Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bose auto sound level

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 10:55 PM
xXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose auto sound level

I've heard a lot of people complaining about the Bose auto sound adjustment. Has anyone found a way to turn it off yet? My Prowler has the same thing but it has a switch that lets you set it to top down, top up, or off so volume stays normal. Would be very lame if there was no way of shutting it off.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:24 AM
xXx

Default bump

bumping up for an answer
Old 10-29-2002, 11:26 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

I E:mailed Bose in August - the reply was "it can't be turned off - thank you for choosing Bose"
Old 10-29-2002, 11:51 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well with enough gonads, you could maybe find the mic and remove it. but I donno if that would work or just screw the system... or you could just find the mic and wrap some insulation around it so it always thinks its quiet.

other than that, they are supposed to be fixing it, so it will work as its sposed to, at which point I think it will be a nice feature.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:26 PM
xXx

That sucks. As it is I never use the thing in my car now. Oh well have to start getting used to it.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:31 PM
brickyardfan

Default Bose AudioPilot

Supposedly the fix will be available to dealers in November. Whether that's the 1st or 30th, I don't know. Nissan had acknowledged to me a few weeks ago that there was a problem and that they were working with Bose to fix it.

I have heard that the sound quality even sitting still isn't what you would normally expect either. Mediocre seems to be the best description. That doesn't seem to make a helluva lot of sense as I've had Bose systems in my cars in the past and they were excellent. I believe that Clarion makes the radio and that Bose makes (buys?) the speakers and makes the amp. I don't know if that is accurate though.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:48 PM
xXx

That could be good for me then as my Z won't come until January. I'm still torn between what to get. I love the Silverstone but I also like the Brickyard. I wanted frost leather but they don't offer it in Silverstone. (Nissan making some ultra lame decisions) Heck I probably would've gotten the Performance packg if it wasn't for the fact it didn't have leather.

Oh well, my initial dream Z was the Silverstone with Black leather and that's what I'm getting. Although I like the track rims better. God, why can't they just make the options available to all models. I hate that crap.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:09 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by ares
well with enough gonads, you could maybe find the mic and remove it. but I donno if that would work or just screw the system... or you could just find the mic and wrap some insulation around it so it always thinks its quiet.

other than that, they are supposed to be fixing it, so it will work as its sposed to, at which point I think it will be a nice feature.
The mic is under the steering column. Pics were posted quite some time ago. The wiring is a simple disconnect but never did hear if anybody tried it or what the results were.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:09 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zwindsor
The mic is under the steering column. Pics were posted quite some time ago. The wiring is a simple disconnect but never did hear if anybody tried it or what the results were.
I tried this fix the day those pics went up. Went into the steering column, disconnected the mic and cranked it up. "WOW! It works! Sounds GREAT!" When I lowered the volume to a normal level, "7ish", the volume started to surge. The HU was looking for an input from that mic.

The service manual has wiring diagrams for the Bose system and shows that the AudioPilot mic is tied in to the subwoofer amp which is subsequently tied into the other amps and the HU. I don't know how to disconnect it completely from the system, but I'm sure an audio guru could figure it out.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:55 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Thanks Droid. I knew the disconnect was attempted. Too bad it didn't work. So many of us would be for joy