Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Hard Top for Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 07:39 PM
006Roadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hard Top for Roadster

Just bought a Silverstone roadster.....it's so sweet!!
I want to get a removable hardtop for the winter and for more security. Anyone know if Nissan or any after market suppliers make these things. Also has anyone installed a proximity alarm on their ride?

Cheers.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:52 PM
daytona350zr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nissan does not have plans for this. My theories on why are, 1. Not all 350z are verts, so since the market is smaller there will be far less demand for something like this. 2. If you look at our body, there is really no where for the hardtop to attach too.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:19 AM
Richardew

I wouldn't worry about security as much. I've had a convertable since 1994. When I got my first I worried about people cutting the top and getting in the car, or leaving it with the top down and people getting in the car. It doesn't happen. I worry more about unexpected rain when I park with the top down. With the Z though, it is so easy to put the top up and down that won't even be an issue.
rich
'03 FX 45 w/tech, Black/Brick
'96 911 C4 Cab
'04 350 ZR, SS/BO, 18's & NAV
Old 02-24-2004, 05:50 AM
Intrepid175

I've always been a little tickled at folks that buy a convertible and then buy a hard top for it. Makes me wonder why they bothered buying a convertible in the first place.

Actually, I understand doing this for folks that live areas that experience significant winters. Meaning, three or more months of snow and ice! Glad I don't have to deal with that.

There is one other scenario that I've run into. I've talked with folks over on the S2000 web forum who run that car with a hard top 100% of the time. When I asked them about why they did that, their response was that they really liked the S2000 but don't like convertibles. So, they bought the car and paid for the hard top option. If Honda had offered the car as a coupe, like Nissan does with the 350Z, they'd have bought it. It's just that they didn't have that option in this case.

FWIW,
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Chasw1269

Default Re: Hard Top for Roadster

Originally posted by 006Roadster
Just bought a Silverstone roadster.....it's so sweet!!
I want to get a removable hardtop for the winter and for more security. Anyone know if Nissan or any after market suppliers make these things. Also has anyone installed a proximity alarm on their ride?

Cheers.
Black Widow w/prox. sensor installed. Works well, but need to adjust when weather changes seasons (sensitivity gets a little off).
Old 02-29-2004, 09:05 AM
NAPZ

I also was wondering about a hardtop more b/c of the New York winters. I have yet to see any after market. The best guess I can come up with as to why Nissan hasn't made one is because your paying for the option of a convertable, why bother with a hardtop(weather, DOY). And because theer was only a limited number sold in the states. Either way I'd like to have the hardtop so I don't have to worry about the weight of snow stretching out the soft top.
Also I don't see why from an structural standpoint it can't be.done. Tuck the top and latch it into the two latch point one in the top one in the back.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:06 AM
NAPZ

Although I'm no professional so I'm probably wrong as usual.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:54 PM
RANDY350Z

I don't think Nissan has any plans. When I was at the auto show, I had asked a Nissan Rep/ Engineer. He had said that Nissan had developed a folding hardtop, but the cost would have jumped it to 5000.00. he also said that Nissan won't add one until the next body change if any! I personally don't see how a top could tightly seal unless it would go in the back were the canvas top hooks into.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:07 PM
NAPZ

couldn't you just put the top down to use that back latch?
Old 03-06-2004, 10:35 AM
RANDY350Z

The problem is, it wouldould only seal in three places. The tannau hook spot, and the front top latches. This may work though since the canvas top seals that way anyway. I would use a rubber seal w/ a gasket, that wway it won't scratch or mar the protective tape and paint; plus it will insure a tight seal
Old 03-13-2004, 07:16 PM
006Roadster

Originally posted by Intrepid175
I've always been a little tickled at folks that buy a convertible and then buy a hard top for it. Makes me wonder why they bothered buying a convertible in the first place.

Actually, I understand doing this for folks that live areas that experience significant winters. Meaning, three or more months of snow and ice! Glad I don't have to deal with that.

There is one other scenario that I've run into. I've talked with folks over on the S2000 web forum who run that car with a hard top 100% of the time. When I asked them about why they did that, their response was that they really liked the S2000 but don't like convertibles. So, they bought the car and paid for the hard top option. If Honda had offered the car as a coupe, like Nissan does with the 350Z, they'd have bought it. It's just that they didn't have that option in this case.

FWIW,
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Yeah....ok.......do you even own a Z?
Old 03-14-2004, 05:40 AM
Intrepid175

Originally posted by 006Roadster
Yeah....ok.......do you even own a Z?
Well.....actually......*no*, I don't own a Z!

And what has that got to do with the price of tea in China? I simply made a comment based on input I've gotten from other conversations. I don't think I put anyone down or insulted anyone.

