swap, and use a 3.7L Short block under the HR heads. IT bolts right up. You get the displacement, and not having to **** with VVEL.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:14 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

You wont have to worry about any gallery gaskets going out either.

If the engine is out you buy the 26 dollar permanent fix to this issue, and it isn't an issue.
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (04-14-2020)