Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 06:35 AM
JNO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COULD YOU MAKE ME A BRACKET??

I JUST GOT MY VAL AND I AM LOOKING TO DO A STEALTH INSTALL. I LOVED YOUR BRACKET SYSTEM. WHAT WOULD IT COST TO HAVE YOU MAKE ME A BRACKET AND STRAP??
THANKS
JNO-
Old 04-22-2003, 07:58 AM
commasense

Default Re: tested mount this weekend - to works

Originally posted by drivesolo
This past weekend, I attended the IRDC Performance Racing School at the regional racetrack in the Seattle area, Pacific Raceways (formerly S.I.R.). As a rule they instructed us to remove everything from the interior of our vehicles. Just out of curiosity I deliberately left the V1 in so I could see what would happen when subjected to a full day of heavy lateral loading. I noted it's exact initial position before we began the day, noting its proximity to details on the edge of the headliner. Luckily my instructor did not notice the V1 even after a detailed tech inspection. It wasn't that he wasn't thorough; it's just that it's in a location that no one even considers looking at.

9 hrs later after a full day of tossing the Z around like never before, which was an awesome experience to begin with (I'll have to post the info on my experience), I checked it as I was putting everything back in. Just to let you know, the lateral g's and the braking that the car went through that day were probably the maximum that a stock Performance model could attain, short of hitting something solid. To my surprise it was exactly in the same position, from what I could tell it did not move at all. The remote until didn't move either, although by being so light it probably has very little possibility of ever moving.
Drivesolo,

First of all, thanks for providing me with one of your brackets. It's working great, and I really like it.

That said, I have to say, with all due respect, that it was extremely unwise of you to have made the experiment you describe above, and I strongly recommend that no one else follow your example. The people who run HPDEs don't make up these rules for the fun of it. They are trying to ensure your safety and that of your instructors and fellow students. They have seen what happens when items in cars become ballistic missiles, and it's not pretty.

Even apparently innocuous items can become problems at high speeds and high Gs: a piece of paper that starts flying around the cockpit could distract you at exactly the wrong moment and cause an accident. A thump from something loose in the glove box could make you think something had broken.

You lucked out: your bracket stayed in place. But if you had been wrong and it had flown into the back of your head while you were braking from 120 mph, we might have been reading your obituary instead of your post. And for what? So you could prove something about the brilliance of your design?

Also consider that in some organizations, if the officials had found out you left the detector in place while running, they could have banned you from that session, or from all future sessions with them.

I have run four HPDEs since installing your bracket and I have taken it out every time. It's easy! And that's the dumbest thing about your experiment: your design makes it easy to take out and put back in. THERE'S NO REASON TO LEAVE IT IN!

There is nothing to gain and a lot to lose by leaving a radar detector (or any other potential missile) in place while running an HPDE. DON'T DO IT!
Old 04-22-2003, 12:06 PM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No argument from me, you are right.

commasense,

I appreciate your concern. After putting aside my own opinions of what I did and looking at the situation from a totally impartial point of view, you are correct. I shouldn't have done what I did. I don't want anyone that has received one of my brackets or will do this setup to think that I condone any type of irresponsible testing. Earlier in one of the the post on this thread I made a mention that you should not attempt to adjust the volume of the detector while moving as it is dangerous. I guess I should have exercised the same caution when considering testing it that day.

There's nothing I can really say in my defense, it was wrong and I should have known better.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:22 PM
chee-z-name

Hey do guys know if a stealth install has any (i.e. voiding) effect on your warranty?

SS
Old 01-25-2004, 11:37 AM
little_rod

Bumping for my own installation benefit this week.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:40 AM
sparky3Z

Nice installation with the bracket. The only problem I see is the "sheath." My Valentine gets really warm after it's been on a while and I believe the metal case is designed to act as a heat sink to dissipate excess heat. Seems like the sheath would act like a sweater and hold some of that heat in and perhaps shorten the life of the unit. Just a thought.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:59 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by sparky3Z
Nice installation with the bracket. The only problem I see is the "sheath." My Valentine gets really warm after it's been on a while and I believe the metal case is designed to act as a heat sink to dissipate excess heat. Seems like the sheath would act like a sweater and hold some of that heat in and perhaps shorten the life of the unit. Just a thought.
You know, that's a concern of mine too. During the summer it gets pretty hot inside and sometimes I forget to remove the V1 from the windshield.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:02 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had totally forgotten about this post until I got an e-mail notifying me of new posts to it.

Well, it's been almost a year since I've had the V1 in this configuration and I'm happy to say that it I haven't had a single problem. We don't have the hotest summer's here in Seattle so it never got pushed to the exterme heat tests as it would in the southern part of the country, but it's been hot enough where my car's been sitting out in the sun and I had to open up the windows and doors to allow the wheel and shift *** to cool off before driving. I actually burnt my palm on the aluminum part of the shift **** once. If it can get like that here, I can only imagine how hot it can become in other parts of the country.

No problems so far. But I think that using rubber bands instead of a nylon sheath would take care of any concerns of over heating.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never noticed any heat problems either... but then again, I'm in Seattle as well. I didn't make my own bracket, I just modified the one that comes with the V1.