I've haven't seen anything, anywhere that says you *have* to be an owner to comment on certain subjects.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:59 AM
Richardew

Intrepid, your comments are welcome even if you don't own a Z. I trolled on the board months before I got my Z. I bought my first convertable in '94 at a repo auction (an '89 911) and have had a convertable ever since. Where I live, I can start driving top down on some days in February up until some days in October, so having a hard top option isn't worth the expense or hassle. I imagine that in Calgary there is a longer and more severe winter. An aluminum hard top would make sense. The ride would be quieter and it would add some stiffness to the chasis. Porsche offers them for the 911 and boxster, Honda has it for the S2000, and I believe you can get them for the Miata also. Don't know about BMW though. I imagine that you (006) have another vehicle besides the Z. Even with snow tires, I don't see the Z getting around very well in the snow.
rich
Old 03-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Intrepid175

Originally posted by Richardew
Intrepid, your comments are welcome even if you don't own a Z. I trolled on the board months before I got my Z. I bought my first convertable in '94 at a repo auction (an '89 911) and have had a convertable ever since. Where I live, I can start driving top down on some days in February up until some days in October, so having a hard top option isn't worth the expense or hassle. I imagine that in Calgary there is a longer and more severe winter. An aluminum hard top would make sense. The ride would be quieter and it would add some stiffness to the chasis. Porsche offers them for the 911 and boxster, Honda has it for the S2000, and I believe you can get them for the Miata also. Don't know about BMW though. I imagine that you (006) have another vehicle besides the Z. Even with snow tires, I don't see the Z getting around very well in the snow.
rich
Hi Rich,

I genuinely didn't mean to put anyone down as far as their desire to put a hard top on the roadster. When I first ran into this phenomenon over on the S2000 forum, especially those who run the hard top 12 month a year, I thought, "that's crazy, why buy a convertible and then slap a hard top on it?"

I finally asked and got the explanation I mentioned in my previous post. It wasn't anything I would have personally thought of but it made sense to me and if that person is happy with the car that way, who am I to pass judgment. To each their own.

I *do* appreciate your comments though, Rich. Thanks! As for the cars you mention, I have seen Miata's with hard tops on them. I don't know if they were Mazda built or aftermarket. I have seen one BMW Z3 with a hard top. I don't know about the Z4.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:36 PM
006Roadster

Originally posted by Richardew
rich
Thanks for the POSITIVE feedback, I just don't like when people make snap judjments on someone elses purchase. Yes the winters here are long but there is not alot of snow so you can drive the car with the top up even in late Feb. The hard top would be great for that and also added security. May through Sept. I don't plan to drive much with the top up!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Zcollector

My dealer here mentioned that it was in the works.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:30 AM
RANDY350Z

After owning an S2000 for 3 years I can say I wish there was a Hard top availible righ when I purchased mine! I combed the interent for 6 months trying to findout if Honda was bringi thiers over--finally found a company to import one for around 3300.00 by then Honda was releasing them in the US. Any one who has a a convertible or currently owns one finds out the need for a hard top. I hope Nissan will come out w/ one or on the next model have a folding hardtop--I would be willing to fork another 2000 - 3000 for that!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:45 PM
T.Lowry

Originally posted by RANDY350Z
After owning an S2000 for 3 years I can say I wish there was a Hard top availible righ when I purchased mine! I combed the interent for 6 months trying to findout if Honda was bringi thiers over--finally found a company to import one for around 3300.00 by then Honda was releasing them in the US. Any one who has a a convertible or currently owns one finds out the need for a hard top. I hope Nissan will come out w/ one or on the next model have a folding hardtop--I would be willing to fork another 2000 - 3000 for that!

I don't know if I'd want a folding hardtop. I like the ragtop. However, I probably would eventually buy an aftermarket hardtop like the S2000.

Do you have to do something strange to the S2000 to put on the hardtop? Is it a hard thing to do?
Old 03-24-2004, 05:25 AM
bluefish

if anyone knows of a prototype hardtop needing a home, or a manufacture needing help with the development of a true hardtop for the Roadster we would be willing to help.

we have had over 20 inquires for such a product, my trip to SEMA last year yielded no takers on the production side.

If someone has info on a company planning to make one, please have them contact me asap...
Old 03-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Hupperware

I was thinking about the same thing. There are 3 latch points on the front. The rear latch point would be inside the toneau cover. You could actually make the top look like a coupe by extending it out to the trunk. It would be hinged on the top where so that the top and the trunk move together. I just hate looking at a Miata with a hard top thinking that's what it would look like. (Come to think of it I hate looking at Miatas) I think you could put enough of a pull on a toneau latch to seal the top.