Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need help with my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 01:13 AM
BrandonOrtiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my car

I bought a 04 350z with some wiring issues the car would only crank no start, found of the grounds was ripped so I replaced the ground now the car will start but not throttle response, did a idle relearn, ecu reset and nothing, checked the pedal for the green washer and everything looked fine car throws 21 codes and vdc and slip light are on don't know what to do, any help is appreciated
Old 11-05-2023, 05:11 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Welcome- and hope you got your Z for a bargain, b/c you'll be spending a lot of time and money to repair it now. Wiring issues can be difficult to track down and with 21 codes, I'd suggest you track down and hire a Nissan tech who can work independently on your car. How many miles are on this Z and what caused the wiring problems in the first place? Without hands-on details, the chance on any of us diagnosing and guiding you is small.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:52 AM
Aeneas137

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

try clearing all of those codes and then unplug the battery and plug it back in and start it again. The codes might be narrowed down after the ground wire that you fixed. also, be sure to unplug the battery before you screw with wiring. And check all of the fuses. there could be some blown fuses that would solve some of the problems.
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 04:56 PM
BrandonOrtiz

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome- and hope you got your Z for a bargain, b/c you'll be spending a lot of time and money to repair it now. Wiring issues can be difficult to track down and with 21 codes, I'd suggest you track down and hire a Nissan tech who can work independently on your car. How many miles are on this Z and what caused the wiring problems in the first place? Without hands-on details, the chance on any of us diagnosing and guiding you is small.
the car has 150k miles the dude I bought it from said he did a engine swap and that's when all the problems started
Old 11-13-2023, 02:26 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Did this Z ever run when you first bought it?
Old 11-13-2023, 03:55 PM
Donny_b

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Find out if he changed the flywheel. It could possibly be that the flywheel was not installed properly. The Crank has to be lined up perfectly with a certain part of the fly wheel or the car will not run properly and very little to no throttle response. Ask me how I know..
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (11-17-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 02:40 AM
WinstonBruen

Any update?
Spoiler

Last edited by WinstonBruen; 11-22-2023 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:15 PM
BrandonOrtiz

Originally Posted by WinstonBruen
Any update?
update: buddy told me the harness could be bad bought a harness and Same issues, checked fuses relays and everything seems to be fine, bought crank/cam sensors again replaced nothing, got a oem working maf sensor and nothing, I'm at a total loss
Old 11-17-2023, 02:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

Old 11-17-2023, 06:45 AM
Donny_b

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonOrtiz
update: buddy told me the harness could be bad bought a harness and Same issues, checked fuses relays and everything seems to be fine, bought crank/cam sensors again replaced nothing, got a oem working maf sensor and nothing, I'm at a total loss
I did an engine swap in my 350 Z. I had the same issues I checked everything replace parts. At first the car would not crank over and that was because I had to delete the NATS security system. Once that was done the car would start but ran terribly just like yours. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why the car would barely idle run rough and Zero to little throttle response. After some research I found that the flywheel has to be installed in a very precise way. I have a Z1 flywheel so I had to drop the transmission again and when I looked at the flywheel there's a very small hole that Has to be lined up with hey sensor on the crank. The hole was about 30° off from where the sensor is. I aligned the sensor and put everything back together. Before I turn the key I had my doubts as soon as I turned the key the car started right up. I'm not saying this is your issue but it's something to be considered if the guy you bought the car from did the same thing. There are a couple of videos on YouTube about this. I hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:33 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,284 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny_b
I did an engine swap in my 350 Z. I had the same issues I checked everything replace parts. At first the car would not crank over and that was because I had to delete the NATS security system. Once that was done the car would start but ran terribly just like yours. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why the car would barely idle run rough and Zero to little throttle response. After some research I found that the flywheel has to be installed in a very precise way. I have a Z1 flywheel so I had to drop the transmission again and when I looked at the flywheel there's a very small hole that Has to be lined up with hey sensor on the crank. The hole was about 30° off from where the sensor is. I aligned the sensor and put everything back together. Before I turn the key I had my doubts as soon as I turned the key the car started right up. I'm not saying this is your issue but it's something to be considered if the guy you bought the car from did the same thing. There are a couple of videos on YouTube about this. I hope this helps.
Good info in the thread but this one seems highly likely. The flywheel MUST be properly aligned with the crank sensor else it will not read and not start.

Here's a reference thread (one of many): https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/4627...eel-issue.html